Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Taste of a City!

Panamabob said:
Piura, Peru: Anticuchos- A marinated beef heart grilled on a stick. The wood that was used on the grills was smoky. The ladies fanned the wood so fast it made you laugh.

Arequipa, Peru: Lomo Saltado (beef loin, french fries, tomotoes, onions and rice) and Cola Escocesa.. Pisco sour.

Montecristi, Ecuador: Seco de carne: Beef stew in a chili/tomato sauce, rice, fresh squeezed juice and all the flies you'd care to see.

Quevedo, Ecuador: Fried chicken and french fries with mayo and ketchup, aji de onions and hot peppers, and a really gold Fanta strawberry. Flan that was out of this world. Or Polla de Prisa, a pollo a la brasa from street vendors.

Any real Chinese restaurant in Quevedo, the Chinatown of Ecuador.

Oh man! Now you are singing my song. Seco de carne. All of those are great. MMMMMM MMMMM! :eusa_clap

Regards,

J

Harp

I'll Lock Up
Hawaiian Cuisine

Lincsong said:
Oh, I forgot that when in Hawaii; pork lau lau, (pork steamed in ti leaves) and manapua (chinese char siu bao).

I once had an apartment in Honolulu's Makkiki Heights neighborhood
near a Chinese restaurant that served manapua and another dish
that included sweet sauce over grilled shark--when available.
Not bad.

moustache

Practically Family
Boston and Providence

Boston to me reminds me of Lobster Bisque and beer at Cheers.
Providence of a deep pan pizza near the Massachussets border.

JD

Salv

One Too Many
Mike in Seattle said:
Hmmmm - the parsley-vinegar-salt-pepper sauce idea definitely intrigues me - know of any recipes anywhere? Haven't heard of a sauce (or gravy as we'd call it "here in the States) like that before.

You could try this one. No eel juice included though...

GOK

One Too Many
Kt Templar said:
Salv, I suspect we live quite close to one another I remember you talking about Murrys in Ham... well there is a Manze's in Sutton if that's anywhere near to you and they make a great mug of tea. But London is fish and chips eaten out of newsprint on Richmond Green sharing a few of the chips with the pigeons.

I used to go to Manze's in Walthamstow - I was never impressed! My friend used to sit there with her pie and mash, whilst I had just the mash! LOL! I suspect I may have been missing the point! Good mash though!

Salv, there is a seller of chestnuts outside the BM - the nuts are always excellent and inexpensive. And they're great for stuffing in the pockets to keep oneself warm!

That liquor recipe - I'd have thought that using fish stock would be more authentic than chicken. [huh]

Back on topic, the best fruit I ever had was in Turkey. I was completely astounded by the freshness and the flavour, especially with the figs. And the olives! Oh my goodness, they were divine! There was the most wonderful market in Kuşadaşi with just about every kind of fruit (and veg) you could imagine. Turkey is one of only seven countries in the world that is self sufficient with regard to food and because so much of the country is rural and the climate so variable, it makes for an enormous range of crops.

Before I stopped consuming dairy, I went to Wenslydale (inspecting the old family pile, making sure EH was looking after it!! LOL!) and paid a visit to the creamery where they make the Wensleydale cheese. It was a fascinating trip (I was amused at all the Wallace & Grommit stuff there!) and of course, I had to buy some cheese. Wonderful, wonderful stuff and so different to what you buy in the shops down here. And in the tea room there, you get served a slice of rich fruit cake with a slab of cheese! I thought the idea was quite bizarre but you know what? It works!

I have to admit that I do miss cheese. :(

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender

Rhodes (Greece): Fresh figs and olives outside in a small street cafe of the old town, with a dark, silty shot of coffee.

Belfast (N.Ireland): Warm baked and breaded Irish ham, oysters and Guinness.

Belfast (N.Ireland): Ulster Fry; Soda bread, Potatoe bread, Wheaten bread, thick cut back bacon, sausages, couple of fried eggs, baked beans.

Malaga (Spain): Fresh swordfish steaks, and Tuna steaks.

Dublin (Republic of Ireland); Champ (mashed potatoes with fried onions, carrots, cabbage mixed in, butter, milk and salt).

Edinburgh (Scotland): Fresh scottish salmon (try Fishers Restaurant, just off George St).

Pokhara (Nepal): Fresh pumpkin soup. Water Buffalo steaks.

Jaiphur (India); Varous curries sold in big dried leaves at the train platforms (beware!).

Madrid (Spain/Espana); Tapas (small dishes of meat/seafood/veggie )

Valenica (Spain/Espana); Castanas (roast chestnuts), yummy in autumn.

Newcastle (UK); Baked ham, pease pudding smeared over, in a buttered stottie roll.

Bavaria (Germany); hot sausages and steiners of beer.

Gibraltar (UK), So.Spain; Churros, deep fried long pieces of batter in sugar, eaten out of a bag.

Tangiers (Morocco); Spiced Moroccon Lamb in the souk. Mint tea.

