Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Roll Up Panama, Optimo, Colonial or Natural

mike

Call Me a Cab
I was never particularly drawn to this style of blocking, but I'll be damned if the film Paper Moon doesn't make me see it in a whole new light! lol

PaperMoon.jpg

article-1023820-0175B58000000578-132_468x396.jpg

Anyone have one of their own? Please post if so! I'd love to see them in action!

optimoroyale.jpg

panama-hats-canal-postcard.jpg

dwcoptsm1a.jpg

mcoptlk1A.jpg

mcoptpA.jpg

mcopttA.jpg

mike

Call Me a Cab
Nice! What weave is that if you don't mind me asking? You don't happen to have any shots on your head do you?

mike

Call Me a Cab
I just picked this up off of ebay, not sure if it needs to be reblocked, but the new panama hats I've seen after they've been reblocked by someone like Art Fawcett look beautiful! So maybe... and I've got a few months till it's the season for them anyways.

UKN-2.jpg

UKN-1.jpg

UKN-3.jpg

HarpPlayerGene

I'll Lock Up
Yeah, Mike, yours looks a little... 'pointy'.

Here's mine. First one is more like the movie hat. Second one has a larger brim. My girlfriend HATES them both (she's usually a fan of my hat wearing), but I love 'em. They kind of appeal to the colonial Englishman blood in my make-up.

HARVARD CLUB:
DSC_0021.jpg

DSC_0061.jpg

SUPERNATURAL:
DSC_0015.jpg

DSC_0023.jpg

carouselvic

I'll Lock Up
Originaly sold by R.H.Macy&Co.Inc. New York. I bought it off ebay. As for the weave count, my eyes are not good enough.

mike

Call Me a Cab
HarpPlayerGene said:
HARVARD CLUB:
DSC_0021.jpg

DSC_0061.jpg

Ooooh can you tell me anymore about this one? I don't know so much about panamas, but I really like that dimensions & weave, what is it?

HarpPlayerGene

I'll Lock Up
mike said:
Ooooh can you tell me anymore about this one? I don't know so much about panamas, but I really like that dimensions & weave, what is it?

It's a brand with which I am unfamiliar. Very wide leather sweatband in an odd color. Seems like quite an old hat. I'm guessing around 300wpi. [huh] It boggles me to do the count. With the 2-1/8" brim snapped down all around, and a backwoven edge rather than binding, it has that classic movie look.

DSC_0015.jpg

DSC_0016.jpg

DSC_0017.jpg

DSC_0018.jpg

DSC_0070.jpg

mike

Call Me a Cab
HarpPlayerGene said:
It's a brand with which I am unfamiliar. Very wide leather sweatband in an odd color. Seems like quite an old hat. I'm guessing around 300wpi. [huh] It boggles me to do the count. With the 2-1/8" brim snapped down all around, and a backwoven edge rather than binding, it has that classic movie look.

I agree! That's just the kind of thing I'm looking for! :eusa_clap

HarpPlayerGene

I'll Lock Up
Well, they come up from time to time on Ebay. More will be surfacing as we head into summer. The optimo style in a decent weave can get bid up into 3-digit$ sometimes. I snuck off with mine in the $20 - $30 range for two reasons: I am very patient and let the pricey ones pass ('cuz I'm thrifty), and because I'm a lucky size 7. Your size will be a little less common and somewhat of a premium. But whether I've spent a lot or a little on a good classic hat, I don't look back and regret it. I look at the hat and smile. :)

G'luck!

HarpPlayerGene

I'll Lock Up
carouselvic said:
Originaly sold by R.H.Macy&Co.Inc. New York. I bought it off ebay. As for the weave count, my eyes are not good enough.

I guess your eyes aren't good enough. Mine wouldn't be either. I went back and clicked on your images and enlarged them. That hat is outstanding. Very fine weave, like it's made of dental floss. Shows mine as course by comparison, but I like 'em.

Thwack

Familiar Face
HarpPlayerGene said:
Yeah, Mike, yours looks a little... 'pointy'.

Here's mine. First one is more like the movie hat. Second one has a larger brim. My girlfriend HATES them both (she's usually a fan of my hat wearing), but I love 'em. They kind of appeal to the colonial Englishman blood in my make-up.

HARVARD CLUB:
DSC_0021.jpg

DSC_0061.jpg

SUPERNATURAL:
DSC_0015.jpg

DSC_0023.jpg

Is there a hat style you don't own? :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy