Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Ration Book Diet

LizzieMaine

Bartender
I'm pretty much still following it -- I haven't been absolutely meticulous about keeping track, but for the most part everything I eat falls within the ration guidelines. I'm not a gourmand, by any means, so I don't mind eating the same thing every day. Mostly I eat reasonable portions of inexpensive foods, and the rest takes care of itself. My biggest indulgence is bacon and eggs for breakfast most mornings, but I don't overdo the portions, and I don't gorge myself for lunch or supper. (Last night my supper was a bowl of oatmeal.)

Healthwise, my weight is stable -- I hover around 155, which is not unreasonable given my height, build, and age. My blood pressure is textbook perfect -- no problems there at all, even though my mother has been dealing with HBP since she was younger than I am now, and my grandmother started having issues in her thirties. So whatever I'm doing, it's helping. (Of course, my mother and grandmother both smoked like fiends, and I've never touched the stuff, so that may also have something to do with it.)

rue

Well then, it sounds like it's worked out for you and I think I might give it a go myself. I'm not trying to be skinny, but just a healthy weight somewhere around the same as yours and you can't beat having a healthy blood pressure.

Thank you very much :)

brspiritus

One of the Regulars
Finding this thread has given me the reason to pull out my old ration books. These were won in an auction back in 2002 on ebay, $2.50... what really makes them priceless is the point values charts cut from a newspaper in 1942.

DSC_0002.jpg

Copies I made for a living history experiment:
DSC_0003.jpg

DSC_0004.jpg

brspiritus

One of the Regulars
Point Values for Meats:
DSC_0008.jpg

Point Values for Canned Goods:
DSC_0007.jpg

The canned goods chart is in sad shape and I need to take better pictures of it. IIRC Each person got 32 Blue Stamp Points (canned goods) and 16 Red Stamp Points (Meats) per week in 1942.

Last edited:

Josph

Banned
I shall prefer this book for the complete information about the healthy diet. diet have much impact on human health and support for the healthy living, so we should have awerness about the healthy diet and nutritions.

skyvue

Call Me a Cab
My mom died just over a year ago, and among the old photos I went through in the days following her passing, i found some ration books. What I didn't realize is that citizens of all ages received them. Which makes sense, really -- it's the easiest way to assign the appropriate amount of coupons to each family. But I had never known until then that children received ration books, to be used, no doubt, by their parents.

There are pictures of the books in a Cladrite Radio post here.

I liked the look of the coffee ration coupons so much, they inspired a Cladrite T-shirt.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Here's a few authentic ration-book recipes, taken from the back of a 1942-vintage box of Kellogg's All-Bran Cereal (a non-rationed product!) --

Stretch Rationed Foods! With These Delicious Recipes!

VICTORY BRANBURGERS

1 egg
2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
1 cup Kellogg's All Bran
1 tbsp. chopped parsley
1 cup milk
1 /4 cup catsup
1 pound ground beef

Beat egg slightly, add salt, pepper, parsley, milk, catsup, and All Bran. Soak until most moisture is taken up. Add beef and mix thoroughly. Shape into 12 patties. Bake in hot oven about 30 minutes, or broil about 20 mins. Gravy may be made from pan drippings. Yield 6 servings.

ALL BRAN SCRAPPLE

1 pound fresh pork sausage
2 cups water
1 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
1/4 tsp powdered sage
few grains cayenne
2/3 cup corn meal
2/3 cup Kellogg's All Bran

Brown sausage in heavy frying pan, stirring occasionally, pour off and save fat. Bring water to boiling point, add salt, pepper, sage, and cayenne. Stir in corn meal gradually; cook until thickened, stirring constantly. Add All-Bran and Sausage, mix thoroughly. Pour into dampened loaf pan; chill until firm. Unmold, cut in half-inch slices, and brown in sausage fat on hot griddle. Serve with syrup or apple butter. Yield 8 servings. Loaf may be kept in refrigerator for a week or longer.

MEAT PINWHEELS

1/2 cup Kellogg's All-Bran
1/2 cup milk
1 1/2 cup flour
3 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
1/3 cup shortening

1 pound raw beef
1/4 cup chili sauce
1 tsp salt

Soak All-Bran in milk. Sift flour, baking powder, and salt together. Rub or cut in shortening until mixture is like coarse corn meal. Add soaked All-Bran, stir until dough is formed. Turn onto floured board, knead lightly, roll or pat into a rectangle about 9 x 16 inches.

