Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Tale Of A Classic British Transistor Radio

camtechman

New in Town
I've already seen a few pics on this board of a Classic British Transistor Radio: the Bush TR82 Series. This model was made in various versions TR82 B, C etc from the late 1950s (Original Model Pic below)

BushTR82CRestored.jpg

However, when the Bush Company went out of business, the Bush name became part of another company and new, modern transistor radios were made in China (where else!) and produced with the 'Bush' brand name.

Anyway, back to the classic Bush TR82, in 1997 the 'Bush' company, with the increase in nostalgia radios on the market, decided to produce a modern reproduction of the TR82 but it was to be designated as a TR82/97 (the 97 to indicate the year of production).

However, once it was launched, this model amongst some enthusiasts & collectors came to be known as the "Wonky-U" version and I'll explain why.

Unfortunately, according to legend, they did not have a full set of production drawings and so instead, they sent a complete original version of a TR82 to the factory in China, in order for them to strip it down and take dimensions etc.

One thing about original TR82's was the quality of it’s: electronics, chassis and the parts that made up the case.

One part of the case on the original model was that the BUSH name was a separate chrome plated metal, 4 part fitting: B-U-S-H and each letter, which had two fixing pins on the back, were then pushed thru the corresponding holes on the front of the main case. Each of the pins were then swaged over to secure each letter.

Now we get to the part of how the reproduction became known as the "Wonky-U".

The designers & engineers in China, having removed the 4 letters, decided this would be too costly and instead, decided to make the letters part of the molding of the front case and electroplated in a chrome finish (or gold in other repro models)

However, with what must have been caused by poor handling by someone (I'm now sure you're ahead of me already) the letter "U" became deformed - more the shape of a Horseshoe and presumably because the letter was not apparent to a Chinese reader, passed into production un-noticed.

And so, as clear as day to British consumers, who were familiar with how the original Bush TR82 looked like, it stood out like a sore thumb!

Take a look at Pic#2 to see the result and its justified nick-name of the "Wonky-U" version:

BushTR8297-1.jpg

And finally, if you're considering buying a genuine Classic Bush TR82 and you're offered or told it's genuine, if it's got the "Wonky-U" and has the model number of TR82/97 don't buy it unless you can get it for no more than $10, then it will be a good "Curio" for your collection & for the price.

Oh yeah, the Bush TR82/97 has the addition of being able to be powered from mains electricity and has an additional FM(VHF) waveband, whereas an original was battery powered only and had only Medium & Long Wave reception.

That's the end of my tale from sunny Great Britain.
Have a nice day...

camtechman

New in Town
Another piece of trivia about this radio.....

Around the late 1950's when the Bush TR82 was launched and long before great US Block Buster films included "Product Placement" for high fees, Bush arranged for their new TR82B radio to be well featured in the remake of the classic film: The 39 Steps, starring Kenneth Moore (he of "Reach For The Skys" fame).

Anyway the scene took place in a railway carriage compartment with several actors seated, including Kenneth Moore - as the character Richard Hannay, who was on the run from the police.

The next thing, was the sound of an announcer reading the news about the search for Richard Hannay. As the announcement continued, the camera panned to an older woman who was holding the Bush TR82B towards the camera (obviously not as would be held in use) and the camera panned to a close up of this brand new 1959 model.

Unfortunately, I can't find out how much money Bush paid for it!

Well done Bush, probably help the sales increase to make it one of the most popular models.

BushTR82B39Steps1959.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo