Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Perfect Desk.

J.J. Gittes

A-List Customer
ThesFlishThngs said:
This is not the most favorable photo, but you can get a gist of my desk (and wooden rolling chair) here:
414127849_567a3daeb4_o.jpg

The door on the left opens to storage, and a metal, spring-loaded shelf. There are three drawers on the right, as well as a pull-out plank above them, for added workspace. My husband found both the desk and the chair (at different times) on his route when he was a letter carrier, just left out for the garbage men, if you can believe it.
My desk looks just like yours except it is blonde wood and has a dark green linoleum top!

Ethan Bentley

One Too Many
Shangas said:
I wish I had a nice bureau similar to this one:

engelsesecretaire.jpg

It would encourage me to keep it clean.

My desk top is very similar to this, almost exactly the same really but perhaps a little wider as it is a desk and not a bureau. The pigeon holes are very useful and I keep a drop of a special something in cupboard.

MikeBravo said:
Not sure if it's perfect, but I wants me one

globewe3.JPG

set43.JPG

drool Just not sure if available in Australia

in the US you would see this desk used by government and industry from the 50's on. These days the makers tend to shy away from the industrial grey and want more synthetic wood tones.

David Conwill

Call Me a Cab
John in Covina said:
in the US you would see this desk used by government and industry from the 50's on. These days the makers tend to shy away from the industrial grey and want more synthetic wood tones.

I don't see any compound curves on those tanker desks, I would think anyone with basic sheetmetal tools could build one if you can't find one. I'd still rather have a vintage piece, as the pulls, tracks, and the like would undoubtedly be superior to off-the-shelf stuff available today; but it might be an option.

-Dave

PS I just checked out Aussie eBay, and I see what you mean. Searches for "tanker desk", "government desk", and "steel desk" all brought up nothing.

Kahuna

One of the Regulars
I'll resurrect this old thread with a picture of my "perfect" desk. I know it probably isn't big enough to serve in a real office but it suits my Hawaiiana themed room quite well.
tikiroom004.jpg

tikiroom005.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
StrangeRay