Salv

One Too Many
GOK said:
I used to go to Manze's in Walthamstow - I was never impressed! My friend used to sit there with her pie and mash, whilst I had just the mash! LOL! I suspect I may have been missing the point! Good mash though!
Just mash and liquor! Yep, you missed the point :D
GOK said:
Salv, there is a seller of chestnuts outside the BM - the nuts are always excellent and inexpensive. And they're great for stuffing in the pockets to keep oneself warm!
I think it was matei who mentioned chestnuts, but next time I'm up that way I'll give 'em a try anyway.
GOK said:
That liquor recipe - I'd have thought that using fish stock would be more authentic than chicken. [huh]
If the liquor was to go with eels then I'd agree, but with a minced beef pie I'm not sure it would be such a winning combination.

Salv

One Too Many
PADDY said:
Gibraltar (UK), So.Spain; Churros, deep fried long pieces of batter in sugar, eaten out of a bag.

Oh yes! Even better sprinkled with a bit of ground cinnamon and dipped in that extra-thick Spanish hot chocolate.

GOK

One Too Many
Salv said:
Just mash and liquor! Yep, you missed the point :D

Even more, given that I didn't have liquor! lol

If the liquor was to go with eels then I'd agree, but with a minced beef pie I'm not sure it would be such a winning combination.

But I think the stuff they have in the shops is made with eel stock and that gets served with the meat pies. As to whether it works, I couldn't say but that was my reasoning for using fish stock.

Salv

One Too Many
GOK said:
Even more, given that I didn't have liquor! lol .
Oh lordy, even worse lol
GOK said:
But I think the stuff they have in the shops is made with eel stock and that gets served with the meat pies. As to whether it works, I couldn't say but that was my reasoning for using fish stock.

Oh, right, sorry, I was being a bit dense there...

Haversack

One Too Many
For San Francisco, Dungeness Crab and the Sourdough bread have already been mentioned. I'll add:

Cioppino at the counter at the Tadich Grill.
Anchor Steam anywhere.
From an earlier era - an It's-It at Playland-by-the-Beach, (they still make them although Playland is no more).
Hangtown Fry in about half-a-dozen places around town.
A Hamburger from Original Joe's in the Tenderloin - (a piece of hollowed out sourdough bread containing a hot, dripping ovoid of just ground beef and chopped onions.)

For other California:

Santa Maria Barbequed Tri-Tip on a weekend at innumerable road-sides in San Luis Obispo County.
Smoked Salmon from the Klamath Tribe up in Humboldt County.

For Germany:

Currywurst from the Schnell Imbiss on the Haupt Strasse in Erlangen.
Spannferkel at the "Alt Baumwolle" in Nuremberg.
The combined smell and flavour of grilling Nuremberger Bratwuerste, simmering Gluehwein, and baking Lebkuchen at the Christkindl Markt in Nuremeberg during the cold month of December.
The short-lived sausages made when helping my landlord hold a Schlacht Schlussel.

Regarding the parsely & vinegar sauce known in London as "liquor": It is a form of a very old sauce known as "sauce vert" for which recipes can be found across northern Europe going back to the 14th C. My Scots grandmother made one which used fresh mint instead of parsely for roast lamb.

Haversack.

Strawberry

New in Town
Pisco Sour and Chile. I haven't been anywhere in the U.S. where they could make this drink. I have made them at home but they don't taste the same as they did in Chile of course.

Tommy Fedora

One of the Regulars
On our honeymoon in Hawaii we took the tourist tour of the Dole pineapple fields and tasted some samples at their welcome center. It either tasted better there or it was the scenery, I don't know which. Anyway, whenever my wife and I eat pineapple, we look at each other and smile, remembering Hawaii 32 years later.

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender

And let's not forget Sloppy Joe's in Key West and their marvelous Key Lime Pie! Oh, and their conch fritters are excellent as well. Their rum-runners aren't bad either.

I haven't seen anyone mention Baltimore's Inner Harbor and their wonderful Maryland steamed crabs, steamed in beer from the tap. Yummy.

MattJH

One Too Many
Hemingway Jones said:
Another one that I will always hold dear to my heart is the Philadelphia Cheesteak, that delicious mix of shaved steak grilled with fried onions and mixed with American cheese and stuffed into a slash made into an Amorosa roll! Unbelievable. Personally, I don't care if they come from Pat's, Gino's, Jim's or Gaetano's; they're all amazing, and they all taste like home.

Ah, yes! Several nights after closing a bar I'd end up at the Pat's/Geno's corner wolfing down any cheesesteak I could get my hands on. Unfortunately, Pat's and Geno's is more of a tourist attraction at this point than it is a good representation of a Philadelphia cheesesteak, which is well and good -- it leaves the best locations uncrowded for the locals :)

Other tastes that remind me of Philadelphia, my home sweet home:

Flying Fish beer
Independence beer
Yuengling beer
Yard's beer
Nodding Head beer
Sly Fox beer
Victory beer
Dock Street beer
Red Bell beer
General Lafayette beer
Manayunk beer

(If you can't tell, the city loves beer.)

Soft pretzels
Tastycakes
Herr's potato chips
Bassett's ice cream
Italian hoagies
Dutch water ice
And, as much as I dislike it, pork roll / scrapple

CanadaDoll

Practically Family
Kauai'i Island= the BEST pizza I've ever tried!:D

Utila= Barracuda

La Antigua= Tortilla soup at Frieda's
Nutella and strawberry crepes at Fernando's

San Marcos La Laguna= Baked Stuffed Eggplant, and homemade chocolate truffles:D

Home= Vanilla Bean creme brulee at a local restaurant mmmmmm.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tuatara