Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Soda Thread: Coke not Classic; Throwback Pepsi

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Regarding the link . . . Bern, you're saying that the secret ingredient in Coke is old shoes???
Regarding the Coke story which I assume will replace the link that Mr Bern put up by mistake, I guess this really means they've decided a whole new generation of Coke drinkers has grown up who have never even heard of New Coke, so why make the little buggers have to say "Daddy, tell me the story of New Coke." Time heals all wounds.

MrBern

I'll Lock Up
Oops Sorry about that.
Actually, the story mentions that 'NEW' coke lasted til 2004.
Somewhere Max Headroom is turning over in his digital grave.
2093423933_d2bc82713e.jpg

320px-NewCokeCan1985.jpg

Variations_of_new_coke.jpg

MrBern

I'll Lock Up
Its The Real Thing

BTW, technically classic coke is not the same formula was the original.
The big difference is substitution of Sugar Cane with cheap High Fructose Corn Syrup.
And that change is probably why the company sought out & launched the failed New Coke, to begin selling a cheaper product.

The exact Coca Cola formula remains a guarded trade secret.

MrBern said:
The big difference is substitution of Sugar Cane with cheap High Fructose Corn Syrup..

This is why foreigners will generally tell you that American Coka Cola is disgusting. Too sweet by far. (Fructose is much, much sweeter that cane sucrose. And incidentally it does not metabolise in the same way. Fructose is much more likely to be deposited in fat stores and processed to be useful energy that way - i.e. whe there's nothing else left - rather than being stored in the same way as glucose which is the body's go to guy in terms of energy.)

And they don't put nearly enough phosphoric acid in it any more. What are children supposed to do in their science lessons when they can't dissolve coins of the Realm in Coca Cola?

Incidentally, Middle Eastern coke is also rotten. And for some reason the Germans have the worst of all, IMO. The formula is changed very slightly for each market, it seems.

bk

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Baron Kurtz said:
The formula is changed very slightly for each market, it seems.

bk

Yes it is.
From this entry.

The company produces concentrate, which is then sold to various licensed Coca-Cola bottlers throughout the world. The bottlers, who hold territorially exclusive contracts with the company, produce finished product in cans and bottles from the concentrate in combination with filtered water and sweeteners. The bottlers then sell, distribute and merchandise Coca-Cola in cans and bottles to retail stores and vending machines.

LD

Foofoogal

Banned
And they don't put nearly enough phosphoric acid in it any more.
:eek: Wow, that is why it doesn't fizz as much anymore. I thought my taste buds went wacky on me. I remember the little bottles you could get out of a machine as a kid for a dime I think. Much better tasting. I am amazed they changed the sugar.

VintageVixie

In San Diego, I can get Mexico-made Coca Cola. Nice and cold, in a glass bottle, from the neighborhood liquor store down the street from me. And it is so good, it ruins one for all other cola if you weren't already. I made sure to thank the liquor store proprietor for carrying it, since he also carries all the usual high fructose corn syrup soda and Coke fare.

carter

I'll Lock Up
There are any number of establishments near our home in Dallas where one can purchase Coca Cola made and bottled in Mexico (hecho en Mexico) in 355ml glass bottles. It is far better than the product produced by the local Coca Cola bottler.

ortega76

Practically Family
I love the variations Coca Cola produces for foreign markets. I toured a plant many years ago and was allowed to sample some of the varieties including a particularly salty version for Africa (IIRC).

ortega76 said:
I love the variations Coca Cola produces for foreign markets. I toured a plant many years ago and was allowed to sample some of the varieties including a particularly salty version for Africa (IIRC).

It is fascinating. There are many fascinating things in the realm of worldwide food production. One of my favourites is the apparent absence of the Mars Bar in the middle west USA and, i'm told, throughout the USA. A friedn from Iowa recalls sometime in the mid-1980s the Mars Bar being withdrawn. I had my Ma ship a box to me every month for the 6 years I lived in the 'States. And every time they visited they brought a consignment of Coke.

My particular favourite was the change of name from Opal Fruits to "Starburst". We (kids) were up in arms about the rampant Americanisation of our society. And as for Snickers! Don't even get me started. They shuld rename it Marathon and make everyone happy.

:eek:fftopic:

One of our members at one time was animating the commercals for Coca Cola's Lebanese market. (IIRC; it was somewhere in the middle east, anyhow.) Fascinating stuff.

:eek:fftopic:

bk

staggerwing

One of the Regulars
Every day, when I wake up, I thank the Coca-Cola company for introducing new Coke. They broke my 12 bottle a day addiction! Used to be, first thing in the morning, I'd drink a Coke. When I went to bed at night, I'd lay there drinking one, and I always had another on the nightstand in case I woke up thirsty. If i didn't have any Coke in the house, I'd panic. New Coke changed all that. So I thank them for all the money I saved, better health, still having all my teeth, you get the idea. Can't stand the fructose stuff they call Coke today. Probably dirnk a softdrink once every couple of months now, usually a root beer or ginger ale. Now, if I ever got a taste of the Mexican or Kosher stuff with the real sugar, I might get hooked again, so it's probably best to just say no!

ortega76

Practically Family
Baron Kurtz said:
It is fascinating. There are many fascinating things in the realm of worldwide food production. One of my favourites is the apparent absence of the Mars Bar in the middle west USA and, i'm told, throughout the USA. A friedn from Iowa recalls sometime in the mid-1980s the Mars Bar being withdrawn. I had my Ma ship a box to me every month for the 6 years I lived in the 'States.
bk

Having lived in the midwest my entire life, I vaguely recall the Mars Bar. My brother-in-law is a lifer in the Navy and he is stationed in Washington. We send him a box of Chicago staples like Jay's Potato Chips.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24