Combine beef, chili sauce, and salt. Mix thoroughly and roll on sheet of wax paper to form rectangle size of biscuit dough. Turn onto dough. Roll very carefully like a jelly roll. Cut into 1 1/2 inch slices, lay cut side down on greased pan, and bake in moderately hot oven about 30 minutes. Yield 10 servings.

Stray Cat

My Mail is Forwarded Here
VICTORY BRANBURGERS

1 egg
2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
1 cup Kellogg's All Bran
1 tbsp. chopped parsley
1 cup milk
1 /4 cup catsup
1 pound ground beef

Beat egg slightly, add salt, pepper, parsley, milk, catsup, and All Bran. Soak until most moisture is taken up. Add beef and mix thoroughly. Shape into 12 patties. Bake in hot oven about 30 minutes, or broil about 20 mins. Gravy may be made from pan drippings. Yield 6 servings.

Hey! Wait a second.. reading this made me realize something.....
We make these.. we just don't call them like that (actually, we have no specific name for that meal.. but, it's been in our cuisine forever..) :D

LizzieMaine

Bartender
It's not too far from plain old meat loaf, except for the substitution of bran cereal for breadcrumbs. I think the bran would give it a lot more body and make it more filling and hearty than breadcrumbs, though, and thus more satisfying. You'd feel like you'd eaten a much bigger meal than you actually did.

The Lonely Navigator

Practically Family
I have a number of recipes which I will share here - I've collected them, some folks here posted sites which I copied from and many I copied from books. They may have to be adjusted though a bit - as I live alone so I copied down the smaller measurements.

1932 Banana Fluff
1 Pk Raspberry Jello
3 crushed Bananas
9 finely cut marshmallows
Make Jello according to box directions. Chill till cold and syrupy. Place in bowl of cracked ice or ice water and whip w/ beater until fluffy and thick. Fold in fruit and marshmallows. Turn into mold and chill till firm. Unmold and serve with whipped cream. Serves 10.

1940 Fruit Fantasy
2 cups all purpose flour
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
2/3 cup shortening
ice water
4 tsp lemon juice
fresh, canned, or sweetened fruit
Mix flour, baking soda and salt. Cut or rub in shortening. Add lemon juice and enough ice water to hold ingredients together. Divide pastry into 3 equal parts. Roll out each part on floured board and cut in an 8" circle. Bake at 425 for 15 min in separate layer pans. Place between layers, fresh or canned fruit. Top with whipped cream.

1943 Broiled Grapefruit
Slice grapefruit in half, pour off excess juice in a bowl. Sprinkle with brown sugar and mace. Dot with butter or margarine/spread and broil for 10 min. or until delicately browned. Add juice that was poured off and serve at once.

1943 Butterscotch Spanish Cream
1/2 envelope (1/2 tbsp) unflavored gelatine
1 1/4 cups milk
3/8 cup dark corn syrup
2 eggs separated
1/8 tsp salt
1 tbsp melted butter
1/2 tsp vanilla
Soften gelatine in 1/4 cup of the cold milk. Beat egg yolks and add remaining milk, corn syrup and salt. Cook over hot water and stir constantly until like custard. Stir in melted butter, add softened gelatine and stir until dissolved. Remove from heat, fold in vanilla and stiffly beaten egg whites. Turn into individual molds which have been rinsed in cold water. Chill until firm - Jelly on the bottom and custard on the top. Unmold and serve with light cream.

1943 Crepes Suzette
Make very thin pancakes using prepared mix. Spread with jam and roll up. Dust with powdered sugar. Serve with following sauce:
Lemon Sauce
3/8 cup light corn syrup
1/2 tbsp cornstarch
1/8 tsp salt
1 tbsp butter
1/2 cup boiling water
1/2 tsp grated lemon rind
1 1/2 tbsp lemon juice
Add a little corn syrup to corn starch and mix well. Add remaining corn syrup slowly while stirring. Add salt. Gradually add boiling water. Bring to a boil, cook for 15 min. Stir until thickened and clear. Stir in lemon rind, juice and butter until butter melts.

1943 Florida Milk Shake
1 1/4 cup orange juice
3/4 cup grapefruit juice
1/2 cup evaporated milk
1/2 cup water
1/4 tsp salt
2 tbsp sugar
1/2 cup crushed ice
nutmeg
Combine all ingredients except nutmeg in a shaker. Shake until well mixed. Pour in tall glasses and top with nutmeg.

1943 Frankfurter Casserole
1/2 pkg. elbow macaroni
3/4 cup grated cheddar
2 small cartons of heavy whipping cream
3/4 tsp. salt
1 cup drained green beans
1/2 lb. frankfurters sliced
Cook macaroni, drain. Combine cheese, cream, salt. Add green beans and frankfurter slices and mix. Pour into large casserole dish and bake at 350 for 30-40 min.

1943 Honey Tapioca Cream
1 egg separated
2 cups milk
2 1/2 tbsp quick tapioca
1/4 cup honey
1/8 tsp salt
1/2 tbsp grated orange rind
Mix yolk with a little milk and add remaining milk, tapioca, honey, and salt. Cook over rapidly boiling water 10-12 min. Beat egg whites just stiff enough to hold shape. Fold hot tapioca mix into egg whites. Fold in orange rind. Chill. Serve with cream.

1943 Orange Fruit Cup
1 cup diced orange
1/2 cup halved strawberries
1/2 cup white seedless grapes
1/4 cup orange juice
powdered (raw) sugar
Combine fruits and orange juice. Sweeten to taste. Chill and garnish with mint.

1943 Quick Rice Pudding
1/2 cup cooked rice
1 cup milk
1 egg separated
1/4 cup sugar
a little salt
1/2 tsp Vanilla
Combine rice, milk, and heat over hot water. Beat yolks until thick and lemon colored, add sugar and salt. Add hot rice mixture slowly to yolks. Cook over hot water 5 min. stirring often, until thickened. Remove from heat and add Vanilla. Fold in stiffly beaten egg whites and chill. Sprinkle with nutmeg and serve with light cream.

1943 Spiced Honey Custard
2 cups milk
2 eggs - slightly beaten
1/4 cup honey
1/8 tsp salt
some cinnamon and nutmeg
Combine eggs, honey, salt and cinnamon. Add milk slowly, stirring constantly. Pour into custard cups and sprinkle with nutmeg. Set cups in pan of warm water. Bake at 325 for 1 hr. or until inserted knife comes out clean.

1943 Vermont Sweet Potatoes
3 medium sweet potatoes
2 1/2 tbsp hot milk
1 1/2 tbsp butter
1/4 tsp salt
dash of pepper and nutmeg
1/2 tsp grated orange rind
1 tbsp melted butter
1 tbsp maple syrup
Boil, peel, and mash sweet potatoes. Add hot milk, butter, salt, pepper, nutmeg, and orange rind. Beat until fluffy. Pile in baking dish. Top with melted butter and maple syrup, mixed. Bake at 350 for 25 min.

1945 Bavarian Cream
1 envelope Knox gelatine
1/4 cup cold water
1 cup milk
2 egg yolks
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp vanilla
1 cup cream or evaporated milk (whipped)
Beat yolks, sugar, salt and add to milk and cook in double boiler until of custard consistency. Soften gelatine in cold water and add to hot custard. Stir till dissolved. Cool, when mix begins to thicken, fold in whipped cream/milk and vanilla. Turn into mold and chill. When firm, unmold. Garnish with peaches or raspberries. Serves 6.
* Egg whites stiffly beaten may be added
*Maple: Add maple sugar instead of sugar and 12 cut marshmallows may be added.

1945 Strawberry Sponge
1 envelope Knox gelatine
1/4 cup cold water
1/2 cup hot water
1 cup sugar
1/4 tsp salt
1 cup strawberry juice and pulp
1 tbsp lemon juice
1/2 cup cream whipped
2 egg whites stiffly beaten
Crush strawberries, add sugar and let stand for 1/2 hr. Soften gelatine in cold water, add salt and hot water and stir till dissolved. Add strawberry mix and lemon juice. Cool and when it begins to thicken, fold in whipped cream and egg whites. Turn into glasses and chill. Serve garnished with berries or on a sponge cake with whole berries and whipped cream or whipped evaporated milk. Any fruit may be used.

(will add more in another post)

The Lonely Navigator

Practically Family
Honey cakes
Cooking time about 15 Mins
Ingredients
1 level teaspoon sugar
2 and a half oz. margarine
2 Level tablespoons honey
6 oz self raising flour
1 level teaspoon cinnamon.
Quantity 16 to 20
Beat together the sugar and margarine until the mixture is soft and creamy, then add the honey. Sift together the flower and cinnamon. Add to the creamy mixture with a spoon until it binds together then work it with your fin gers until it is a soft smooth dough. Flower your hands, take off a piece of dough about the size of a large walnut and roll between the palm of hands until it is a smooth ball. Put onto a slightly greased tin and flatten slightly. Continue until all the dough has been used up. Bake in a moderately hot oven until the cakes are done – about 15 mins.

Sugarless Apple Dessert
Ingredients:
Cooking apples
Condensed milk
Orange juice
Nuts or grated chocolate
Method:
Grate raw cooking apple.
Whip together with the condensed milk.
Add a little orange juice.
Arrange in dishes with nuts or grated chocolate on top.

WORLD WAR II CAKE
1 c. shortening
1/4 c. sugar
1 c. corn syrup
2 eggs, beaten
2 c. cake flour
1 tsp. salt
2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/4 c. sour milk
1/4 c. sour cream
2 tsp. vanilla
Cream together shortening and sugar. Add corn syrup and beaten eggs. Sift together the dry ingredients and mix alternately with the sour milk and sour cream. Add vanilla. Bake in greased 9"x13" pan at 350 degrees for 35 to 40 minutes.

WORLD WAR II COFFEE CAKE
1 c. sugar
1 egg
1 c. sour milk
2 c. flour
1 tsp. cinnamon
Cinnamon-sugar-butter mixture to sprinkle on top
Cup of fresh milk can be "soured" by adding to it 1 tablespoon lemon juice or vinegar.
Cream together first four ingredients. Add flour and cinnamon. Pour into a small round cake pan. Sprinkle topping mixture over batter. Bake in a 375 degree oven for 15 to 20 minutes.

WORLD WAR II CUSTARD PIE
1 can condensed milk
1 can whole milk (fill condensed milk can 1 time)
1 tsp. vanilla flavoring
Fresh or frozen coconut may be added if desired. Beat egg yolks, add condensed milk and whole milk. Add vanilla. Beat egg whites until stiff and fold in. Pour into an unbaked crust.
Bake at 400 degrees for 10 minutes. Reduce heat to 350 degrees and bake until done. Custard should be slightly shaky when taken out.

FAKE WHIPPED CREAM (World War II)
2 egg whites
1/2 c. confectioners' sugar
1 c. grated apple
1 tsp. lemon juice
Beat egg whites until stiff. Add half the sugar while beating. Then add the grated apple and rest of sugar, alternately while continuing to beat. Stir in lemon juice quickly. "Plop" dollops on fresh strawberries and reminisce.

WORLD WAR II HEALTH BREAD
1 tbsp. salt
1 tbsp. shortening
1 c. oatmeal
1 1/2 c. boiling water
1 lg. can evaporated milk
1 pkg. dry yeast mixed with 1/4 c. water
1/4 c. honey
3 c. whole wheat flour
3 c. white flour
Put shortening, salt and oatmeal in large mixing bowl, pour 1 1/2 cup boiling water over and mix well. Add evaporated milk and mix. Add yeast mix. Add honey and whole wheat flour. Beat until smooth and then work in white flour. Put in greased bowl, cover and let rise. Punch down and put in pans and let rise again. Makes 3 loaves. Bake at 350 degrees for 40-45 minutes.

WWII Oatmeal Molasses cookies:
Ingredients
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 cups oatmeal
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup sugar
3/4 cup shortening
2 eggs, beaten
5 tablespoons light molasses
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1/2 cup chopped walnuts (optional)
1/2 cup raisins (optional)
Directions

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
In a large bowl, stir together the flour, oatmeal, baking soda, baking powder, and salt.
In another large bowl, beat the sugar with the shortening until smooth and creamy; mix in beaten eggs, molasses, and vanilla. Gradually mix in the dry ingredients. Stir in walnuts and raisins. Drop by teaspoonfuls onto ungreased baking sheets.
Bake for 10 to 12 minutes, or until slightly browned. Allow cookies to cool on baking sheet for 5 minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool completely.

RED DEVIL'S FOOD CAKE (WORLD WAR II
RECIPE)
1/2 c. shortening
1 1/2 c. sugar or syrup
2 eggs
1 7/8 c. flour
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. vanilla
4 tbsp. cocoa
1 tbsp. hot water or coffee
1 tsp. red coloring
1 c. sour milk or buttermilk (or 1/2 c. milk if syrup is used)
Beat sugar and shortening. Add 1/2 cup flour. Add eggs, cocoa mixture and flour and soda with sour milk. Bake at 325 degrees for 25-30 minutes.

WORLD WAR II SEMISWEETS
2 1/2 c. all purpose flour
1/4 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. baking soda
1 c. butter
1/2 c. packed brown sugar
2 lg. eggs
1 tbsp. freshly grated orange peel
2 tbsp. fresh orange juice
1/2 c. pecans or walnuts, chopped fine
8 (1 oz.) sq. semisweet baking chocolate, grated coarse
Mix flour, salt and baking soda. Beat butter and sugar in large bowl until fluffy. Beat in eggs, then orange peel and juice. Gradually stir in flour mixture until blended, then nuts and chocolate. Chill dough 1-2 hours. Divide dough in half. Shape each half into a 2-inch diameter log. Wrap in waxed paper and refrigerate 4 hours. Heat oven to 350 degrees. Cut rolls in 1/4-inch-thick slices. Place 1 inch apart on ungreased cookie sheet. Bake 12-14 minutes until lightly browned. Remove to wire racks to cool.

WWII Spam and Egg Sandwich
Ingredients
1 tablespoon butter
2 tablespoons finely chopped onion
1 slice fully cooked luncheon meat (e.g. Spam)
1 egg, beaten
2 slices bread
1 slice American cheese (optional)
1 slice tomato (optional)
Directions

Melt butter in a small skillet over medium-high heat. Saute the onion in butter until soft. Mash up the slice of luncheon meat with a fork, and add it to the skillet. Cook for 2 or 3 minutes, until browned. Pour the egg into the skillet so that it covers all of the meat and onion. Cook until firm, then flip to brown the other side.
Place the egg and meat onto one slice of the bread and top with cheese and tomato if desired. Place the other piece of bread on top. Bread can also be toasted first.

WORLD WAR II SYRUP CAKE
1 c. Karo syrup
2 eggs
2 c. flour
3/4 c. butter or shortening
1/2 c. cocoa
3 tsp. baking powder
1/3 tsp. baking soda
1/3 c. milk
1 tsp. vanilla
1/2 tsp. allspice
1/2 tsp. nutmeg
Mix well. Bake at 350°F in loaf or Bundt pan until done a toothpick inserted in center of cake comes out clean.

-----

Hope others find all this helpful.

Puzzicato

One Too Many
I have a number of recipes which I will share here - I've collected them, some folks here posted sites which I copied from and many I copied from books. They may have to be adjusted though a bit - as I live alone so I copied down the smaller measurements.

1932 Banana Fluff
1 Pk Raspberry Jello
3 crushed Bananas
9 finely cut marshmallows
Make Jello according to box directions. Chill till cold and syrupy. Place in bowl of cracked ice or ice water and whip w/ beater until fluffy and thick. Fold in fruit and marshmallows. Turn into mold and chill till firm. Unmold and serve with whipped cream. Serves 10.

This reminds me of the "mousse" my grandmother used to make - dissolve a box of jelly crystals (I guess that's jell-o to most of you) in boiling water, whisk a can of chilled evaporated milk until thick and frothy, whisk in the dissolved jelly and pour into a mould to set. It works best with citrus flavours, in my opinion, and when I have been low-carbing, is an excellent treat when made with diabetic jelly.

Miss Moonlight

A-List Customer
I've gotten so off track. I used to be quite the nutrition nut, and I've just really... not been for a while. Because of my living situation and money. I've had a hard time getting myself back to what is the best every day diet for me. I'll do it for awhile, and then regress again. I'm frustrated with myself because I have been to several lectures on nutrition and have read so many books by knowledgeable people, and I KNOW how to eat great. But I'm not doing it.

My toddler always gets a nutritious, varied, balanced diet, but there are days when I feed her and I barely eat because I'm too tired or too broke and trying to make food last. Or there are days I eat plenty, but it's not a good variety; I'm doing things I always warn new vegans not to do because it will leave you in poor health. So. I'm going on the Ration Diet. Starting this coming Sunday. I'm moving this weekend, so my food will be mine and not eaten by others without me knowing it until I go to use it. And I was thinking about how the ration costs less.

So I'm taking British WW2 rations (did US rations have a vegetarian version?) and converting the ration book to what should be a comparable vegan version, but still very much in line with rationing. A few vegetarians and vegans have done this so there should be examples I can look at online. That along with my basic nutrition knowledge will aid me in converting the ration realistically.

I'll be eating a rationed diet, along with whatever local produce I want to buy- as if I had a garden- and it will not just be a small way to further my research into WW2 homefront living (without the air raids) but it will get me back on track. I'll do it until it's second nature- then allow my diet to expand. I've been spoiled for a bit, so it won't be easy. But it's more than worth it. Oh, and I can't garden right now, but in the future I'd like to learn.

My daughter won't be ration-eating. :) But *I* will get back on track as a good example. And I should save some money.

Any vegetarians or vegans here who've done this? The cool part is how many vegan recipes I've seen which came from WW2 rationing. :) I'm loving that this thread is here, I just looked back through most of it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy