Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Role of Education In Assigning Value to Societal Labor Sectors

philosophygirl78

A-List Customer
There are branches of society that do just that - religious organizations, charitable organizations, some branches of government and many of the small, but still extant, social clubs and organizations. Churches and charities exists, in part, to focus humans on "foster[ing] human regard." While many are a mess, there are many government programs that do the same. Maybe the balance is off, but churches, charities and government social programs are quite large, engaged and influential in our society. Maybe we wish more so, but they are the branch in society that promotes the element of human regard. And, many of us promote that element in our everyday lives.

they are doing a terrible job.... and should be fired...

ChiTownScion

Call Me a Cab

ChrisB

A-List Customer
I certainly don't feel guilty or apologize for my success either. Yes, I did earn my way through school, and I worked a considerably difficult job for over 30 years, and I worked it well. None of it was handed to me, either. And now I enjoy a decent pension and have never enjoyed life more.

But I have to make this admission: others worked as hard as I did, or harder. And others overcame obstacles far greater than I could even imagine- let alone faced. They took chances and risks that quite honestly I was far too timid to face. They were, by any objective determination, far more deserving of the successes that I enjoy than I am. And yet, they are not living "the good life," by any stretch of the imagination.

I've been lucky, fortunate, even "blessed," if you want to add a metaphysical element to it that I am reluctant to articulate... if for no other reason than I find it hard to believe that a truly just, loving, and omnipotent supreme being could allow so many good and decent individuals to suffer without blame. There is that element of arbitrary fate to all of it. I haven't really got a damned thing to gripe about as far as my own situation, but I readily admit that it isn't fair, just, or equitable that so many have been dealt such a short straw in life. Sure, I worked hard to get where I am because fate allowed me to do so. Others were not so fortunate.

Lizzie's right: every bit of security and comfort I enjoy today could be swept away at a stroke tomorrow by economic forces utterly beyond anything any individual's "choice" can control. That's a brutal reality that I can only face by doing everything within my own power to work toward the end of seeing that things play out fairer for all- in both the microcosm and the macrocosm. I suppose, at the very least, that journey commences by not judging others in circumstances I do not fully appreciate.

I'm still trying to master that one... and while I can't claim perfection to that end, at least I can report progress. I'm not dead yet... so perhaps there still is some hope.

I too feel no guilt for my success, which I attained through much hard work. However I did not do it alone. I was fortunate that my fathers employer had a policy of hiring employees children who were in college, for summer work. These were no "make work" jobs, we were doing the same work as our parents , adult work with adult responsibilities. Aside from the obvious financial benefits, I consider the time I spent working in that factory to be as much a part of my education as the time spent in class.

And yes, I too realize that I am just one accident or illness or other misfortune away from financial ruin. So many middle class people want to believe that their interests lie with the wealthy, when in reality they are in the same leaking boat as lower income workers. It seems that we are in a new era of downward mobility.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ThomW