Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Stratoliner Society {VINTAGE}

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
At $90 I am sure that I paid too much for this box but since it had the info sheet with it, I HAD to have it. I had never, ever seen that sheet before (or heard of it, for that matter) and I guessed it was very rare. Anyway, there you have it.

I think that nabbing that sheet along with the box is a real coup. Provides some interesting Strat history. :eusa_clap

Mobile Vulgus

One Too Many
Cool stuff. I'll be on the lookout for the matchbook. But the flange? I don't think many hat buyers would have been buying blocking flanges! I don't see that as part of the set, I have to say. Still, it is very cool.

Zemke Fan

Call Me a Cab
Touche with the Stag-O-Liner! Made me spit out the final drops of my second martini. BTW, I don't know if anyone has posted this or not, but should any of you want a pin for the hat you can either contact me or else the guy who makes my reproductions from my original pins: www.1903.com. His name is Joe Weingarten and he's truly a stand up guy. He knows the value of keeping original items in original condition and making repros as appropriate. Almost all of his TWA and Boeing items are molded from my originals.\

EDIT: Oh, and BTW, Buler, that flange is worth about $50k. You should take it to Antiques Road Show. Seriously!

Last edited:

rlk

I'll Lock Up
TWA Pin

Just received this. Looks very much like the original ad. Sold as vintage TWA lapel pin.

5367647007_c176bcc3c1_b.jpg

buler

I'll Lock Up
Just received this. Looks very much like the original ad. Sold as vintage TWA lapel pin.

So your the one that oubid me on that.... we really need to cooperate more on the ebay stuff. We're costing each other money. ;)

B

warbird

One Too Many
The Stratoliner may well be my favorite all time hat style. The brim width is perfect for me as a hat with my build. I do indeed love my Whippets, but they are not as easy to match with anything like the Strat. I like the narrower brim as compared to my Open Roads. I wear my strat or my Stet Custom V, which is nearly identical to the Strat in dimensions, more than any other hats I wear. With the possible exception of my Federation, which has been my go to hat for outdoor activity, for years now.

azhiker

One of the Regulars
I'm going to have to order one of those pins! I am an Aviation Inspector, and that would just be too cool to wear on my hat! Though, now I'm going to have to get a Stratoliner. Just what my love wants to hear..'honey, I have to to buy a hat to match this $16 pin I just odered'!

So in my prowling around up in town today I came across yet another Stratoliner box. The seller said he'd take 10 bucks, which seemed reasonable, so I bought it.

I wasn't all that thrilled with my find, though, seeing how I now have three Stratoliner boxes, and seeing how they really aren't the most practical design, what with that narrow profile that bends the brim in at the sides of all but the narrowest hats. But then I opened the box and found this little slip of paper, the likes of which I don't recall seeing before (until I went back a coupla-three pages in this thread and saw that Mobile Vulgus had come across the same thing). It confirms the speculation I've read here as to why that Stratoliner box is so narrow.

IMGP2231.jpg

Last edited:

Mobile Vulgus

One Too Many
But then I opened the box and found this little slip of paper, the likes of which I don't recall seeing before (until I went back a coupla-three pages in this thread and saw that Mobile Vulgus had come across the same thing). It confirms the speculation I've read here as to why that Stratoliner box is so narrow.

Yeah, that info slip that I bought with my box (for my Stratoliner hat) was the first one that anyone here remembered seeing at the time... or at least some of the members said they'd never seen it before, anyway.

Yours makes #2. I'd say that little sucker is pretty rare! You got a great deal if it was only ten bucks!!

Picking through thrift shops, flea markets, junktique shops, etc., is among my favorite recreational pastimes, so my exposure to this sort of thing is probably higher than the average person's (or, more accurately, the average person in the general population; whether that's true among this bunch is somewhat more debatable). What's kinda surprising about this score is that I found it in one of the "hipper" (translation: expensive) districts in the entire region. The irony here is that if the seller had wanted much more than that 10 bucks for it I may well have declined, seeing how (as I mentioned previously) this is my third Stratoliner box, so I would never have noticed that little slip of paper.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grateful Fred