Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

THE PHILCO HAS ARRIVED!!!

LizzieMaine

Bartender
chrismak said:
Question is.. do I replace all the parts and wiring.. or no?

*First* you read one or more of the books cited above, and the website on replacing capacitors. Second, if you don't already have a volt-amp-ohm meter, you get one -- you'll need it.

Third, study the schematic, parts list, and chassis diagram. Identify every part you can see and match it with the parts list. Know what every part is and why it's there. Be absolutely sure that everything that's supposed to be there *is* there.

Then, and only then, should you start working on the set. The electrolytic capacitors will need to be replaced first. The other caps should follow, one at a time. After replacing each cap, check the radio and make sure you have it connected properly -- don't try to replace them all in one sitting, because if you make a mistake it'll be that much more difficult to find it.

Don't replace the resistors at this point, unless you see one that's obviously charred. Don't touch the coils. Don't twiddle any screwdriver adjustments -- they're set the way they are for a reason.

Inspect the wiring carefully -- it looks like most of your insulation is reasonably good, so you can leave it as is for now. If during work on the set you move a wire and insulation comes off, you can either replace that wire or cover it with heat-shrink tubing.

And once again, take your time. There's no rush. The radio I'm listening to right now sat in my garage for over twenty years before I finally got around to fixing it.

.///////,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,////

JimWagner

Practically Family
Lizzie,

You give better repair advice than most formally trained electronic technicians!

Very impressive. Pay close attention to what the lady says, guys.

Jim (NN4JW) Wagner

markc

New in Town
chrismak said:
So here is the inside of the radio.. Dunno what should be done to it.. but I figure I may need to pay someone to overhaul it.. How much would that cost?

4201439771_73f2b568da_b.jpg

Thats a beautiful radio! But, what I want to know is, where are all of the tubes? :p

The thing I didn't notice reading was, often when energizing older radios, it is good to use a variac (variable AC output) to slowly bring it up.

Thoughts?

/Mark

Forgotten Man

One Too Many
Variacs are good when one isn't sure of the working ability of an original radio that hasn't been tested or played in a long time.

It may be good to use after a set is restored... just to ease it into service again.

I need one of them things someday soon, I think I'll keep my eyes open on ebay for one.

-=R

Bourbon Guy

A-List Customer
The only thing I would add is to read all the references Lizzie gave you before you poke around under the chassis, paying particular attention to all the safety precautions they will give you. Even after the radio is turned off and unplugged, electrolytic capacitors can still be holding a residual charge that will give you a good shock. Then do everything Lizzie said, in the order she advised.

chrismak

Familiar Face
I have to figure out the replacement types for the bulbs and the for the electrolytic capacitors and the potentiometers at the radiodaze.com website.

Then I have everything!
I am so Excited.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo