Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

THE SUNBODY ASSOCIATION

Roninjedi

One of the Regulars
Crazy Horse 3

Okay, I haven't been on this board in forever but I wanted to post this lid. I picked up a Sunbody Crazy Horse 3 from their website a couple of months ago. I wasn't sure if I'd like it looking fresh or distressed so I bought the un-distressed version figuring I could always distress it later. I when it arrived, I immediately reshaped the Gus crown into more of a teardrop/fedora style. I didn't quite like the unstained, pristine look so I tried using tea to stain the area where the brim and crown join. That didn't do it so I switched to a *very* diluted brown leather dye to weather it ever so slightly. Turns out I needn't have bothered. See, I bought this as an outdoor work hat and the first weekend I spent a day and a half in the yard sweated and dusted up the hat pretty thoroughly. Here it is still sweaty from some yard work this morning.
4656442979_6ee1c9bfdc.jpg

4656443069_fbd4ec95ef.jpg

Now, that's a workin' hat!

4656442879_b540091268.jpg

I replaced the brown leather band with a cavalry cord. It reminds me of the Buffalo Soldiers. As I work and sweat in this hat, the cav cord has gotten darker too.

Note: If you buy a Sunbody Crazy Horse hat, order one size larger. Sunbody's Guatemalan palm hats have a foam padded sweatband that makes the hat about a half size smaller, especially with heat and moisture. I ordered my normal 62cm but my Crazy Horse 3 was a bit too snug. When I removed the absorbent padding from inside my sweatband it fit perfectly but my sweat goes right through to the outside of the hat. I like the gritty working look myself but just be conscious of your size. Their Web site says that the Mexican palm hats don't have this sizing issue.

byronic

One of the Regulars
Which Sunbody?

I'm thinking of buying my first Sunbody and I have found this thread very useful, for instance I now know to add on a cm in size. to allow for shrinkage!
My questions are:
What height is the crown on the standard fedora? High crowns suit me best, so I'm thinking a 5" crown minimum.

I want something I can knock into an 'Indy-ish' shape, so should I go for a high open crown model?

Finally, I have a biggish head (7 5/8), which tends to make my shoulders look a little narrow, so what size brim? I'm thinking 2 1/2, I don't like stingy brims, I prefer wide, but at the same time don't want it to look like a crossbred sombrero:D

Any help, chaps/chapettes?

P.S any photos of something in this style/size would be good too!

cybergentleman

A-List Customer
mine

i bought the open crowned 3.5 inch brim 5.75 inch high crown sunbody- cool hat.

i just restyled it into a hollywood brim :)

i ordered mine on the phone with them and they were a pleasure to speak to; very cordial.

so call them up and ask them your questions.

byronic

One of the Regulars
cybergentleman said:
i bought the open crowned 3.5 inch brim 5.75 inch high crown sunbody- cool hat.

i just restyled it into a hollywood brim :)

i ordered mine on the phone with them and they were a pleasure to speak to; very cordial.

so call them up and ask them your questions.

Just did! Yes, they're very nice, helpful people to deal with.
I'm going for a fine palm fedora, 5 1/2" crown, 3" brim. The reason for the brim being wider than I originally wanted is because it's a sale item, and as it's my first I'd rather not spend too much 'til I decide if I like the look or not. Another reason is that the sale hats are old, and there is an aged appearance to them, meaning they have darkened a little and are a more yellowy/brown than a new one, and I think I prefer that to the 'straight outta the box' look. ;)

skyvue

Call Me a Cab
byronic said:
Just did! Yes, they're very nice, helpful people to deal with.
I'm going for a fine palm fedora, 5 1/2" crown, 3" brim. The reason for the brim being wider than I originally wanted is because it's a sale item, and as it's my first I'd rather not spend too much 'til I decide if I like the look or not. Another reason is that the sale hats are old, and there is an aged appearance to them, meaning they have darkened a little and are a more yellowy/brown than a new one, and I think I prefer that to the 'straight outta the box' look. ;)

Just FYI -- they can trim that brim for you, if you like, and bind the edge with ribbon.

cybergentleman

A-List Customer
i've had mine for a year now roughly, i guess it has yellowed a bit now that i think about it.

these things really do seem pretty hardy

anyway congrats on your purchase- not a dress straw, but you will find it to be a pretty serviceable lid for summertime i think.

laotou

One of the Regulars
In case you haven't heard

From SunBody;
"How Do You Sunbody?

SunBody Hat Giveaway!

SunBody Hats is proud to announce the return of our, "How do you SunBody?" contest.

This year we will be giving away SIX hats, one to each of SIX WINNERS. Maybe more.

The contest will consist of two winners each month beginning in June and ending in August. The winners will be announced at the end of each month.

There will be ONE ADULT and ONE CHILD winner. Non- winners photo's will be kept up for chances to win until the contest ends.

We may also have a hatters' choice award for a lucky third winner as well!

It's easy to enter, all you have to do is:
Tell us how, where, when or why, you use your SunBody hat! We welcome essays, pictures, and even videos of you showing off your SunBody Hat on your horse, at the beach, at work, cookoffs, parties, in the garden, on vacation, YOU NAME IT!

We'll post your picture on our blog AND GIVE YOU $10.00 OFF YOUR NEXT ORDER WITH US, JUST FOR ENTERING

This contest is all about you! We invite you to get out the camera, and put some of your best memories of you and your SunBody in writing and send them to us.

We accept all entries via email. Please send your entries to: Christina
@Sunbody.com
WITH YOUR PHOTO SUBMISSION! with the subject line: "This is how I SunBody"

The winners will be announced at the end of each month until the contest ends in August!"

byronic

One of the Regulars
cybergentleman said:
i've had mine for a year now roughly, i guess it has yellowed a bit now that i think about it.

these things really do seem pretty hardy

anyway congrats on your purchase- not a dress straw, but you will find it to be a pretty serviceable lid for summertime i think.
Agreed, I don't want a dressy straw, but a knockaround, casual lid.

Update: Changed my order to an open crown (5") with a 3" brim. I'm looking forward to having fun shaping and reshaping 'til I get it right.

byronic

One of the Regulars
Safari?

OK, so my open 5" crown with 3" brim is on the way. I am toying with the idea of leaving the brim width alone and maybe give it a Safari style by turning the brim down slightly back and front and adding a puggaree. After all, this is going to be my summer hat.
Has anyone else done this? Also does anyone think this is a bad idea, or not?[huh]

Roninjedi

One of the Regulars
byronic said:
...maybe give it a Safari style by turning the brim down slightly back and front and adding a puggaree
[huh]

It's what I've been thinking about for my next Sunbody. Give it a try and post pics for us!

byronic

One of the Regulars
Will do, Ron. Still waiting for it to arrive, I'm anxiously peeping out the window every morning when the mailman calls.
I like the weathered look on your lid :eusa_clap it's kind of what I'm aiming for with mine.

skyvue

Call Me a Cab
Here are some camera-phone photos of my new hat from Sunbody. I got an open-crown so as to get a bit more height on the hat and had them trim the brim to 2.5 inches. The one I bought from them last summer is more like 2 3/4, and that's just a bit too wide for me -- I'd sell it if anyone's interested. It looks just like this one -- same edge binding, same ribbon. It's a size 8, but they tend to undersize at Sunbody. I'm a 7 5/8 extra long oval, so I have to get larger sizes. It's based roughly like my new one is, but it's so easy to rebash Sunbody hats, that's not really an issue one way or the other.

I stopped by J.J. Hat Center to have Kevin bash the open crown for me and have the navy ribbon put on. I think he did a nice job, and they don't charge for cleaning and shaping, bless their hearts (they charged $20 to put the ribbon on, and of course I tipped Kevin for his troubles).

All in all, I'm pleased. The hat was a bit snug front and back with big gaps on the sides, but Kevin reshaped it nicely -- it fits well front, back and sides now. He uses a bit of duct table under the band to ease those side gaps (stretching it front and back helped with those, too), and it's surprising how well that works. (He did it on the hat I bought last year, too.)

mehat5.jpg
mehat1.jpg
mehat2.jpg
mehat3.jpg
mehat4.jpg

jimmer_5

Practically Family
I just ordered my first Sunbody today! It's a Crazy Horse 2, and I should hopefully have it in a week. I have wanted a Sunbody for about 3 years now - ever since I picked up up and handled it in the Denver Airport. I finally needed a new hat for hiking and outdoor summer activities. I'll have to post my impressions when I receive it.

- Jim

SunbodyNoah

New in Town
Hey all,
I'm Noah, I'm currently head of marketing and product development for Sunbody Hats as well as the son of the owner. I just wanted to stick my head in and see if you guys had any questions I could help answer or things you'd like to see. I don't believe I can send PMs till 15 posts, so if you PM me please give an email I can contact you at. Thanks in advance!

Noah
Sunbody Hats

SunbodyNoah

New in Town
Looking at the pictures, it looks like it's a 2.5" fedora with bound edge and a wide blue hatband.

We don't actually get any hats with the 2.5" brim, we have to cut them down, so we can't offer it as a production right now, though I'll pass it along to the owner and let him know there's some demand.

What we do have is a 3" brim fedora (http://sunbody.com/index.cfm/product/119/3-inch-brim-fedora-wwide-hatband.cfm), which we can do with bound edge of any color and a hat eband of the same.

That said, if you email us at info@sunbody.com, we'll work with you on cutting down the brim and making a custom hat for you that's as close as possible to what you want, we're always happy to use a picture such as the one provided above as a model.

Short answer: Sort of
Noah

EDIT: My apologies, there is an error above - we do have a 2.5" brim, though it is only in the finer weave palm.

As always, feel free to call us at 713-861-5133 and we'll work with you, there is no extra charge beyond the components for custom hats, though it might take a couple weeks to get it made up in the busy season.

skyvue

Call Me a Cab
SunbodyNoah said:
Looking at the pictures, it looks like it's a 2.5" fedora with bound edge and a wide blue hatband.

I think what might set my hat apart also is that I went with a higher open crown than the preshaped hats you offer have (I think I have that correct).

My name is Brett Leveridge, if you wish to look up my order and confirm that. I think you'll find a number of Loungers would be interested in that higher crown with limited taper.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails