Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

THE STEVENS SPOTLIGHT

Joshbru3

I'll Lock Up
Hello Everyone. I have yet to see a thread solely dedicated to Stevens hats. There are threads for Borsalino, Dobbs, Stetson, Mallory, ETC.

I thought since Stevens had been around for quite a while, it would be nice to see all the hats they produced throughout the 20th century and maybe if anyone had advertisments to help all of us date our beloved STEVENS hats.

LETS SEE THOSE STEVENS!!!!

Heres the only one that I own:
1930's Stevens (De-Oilized)
DSC03290.jpg

DSC03285.jpg

DSC03283.jpg

DSC03282.jpg

DSC03281.jpg

DSC03301.jpg

DSC03294.jpg

DSC03298.jpg

DSC03300.jpg

DSC03286.jpg

barrowjh

One Too Many
Should this include the hats that Stevens sold under the Stetson name? I think all of the western Stetson hats with a liner that had the image of a cowboy giving his horse water from his hat were made by Stevens, and there are a boat-load of those. Hopefully Brad Bowers will step in here and straighten out my inaccuracies, but that period may have spanned 1971 - 1984. I think that the 'Stevens-Stetson' era resulted in hats that were on-par or better than those sold by Stetson in the final years just prior to Stevens buying the brand.

rlk

I'll Lock Up
barrowjh said:
Should this include the hats that Stevens sold under the Stetson name? I think all of the western Stetson hats with a liner that had the image of a cowboy giving his horse water from his hat were made by Stevens, and there are a boat-load of those. Hopefully Brad Bowers will step in here and straighten out my inaccuracies, but that period may have spanned 1971 - 1984. I think that the 'Stevens-Stetson' era resulted in hats that were on-par or better than those sold by Stetson in the final years just prior to Stevens buying the brand.
You mean the printed liner not the embroidered one which Stetson Philadelphia used in the 50's-60's. Late Philadelphia Stetsons seem fine to me.

Joshbru3

I'll Lock Up
rlk said:
You mean the printed liner not the embroidered one which Stetson Philadelphia used in the 50's-60's. Late Philadelphia Stetsons seem fine to me.

I agree with rlk, it seems fine to me. I just think that when posting a Stevens era Stetson, we should designate them as "Stevens-era Stestons" just so there is no confusion with pre-Stevens Stetsons and post-Stevens Stetsons.

barrowjh

One Too Many
Thanks RLK

I am not familiar with an embroidered picture, and it would be off-topic to put one in here (since it would be pre-Stevens), but I would like to see a link to one. There was some variation during the Stevens era - in some hats there is no plastic tip and the image is multicolored, and in some there is less-robust (mostly green-blue) image behind the plastic tip. I am not sure that both types were Stevens products, but to my knowledge they are mutually exclusive - I have not seen that bright screen print behind a plastic tip.

Joshbru3

I'll Lock Up
WOW carouselvic. Thats an awesome collection of Stevens hats. The 7X Beaver has a wonderful story behind it, its really cool that you are able to have that stroy along with the hat. Does the Imperial have that "double sweatband?"

Joshbru3

I'll Lock Up
carouselvic said:
No, it is a standard non-reeded sweatband with an oil silk sweat protector.

Oh ok. Ive seen some Stevens with something behind the sweatband and never knew what it was. Its an oil silk sweat protector? What is it made of, plastic?

barrowjh

One Too Many
I must agree on the hats, carouselvic - really nice hats. The 7X reeks plush right through the picture - I would presume that to be a pleasure to touch (and wear). Thanks also for the pic you sent me. Until you posted these pictures, I was unaware that Stevens ever put the 'last drop' image in hats other than the Stetson line, but clearly they did, both the embroidered and the printed (I presume).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
apachepass