Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

THE SUNBODY ASSOCIATION

Rmccamey

I'll Lock Up
You'll have to put wider doors in your house for that one to fit. Or you could stake it down and use it for a tent!

Found myself in a western west store and found a Gus with an eight inch brim:

View attachment 518415 View attachment 518416

The first off the stack was a size 62cm and it fit great so I figured the fates had spoken…my wife vetoed the purchase…I’ll have to sneak back there another day.

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up

The first off the stack was a size 62cm and it fit great so I figured the fates had spoken…my wife vetoed the purchase…I’ll have to sneak back there another day.

Brent looks good.

Proportions is everything. For a short guy like me the hat would be an umbrella. I could see it being very practical with some mosquito netting over it. A tent over my head and torso for keeping the bugs at bay. Amusing to think about.

Cheers on the big brim. Eric -

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up
i-WN7m64T-L.jpg

Which came first the big brim or cornette? The Flying Deadlyhandsome. It has a certain panache.

AndyR

One of the Regulars
I don’t see the point of a liner in a Panama hat? To each their own, but I want them to be as light, breathable, and cool wearing as possible. Of course, they are easily removed, but I don’t see the point.

I also asked for a hat without his sweat band. I will sew a good one on myself. The weave of the hat is great...it is a fine hat and deserves a decent ribbon and sweat. I have rebuilt vintage hats and discovered that the ribbon/bow work was partially assembled with ordinary metal office staples. It is a toss up, what is worse....glue or staples!

I agree with that.

And another knock may be that they feel really stiff and hard, whereas I've read commentary on other hatters' websites that Panama hats are supposed to feel soft and supple.

However, Panama Hats Direct also addresses this point on their website (or they did at one point) and said they have to use hat stiffener to help the hat maintain its shape over time.

I've only ever owned three Panama hats so far, two of which are from Panama Hats Direct and one of which was a $120ish OTR Magill hat that I had bought many years ago, and all of them have been stiff and hard, so I don't personally have any frame of reference to know whether it's good thing or bad thing, and/or if it's possible for Panama hats to retain their shape over time with little or no stiffener.

But I definitely don't think the Panama Hats Direct hats are soft or supple.

Hopefully someone who knows more about this issue can chime in about that and whether Panama Hats Direct does a good or bad job with how stiff their hats are.

Here’s a 2 ½” brimmed hat and one with a 5” brim. What a difference 2 ½” makes.

I think that smaller brim looks perfect for you. Great looking hat. I'm kicking around the idea of joining the association this summer.

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here

Get a Khaki shirt and wear it for Halloween. Tell everybody you're a Toad Stool!!!

Look up RJ Preston Sombreros, I'm considering getting a gray one.
Later

Skin cancer doesn't care about what other people think of your hat and sun cream doesn't do it all. Skin cancer is a long, slow and ugly death. Get the wide brims and wear them often. If weight is a concern, well that's the price for not spending a few years under a helmet, I guess.

A lot of the members here first took up hat wearing after a skin cancer scare or as a preventive measure. It’s definitely on my mind when I’m choosing a hat for the day.

Head coverings are practical as well as…for lack of a better word “fashion” items. I’ve had the honor and displeasure of having to wear a heavy helmet with some regularity for almost 30 years in my professional life. I have been grateful for the protection, but “we” all still moan about the weight, heat, and general lack of comfort. It’s our way to complain. We also have ongoing problems with helmet wearing compliance due to the lack of comfort.

If a hat is not comfortable the likelihood of its regular use over a prolonged period goes way down. It’s much more effective to not fight human nature and go for comfort too. Wide brimmed SunBody hats are not a challenge to wear because of their weight, but I don’t forget I’m wearing a hat like I do with a fine straw or felt hat. If I’m going to spend hours in the sun in the summer I’m likely choosing some sort of a wide brimmed “straw” hat. For days that don’t involve long outdoor pursuits I’m opting for something smaller, lighter, and more comfortable. After experiencing a fine semi-calado Panama hat or a lightweight felt fedora (ideally with a reedless sweatband), it’s hard to not judge a stiff and relatively heavy palm hat as uncomfortable by comparison. No aspersions on those who prefer the big palm hats for all circumstances; we all live different lives and have different priorities.

Yahoody

One Too Many
Smaller hats can have their place. The rain forest is one ;-)
1684733984359.jpeg

>I'll bet it weighs a ton when wet!

Randy got me wondering ;-)

1684734533885.jpeg

6" brimmed Sunbody with a 1" horse hair hatband...dry? 11.5oz
6" brim, the same, soaked and running water. 18oz.

8oz of water seems to be an easy load for a big brimmed Sunbody hat.
And a Godsend if you are working out in the sun and high air temps.
If we have water available, often as not we'll soak our hats several times a day here.
As long as you pay attention to the possibility of mildew it doesn't seem to hurt their longevity.
I get 4 or 5 years worth of use from my Sunbody hats. My wife generally gets double that.

1684733719312.jpeg

8" brim, Sunbody sombrero, 1" horse hair hat band, dry, 15oz

1684734192845.jpeg

4.5" brim, 6" crown, 100% beaver, ribbon band, 8oz

1684777099312.jpeg

5" brim, 6" crown, 100% beaver, ribbon band, 10oz

1684734140415.jpeg

6.5" brim on a RJ Preston felt sombrero, leather woven brim, and 2" leather hat band with a long, braided, wind string and slider, 24oz

Last edited:

Who?

Practically Family
Smaller hats can have their place. The rain forest is one ;-)
View attachment 519306

>I'll bet it weighs a ton when wet!

Randy got me wondering ;-)

View attachment 519312
6" brimmed Sunbody with a 1" horse hair hatband...dry? 11.5oz
6" brim, the same, soaked and running water. 18oz.

8oz of water seems to be an easy load for a big brimmed Sunbody hat.
And a Godsend if you are working out in the sun and high air temps.
If we have water available, often as not we'll soak our hats several times a day here.
As long as you pay attention to the possibility of mildew it doesn't seem to hurt their longevity.
I get 4 or 5 years worth of use from my Sunbody hats. My wife generally gets double that.

View attachment 519305
8" brim, Sunbody sombrero, 1" horse hair hat band, dry, 15oz

View attachment 519308
4.5" brim, 6" crown, 100% beaver, ribbon band, 8oz

5" brim, 6" crown, 100% beaver, ribbon band, 10oz

View attachment 519307
6.5" brim on a RJ Preston felt sombrero, leather woven brim, and 2" leather hat band with a long, braided, wind string and slider, 24oz
Science in action.

One real number trumps a whole lot of hand-waving.

(Note for those who don’t do imperial, 24 oz is 680 gm)

Last edited:
Science in action.

One real number trumps a whole lot of hand-waving.

(Note for those who don’t do imprrial, 24 oz is 680 gm)

Except it’s very hard to come up with an objective unit of measurement for comfort. Numbers are great, but being able to convert them into something so subjective as comfort is a fool’s errand.

Borsalino Baku:
IMG_9920.jpeg

Malloy un-lined fur felt fedora with reedless sweatband:
IMG_9922.jpeg

Semi-calado Panama:
IMG_9921.jpeg

Custom beaver Gannon with 6 ½” open crown and 4” brim:
IMG_9923.jpeg

These hats are much lighter and for me subjectively much more comfortable to wear than any of my four SunBody hats, but it’s not just a simple matter of weight. Is the 0.8 ounce Borsalino that is 48 times lighter than the Sombrero listed above 48 times as comfortable? I think few would argue that as a general rule a lighter hat is more comfortable than a heavier hat (everything else being equal). Unfortunately, weight alone tells us just a small part of how comfortable a hat will be. I know that for me breathability makes a huge difference in comfort for summer “straw” hats…another area where SunBody hats don’t excel.

I like SunBody hats and they have a time and place in my rotation. If I need rugged, wide brimmed, okay if it gets wet, spending hours in the summer sun, not worrying if it gets damaged hat I’m quite likely choosing a SunBody. If I’m walking through old town with my wife shopping for antiques or if I’m going out to eat somewhere nice with friends I’m choosing something else. My profession requires specific headwear and they provide it and don’t allow substitutions so that’s an easy one.

Im not disparaging SunBody, but they are niche hats and the majority of the fedora focused members here would not be happy with one as a summer alternative to a fur felt fedora. Even the “fedora” shaped SunBody hats don’t breathe well and are heavy compared to other options. A nice yard-work hat, but not a dress hat in any sense…at least not in my life and in my comparison to finer “straw” hats. As I said earlier, I own and wear four SunBody hats and I think they fill their niche well.

