Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

"The Rock 'n' Roll Hat You Need Right Now" by GQ

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
You know the origin story of the line, with Keith Richards, right? Makes total sense to me - a replica of a vintage instrument you love, right down to the whole look of it, but not the fear of taking a priceless original on the road... I'm actually a little tempted by the (UK budget brand) Vintage Icon series they do that's more than a cheeky nod to Clapton's Blackie. Bit of fun.

I didn't know that about Keith actually, interesting factoid! I do know that Springsteen definitely plays a relic replica of his butterscotch Tele.

Redshoes51

One of the Regulars
I didn't know that about Keith actually, interesting factoid! I do know that Springsteen definitely plays a relic replica of his butterscotch Tele.

I always thought that Dusty Hill, bassist for ZZ Top had a great collection of vintage P-basses he played on the road... turns out that they are photographic images put onto a new bass body... they look great. I would love to have one!

~shoes~

Edward

Bartender

Yeah, the story goes that Keef ordered a bunch of Teles in Micawber spec for a new tour, then sent them back with a note that said "they look too new; can you bash 'em around a bit?". From there, the idea of the Relic was born.

tropicalbob

My Mail is Forwarded Here
That is interesting. I saw an interview with him in which he discussed his ES335 and said he'd never take it on stage because he was afraid of damaging it. I thought,"With all your money?" and then realized it wasn't about money but about the guitar.

I think I'll just keep wearing my Akubras and let 'em develop that "worn to death" look on their own, thankyouverymuch. Besides, I could replace all of them for the cost of one of those hats. :rolleyes:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lindawalters