Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Stratoliner Society {VINTAGE}

RBH

Bartender
jimmy the lid said:
Here's a blurb from the New York Times, dated July 6, 1940, noting Stetson's introduction of the Stratoliner in the fall of that year...

StratolinerRoll-out.jpg

Cheers,
JtL
Very cool!

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
This March 5, 1941 from the New York Times is interesting for a variety of reasons. In particular, the article notes that, due to the war, Stetson lost 60% of its foreign market. It appears that the development and marketing of the Stratoliner was directly related to a push by Stetson to revitalize its business in the face of this loss of sales. Apparently, the Stetson campaign was quite successful -- by spring of 1941, the Strat accounted for 10% of Stetson's "low-end" business (sales in the "volume" market). Interesting.

Also of interest is the mention of Stetson's development of a $10 hat to serve as a replacement for import hats that were no longer available due to the war. I think that this confirms theories advanced in another thread that the Vita-Felt (priced at $10) was intended to fill the gap for the disappearance of hats like Borsalino during the war years...

StetsonArticle.jpg

I wonder if the Stratoliner was specifically designed to offer a low-cost alternative to models like the Borsalino Alessandria that were no longer available during the war years? [huh]

Cheers,
JtL

Nick D

Call Me a Cab
Introducing the littlest member of the Stratoliner Society:

DSC01105.jpg

No size, but it's 20" in circumference. Needs a little steam but it'll make him a fine hat in a few years.

HatDoc

One of the Regulars
Felt and Straw said:
Is the "How Many Engines" debate still going on?
Does this help?

feltandstraw

We all know how many engines the Strat had. The debate is whether the original hat pin had 2 or 4 engines. From old photos, we know the airplane pin is flying from right to left. The most abundant pins that can be found in existence are the TWA pins, but they only have 2 engines.

ZemkeFan recently found a 4-engine pin on eBay that was flying in the correct direction, but it was gold. And the Patty Stetson pin was silver and only had 2 engines......and appears to have TWA written on the wings.

So.......most Stratophiles belive that the actual pin was indeed the TWA 2-engine DC-3 pin.

buler

I'll Lock Up
Alpine Blue Strat

Just got my Alpine Blue Strat and thought I'd take some pics with my light blue/grey Strat. The sweat logos are a little different and the liner in my Alpine just says Stetson and not Royal Stetson. The original $10.95 price tag was behind the sweat which dates it to roughly 1955-1958 based on earlier posts in this thread. The color is really hard to photograph. Had the Alpine Blue Strat ad already.

B

strats-1.jpg

strats_4.jpg

strats_5.jpg

Alpine:
alpine_blue_strat.jpg

Blue/gray:
blue_grey_strat.jpg

alpine_blue_strat_and_ad.jpg

Zemke Fan

Call Me a Cab
Thanks for posting the photos...

Wow! Love the hat, especially the color.

BTW: If you'd be interested in selling the ad to me for my Stratoliner collection, I'd be mighty grateful. (If not, would appreciate knowing the issue from which it came.)

alpine_blue_strat_and_ad.jpg

The TWA hostess is wearing the "cutout" style uniform which dates it to 1944 or thereafter...

connie_cutout_44.jpg

buler

I'll Lock Up
Zemke Fan said:
Wow! Love the hat, especially the color.

BTW: If you'd be interested in selling the ad to me for my Stratoliner collection, I'd be mighty grateful. (If not, would appreciate knowing the issue from which it came.)

The TWA hostess is wearing the "cutout" style uniform which dates it to 1944 or thereafter...

Zemke Fan, I'm going to hang onto the ad for now. Its from Esquire, Nov 1945.

B

billysmom

One Too Many
Black lettering on sweatband?

My newly-arrived Stratoliner has black printing on the sweat. I've looked through this entire thread and all your examples have gold lettering! Is this something that was done only for this retailer? Are there "copy" Stratoliners out there?

DSCF1724.jpg

DSCF1725.jpg

DSCF1723.jpg

Sue

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
billysmom said:
My newly-arrived Stratoliner has black printing on the sweat. I've looked through this entire thread and all your examples have gold lettering! Is this something that was done only for this retailer? Are there "copy" Stratoliners out there?

Sue -- Stetson used the black printing on sweats for other models and other retailers. Somewhere in my lid photo archives I have a photo of a Stratoliner that has a very similar sweat in terms of the surface of the leather, as well as the presence of the black logotype. That Strat was specifically tied to the year 1954, since the sales receipt still existed. Going by these similarities, and taking into account the nature of your liner, I'd say that circa 1954 isn't a bad bet for your Strat. And, congrats!

Cheers,
JtL

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maxraff