Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The rakish fedora of Carlos Gardel

Have you ever heard of Carlos Gardel (1890-1935)? Born in France (or Uruguay,depending on whom you speak to), he emigrated to Argentina at the age of two. Gardel was (and remains, more than 70 years after his death in a plane crash) the single most popular interpreter of tango songs in history. In addition to singing and writing tangos, Gardel starred in numerous Argentine movies, performed on NBC radio in New York, starred in several "videos" (with Bing Crosby, Ray Noble and others) for Paramount Pictures, and had just signed a Hollywood film contract when his life was cut tragically short.

Argentina has three icons: Eva Peron, Diego Maradona, and Carlos Gardel. To this day, images of the singer are found on postcards and posters in Buenos Aires. The sound of his voice drifts from open windows. For Argentina, Gardel is Crosby, Sinatra and Elvis rolled into one.

What's less well remembered is that Carlos Gardel was the most stylish of all Golden Era dressers. Below are four photos of the man and his hat. No one wore a fedora like he did.

In other sections of the Lounge, I've posted more photos of Gardel in a uniquely striped dress shirt; a single-breasted, peak lapel suit with a double-breasted vest, and even his brillantined hair.

Viva Gardel!

Gardel-Foto-Silva-Montevideo.jpg

ff25967b.jpg

0261e7df.jpg

b3e9cd3a.jpg

feltfan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Singers...

Thanks for the photos and history.

Speaking of singers, I don't suppose you are any relation of
Violetta Parra?

Bebop

Practically Family
Being an Argentine, I grew up with Carlos Gardel as the background music of my childhood. He is one of my fathers favorite tangeros and he played his music almost every day. My parents were pasionate about dancing tango and I can remember them dancing to his records. I still enjoy his music, especially when visiting my folks in Los Angeles. My father dressed and to a certain extent still dresses, like Gardel. He was quite a heart throb in his time. My mother still sighs at the sight of his picture. He is the symbol for old time Argentina. I am sure he was also loved in Chile.

Bebop

Practically Family
Veronica Parra said:

All of South America mourned Gardel's death -- and that's quite a feat in a continent whose countries are not especially fond of Argentina.

It is true that Gardel surpassed the unreasonable dislike that most of So. America has for Argentina. He is one of the few positive icons from anywhere in So. America. So. America does not like Argentina because Argentina is too much like Europe and the rest of So. America is much more third world. Or as I have been told by a Colombian, "you guys act like you are all high class". I thanked him but I don't think he got it.:rolleyes:

4Mica

New in Town
I have heard non-Argentine South Americans express their feeling about Argentines by telling the following joke, El mejor negocio que un hombre puede hacer es comprar un Argentino por lo que vale, que es un centavo, y venderle por lo que el piensa que vale. (Translated, the best business deal a person can make is to buy an Argentine for what he is worth, which is one cent, and then sell him for what he thinks he is worth). I lived in Argentina for a couple of years and loved my time there and the people and do not agree with the above joke (even though I think it is funny), but it does illustrate how some feel about the Argentines.

Bebop

Practically Family
I have heard that joke told about President Bush, English people, Americans, movie stars, the French. It is funny unless you are Argentine. The reason it has been told in spanish is the reason I stated in my last post on this thread. While a beautiful country and alot of fun to visit, I can't understand why Argentines (except me of course :rolleyes: ) look down their nose at every other country on earth. I could not live there. I am a veteran of the U.S. military and am an American more than anything else. By the way, I have some great jokes about races, creeds, sexes, nationalities, countries and so forth. Is it all right to post offensive jokes about nationalities? If so, I would love to tell my anti-American, Chinese and Mexican jokes. Why put down only Argentina? All off subject but I think this all started out by Parra pointing out how disliked Argentina is. Could not help putting an Argentines point of view.:cheers1:

4Mica

New in Town
Bebop said:
It is true that Gardel surpassed the unreasonable dislike that most of So. America has for Argentina. He is one of the few positive icons from anywhere in So. America. So. America does not like Argentina because Argentina is too much like Europe and the rest of So. America is much more third world. Or as I have been told by a Colombian, "you guys act like you are all high class". I thanked him but I don't think he got it.:rolleyes:

Pot calling the kettle black. You made a haughty post (lending credence to the joke), I posted it only to show how some non-Argentine South Americans view Argentines (as unwarranted proud people who look down on everyone else), I expressly stated I did not agree with the assessment. By your own admission the joke can be applied to various people. Tranquilo, che.

Not-Bogart13

Call Me a Cab
Ethnic in-fighting

I frequently wonder why, with all the racism that exists against ethnic peoples, that the bitter blood runs deepest among similar ethnic groups. Anybody ever notice this? It seems a particular problem with spanish / latino groups. For example, I have Puerto Rican heritage, and I'm usually disliked by Cubans, Columbians, and a few other groups because of that. PLUS, PR's like me only until they find out I can't speak spanish! As if that made me LESS Puerto Rican. If I had been 1% PR and spoken spanish, the other 99% wouldn't matter. Of course, this is a broad statement, and I know that not everyone is this way. But it's something I've observed. Sorry for pontificating!

On another note, back to Mycroft's question; any albums of Gardel's you could recommend, Ms. Parra?

Flitcraft

One Too Many
Carlos Gardel.....

Thanks for posting!
A Golden Era entertainer of whom I was totally ignorant.
Gives me something new to research!
Thanks!

Bebop

Practically Family
4Mica said:
Pot calling the kettle black. You made a haughty post (lending credence to the joke), I posted it only to show how some non-Argentine South Americans view Argentines (as unwarranted proud people who look down on everyone else), I expressly stated I did not agree with the assessment. By your own admission the joke can be applied to various people. Tranquilo, che.[/QUOTE

I can tell some great jokes about black people and expressly state that I don't agree with the jokes and I am sure many would rightly castigate me. My post was only to show how some non-Argentine So. Americans can view being a proud people as "unwarrarted" (proving my point again). I am not quite sure what you are saying by your post and what you mean by pot calling the kettle black. Menos vino, che.:beer:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ALittleBitOfCompany