Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The "Private" Life of a Lady Marine

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
I just went on a scanning binge, and finally got this little gem uploaded. My grandmother took a number of my mother's letters from Marine Corps boot camp, at Camp LeJeune, NC, and put them together into a little piece that was published in her high school alumni newsletter. The high school was Richmond Hiil in Queens NY. My mom was class of 1937 there. It's just a couple pages, and I thought the effect was better to read it as originally printed.

Domep1.jpg

Domep2.jpg

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
Liked the part about the Marine dogs that were recovering from wounds! The role of canines during WWII usually gets shuffled into the background. Oh, and the reference to the "G.I. party" was funny, and brought back memories. Some things never change...Thanks, Dan.

-Lee

Rookie1

New in Town
Very cool. That should make you feel really proud. I like the part about the food. Almost sounds like shes at a 5 star hotel. Thanks for sharing.:)

Norumbega

One of the Regulars
Thanks for sharing this.

My mum was a Marine as well, and posted out on the West Coast at Camp Pendleton during the war. She wears her Marine Corps locket every day.
As I posted elsewhere here, she was interviewed extensively by lead writer Bruce McKenna for the HBO series The Pacific, and her association with Lena Basilone.
We are fortunate that she has a scrap book which details many of her fellow Marines and a wartime Camp Pendleton. She talks about what a hub of activity Pendleton was as Marines left and returned from the Pacific Theatre.

Glad you posted this.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
As is mentioned at the end of the piece, my mom wound up working at the Leatherneck, the Marine Corps magazine. My dad did lay out (he actually used an Exacto knife and glue when he cut and pasted!) and my mom did the letters to the editor. She had many cool stories, and knew many interesting people. One of their pals was the late Ernie Harwell, long the voice of the Detroit Tigers. I'll scan and post a very funny list she put together of all the places she lived within a short 2 year period in DC. Average stay was less than 2 months in any given place.
She once saw Admiral Nimitz walking toward her, and was so stunned she forgot to salute!
I'm in the process of scanning a bunch of stuff, which I'll post here.

HepKitty

One Too Many
marineabilly said:
Hello - thanks so much for sharing this. I am an active duty Marine (1995-present) and would love to put this on my blog if you don't mind.

Thanks again!
Cheers!

"Location: LAND OF THE FREE Because of the Brave"

thank you marineabilly

MysteriousRed

New in Town
I must say this brought a tear to my eye. I've had many family members in the military (quite a few served in WWII) so this made a impact on me. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
usleathermart