Last edited:

Yahoody

One Too Many
I often times enjoy the comments that hat users will make. And some of the observations and assumptions made as well.

I bought my lovely wife a fine Panama 30 years ago. She still has it. Still looks new. I'd bet I could actually count the number of times she has worn it over the years. Not many is the point. She has a 7 year old Sunbody, with the same crown, same size brim (4 1/2"). Well worn now, to a dirty brown and still going strong. One weights under 4oz. The other weights right at 7oz. A good bit of either hat's weight is the leather or horsehair hat band and silver conchos adorning them.

As Brent mention previous one is a lot more breathable. The lighter Panama of course. But it also cost me more than half of what a good 100% beaver did in 1992. The Beaver was $450 then. The same felt from that hat maker is $1500 now. The typical Sunbody? $50 today.

I have no need for another straw hat. But if I really thought a Sunbody wasn't gonna cut it, I might order up one of these. But then again, generally, a $1000 will go a long ways in hats ;-) As long as the hat "fits". ;)

"About the Hat:

Wow! I doubt you can buy fine Panamas anywhere else with brims this wide nor weaves as fine. Look closely and you will see the desirable and rare “paja roja” throughout the weave. Very rare. 5″ plus brim hand rolled brim."
Cost? $1000/$1500+
1684890289798.png

1684890573156.png

"At Montecristi Custom Hat Works we work in two types of raw material. Panama straw and fine fur felt. In Panama we work in three qualities: Fino Select – $800 to $1500, Extra Fino – $1600 to $4900, Super Fino – $5000 and up.

Solid weaves are traditional, but we have developed ventilated crowns, some full and others not so, but all ventilated weaves offer greater comfort in hot humid climates."

https://www.montecristihats.com/

All the fine straw hats got me pondering even more and hankering again for a new hat until I realized I have three different 5" brimmed, additional, decent and better finished straw hats. One from AHC and two Resistol's. All poly coated and vented via the weaving patter with quality leather sweats, between 1 3/4 and 2". All of them just under $200 retail these days. But I'd venture to say the Sunbody's fabric sweat and natural palm leaf is a better hat and much more durable from my own experience with both styles. Funny because I have several different Sunbody hats right at hand. I had to go looking for the "better" 5" brimmed versions.

1684895037127.jpeg

Not Montecristi's. But decent straw hats.

They tend to avoid the "flip" as well :cool:
1684893087909.jpeg

Last edited:
I often times enjoy the comments that hat users will make. And some of the observations and assumptions made as well.

I bought my lovely wife a fine Panama 30 years ago. She still has it. Still looks new. I'd bet I could actually count the number of times she has worn it over the years. Not many is the point. She has a 7 year old Sunbody, with the same crown, same size brim (4 1/2"). Well worn now, to a dirty brown and still going strong. One weights under 4oz. The other weights right at 7oz. A good bit of either hat's weight is the leather or horsehair hat band and silver conchos adorning them.

As Brent mention previous one is a lot more breathable. The lighter Panama of course. But it also cost me more than half of what a good 100% beaver did in 1992. The Beaver was $450 then. The same felt from that hat maker is $1500 now. The typical Sunbody? $50 today.

I have no need for another straw hat. But if I really thought a Sunbody wasn't gonna cut it, I might order up one of these. But then again, generally, a $1000 will go a long ways in hats ;-) As long as the hat "fits". ;)

"About the Hat:

Wow! I doubt you can buy fine Panamas anywhere else with brims this wide nor weaves as fine. Look closely and you will see the desirable and rare “paja roja” throughout the weave. Very rare. 5″ plus brim hand rolled brim."
Cost? $1000/$1500+
View attachment 519778

View attachment 519785
"At Montecristi Custom Hat Works we work in two types of raw material. Panama straw and fine fur felt. In Panama we work in three qualities: Fino Select – $800 to $1500, Extra Fino – $1600 to $4900, Super Fino – $5000 and up.

Solid weaves are traditional, but we have developed ventilated crowns, some full and others not so, but all ventilated weaves offer greater comfort in hot humid climates."

https://www.montecristihats.com/

That looks vaguely familiar:

IMG_9986.jpeg
IMG_9987.jpeg
IMG_9988.jpeg
IMG_9989.jpeg
IMG_9990.jpeg
IMG_9991.jpeg

Their beaver offerings are just as nice.

One Drop

One of the Regulars
Please on't take these strong opinions wrong, YMMV, etc. etc.

Panama hats are dress hats for hot climates, they were never made for nor intended for manual labour, yard and farm work, nor horseback riding. I have a high quality Montecristi Panama fedora I spent a few hundred dollars on in the mid eighties that I bought from a Parisian shop that has worn well over the years and still looks great, it's lightweight, supple yet shape-holding, and supremely confortable and cool in the summer, it's brim is in the larger range for traditional Panama fedoras. I would never wear it walking my dog, hiking, or doing anything strenuous in the heat, just like I'd never wear my Borsalinos for these situations where an Akubra would get the call.

I love the look and comfort of Western straws but they won't hold up to what I need in the summertime, which is a robust comfortable decent looking hat that I don't have to think about protecting or keeping dry.

Here at altitude the sun is intense but the air is extremely dry, I sweat in my Akubras on uphill climbs on a hot day's hike with my dog but they generally work fine for me, in any case I rarely do unshaded walks at midday because it's way more pleasant in the mornings and later in the day, and my German Shepherd doesn't handle intense heat well.

My Sunbody is heavier and hotter than my Akubras, and gives only slightly better sun protection due to its 4 ½" brim, it's a superb hat for days at the lake or on the river, to smoke a cigar under on a hot day, wetted down for the rare outdoor work I need to do, and for grilling and barbecuing. But for me it's just too heavy and hot for long hikes. If someone ever finds a lighter weigh palm straw that has the qualities of the Sunbody (I'd trade a bit of durability and longevity for the lighter weight) then I'd be the first in line for one.

I hope this helps anyone in making a decision, personally I assumed the Sunbody would be lighter and cooler when I ordered it, but I'm glad I got one because it excels at what I use it for, in the past I've destroyed multiple cheaper straws in no time.

ILB Frank

One of the Regulars
"If someone ever finds a lighter weigh palm straw that has the qualities of the Sunbody (I'd trade a bit of durability and longevity for the lighter weight) then I'd be the first in line for one."

I found a "gas station rescue" palm straw a couple of years ago. Technically, it's made by Pugs. It was $20. It's lightweight. holds up well for what it is. It does do what palm straw does and it is half the weight (by my estimation). If you can find one, it might be worth the risk.
Straw.jpg

Please on't take these strong opinions wrong, YMMV, etc. etc.

Panama hats are dress hats for hot climates, they were never made for nor intended for manual labour, yard and farm work, nor horseback riding. I have a high quality Montecristi Panama fedora I spent a few hundred dollars on in the mid eighties that I bought from a Parisian shop that has worn well over the years and still looks great, it's lightweight, supple yet shape-holding, and supremely confortable and cool in the summer, it's brim is in the larger range for traditional Panama fedoras. I would never wear it walking my dog, hiking, or doing anything strenuous in the heat, just like I'd never wear my Borsalinos for these situations where an Akubra would get the call.

I love the look and comfort of Western straws but they won't hold up to what I need in the summertime, which is a robust comfortable decent looking hat that I don't have to think about protecting or keeping dry.

Here at altitude the sun is intense but the air is extremely dry, I sweat in my Akubras on uphill climbs on a hot day's hike with my dog but they generally work fine for me, in any case I rarely do unshaded walks at midday because it's way more pleasant in the mornings and later in the day, and my German Shepherd doesn't handle intense heat well.

My Sunbody is heavier and hotter than my Akubras, and gives only slightly better sun protection due to its 4 ½" brim, it's a superb hat for days at the lake or on the river, to smoke a cigar under on a hot day, wetted down for the rare outdoor work I need to do, and for grilling and barbecuing. But for me it's just too heavy and hot for long hikes. If someone ever finds a lighter weigh palm straw that has the qualities of the Sunbody (I'd trade a bit of durability and longevity for the lighter weight) then I'd be the first in line for one.

I hope this helps anyone in making a decision, personally I assumed the Sunbody would be lighter and cooler when I ordered it, but I'm glad I got one because it excels at what I use it for, in the past I've destroyed multiple cheaper straws in no time.

Curious as to which Akubra(s) you’re wearing in the summer. Care to share?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner