Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Real, real Indy Jacket: Not What You Think

Plumbline

One Too Many
They're so high waist they're almost a crew neck :)

As for the supid impracticle little pockets .. that you struggle to get yer hands into ..... best left in the 20's and 30's along with buttons ( unless they're on a car coat) :)

I like the Indy ( the kiss of death .... if I like it it is DEFINATELY not "golden era" ..... probably more 50's than 30's :) It's a REALLY practicle light jacket and gets away from A2 knit cuffs and bottoms ( although I strangely don't mind the single weave looser G-1 / M422 type kniits.

That and it can be worn a little looser :) :) ( after all I have seen speedo's looser than some of you boys wear your jackets :) )

majormajor

One Too Many
They're so high waist they're almost a crew neck :)

As for the supid impracticle little pockets .. that you struggle to get yer hands into ..... best left in the 20's and 30's along with buttons ( unless they're on a car coat) :)

I like the Indy ( the kiss of death .... if I like it it is DEFINATELY not "golden era" ..... probably more 50's than 30's :) It's a REALLY practicle light jacket and gets away from A2 knit cuffs and bottoms ( although I strangely don't mind the single weave looser G-1 / M422 type kniits.

That and it can be worn a little looser :) :) ( after all I have seen speedo's looser than some of you boys wear your jackets :) )

"Supid impracticle"?? Are they words you just thought up PL, or is it Klingon for "I wear HUGE jackets". Welcome back to the forum. Good to see your taste in jackets is consistent:D;)

Plumbline

One Too Many
Thanks Major, good to be back .. re. the spelling, it's these pesky iphone things ... obviously my right hand dexterity on an iphone is not as accurate as my left on a guitar ( but then again some may say it is :) )

I see you're still pushing patch pockets and getting threads closed ..... plus ca change, plus c'est le meme chose !

majormajor

One Too Many
Thanks Major, good to be back .. re. the spelling, it's these pesky iphone things ... obviously my right hand dexterity on an iphone is not as accurate as my left on a guitar ( but then again some may say it is :) )

I see you're still pushing patch pockets and getting threads closed ..... plus ca change, plus c'est le meme chose !

BTW, it's DEFINITELY, not DEFINATELY. Leave the French alone, and bone up on your English.

My Iphone corrects my spelling. Yours obviously does the opposite. How odd:eusa_clap:eusa_clap

Plumbline

One Too Many
English isn't my native tounge .... :)

It corrects my texts, but alas not postings on here .. back to the Indy, I should have an Alexanders one in Old Grease Steer in a few days just in time for the next trip to SE Asia ( It was ordered a few months ago but I've been travelling). I had a Wested one a few years back and it was a good jacket. Wore it for a year or so ... not in the class of the premium repro manufacturers but it was only £85 on Ebay which I thought was GREAT value for money. They're well put together and satisfy a gap in the market which Aero and others don't fill ( sadly) although I know Aero did some for the japanese market some years ago and they were stunning !

Feel free to correct spelling errors and punctuation .... who needs a spell checker when I've got you eh ! :)

Oh and keep those fashion tips coming ...... they're invaluable.

Plumbline

One Too Many
Oh I don't know ..... how about :

Old Crust
Bare Butt
Oily Bare Butt
Split Side
Wrinkly Side
Dirty Old Crust

all of which I have seen for sale at one time or another ... and :D

You could probably get away with anything after all many bought "jerky" as a legitimate name :)

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
I think you may have a list of medieval maladies there, rather than a list of hides. :D But jerky as a name is understandably descriptive for a hide: heavily grained, just like its namesake[huh], which is why it's been taken up generally. It's like anything, if you come up with a memorable name that encapsulates what it describes accurately, it catches on. It's simply good marketing.

Those huge pocketed A2 derivatives look way worse than a regular A2 imho.

Well, the A-2 itself is derivative - as of course is the A-1 - of older workwear styles, which tended to have bigger patch pockets.

li20.png

"Them's some high-waisted trousers you got there, Sam.." :D

It's not a high waist, it's low pockets...

I think we need a ruling on this one! :D

The troos look to be around his natural waist - maybe a little higher. It's his jacket is … wait for it … TOO LONG!!! It's on his hips, Gol'darnit! Archibald's hat looks absurd, though.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24