Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The return of 78's??? How cool is this!!!

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Please note: not intended for use on old fashioned 78 record players. That narrows the potential base of buyers to about 175. Interesting concept though.

Edward

Bartender
dhermann1 said:
Please note: not intended for use on old fashioned 78 record players. That narrows the potential base of buyers to about 175. Interesting concept though.

I'd have thought more folks would have access to a turntable that can play 78s than a grammophone, though, so it makes sense to me.

Mysterious Mose

Practically Family
dhermann1 said:

Do yourself a favour, buy a postwar "modern lightweight" that plays 78's.
There's so much sound in electrically recorded 78's, unheard on crapophone players. I use late 1940's Garrards SP-1's with electromagnetic/steel needle pick-ups for dj-ing, and it takes rocket science to get their sound quality anywhere near my 1960 Lenco (Bogen/Presto) B-51 with crystal/saphire pick-up

B.t.w. vinyl 78's have been made by Big Sandy and the Fly Rite Boys and other (Dutch) billy bands in the 1980's and 90's, it's no big deal, really.

RetroToday

A-List Customer
Nice idea, but I'm gonna pass on this one.

Great idea, but $29 for two vinyls? Sorry, not biting.
I'd rather pay that for a real vintage record pressing of Bix.

Looks like they got their label design idea from old Brunswick record labels, cool.

I wonder how much this record would cost if it was made with the old shellac method? Hmm, now that I think of it, is that still even possible?
Is there a record company out there making new 78 rpm shellac?

Gotta do some net searching now for that.... ;)

martinsantos

Practically Family
Not so difficult to find turntables that will play OK these records. All those Garrards, BSRs, Thorens, etc, from 60s and 70s have the 78 speed - and have all condition to play well. And are good machines, indeed! (and cheap)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo