Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The things you find...

rebelgtp

One of the Regulars
I moved recently and part of packing up I had to unpack the bar, I ended up giving away more than a dozen bottles (including some scotch that was 30+ years old). Then in the very back corner of the bar covered in dust and a few webs...a bottle of Old Havana rum...from Cuba. I'm not quite sure where I got this bottle but it does show its age, I'll try and take a picture tomorrow. I also had found a rather ancient bottle of Bacardi and a few things that scared me.

So who else has found an odd bottle in the back of their bar?

BegintheBeguine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Are there any bottles of Creme de Menthe that aren't old? I kid, I bought one last year from the PX to make Starboard Lights, a drink I got the recipe for here at the Lounge. Yummy and glowing.
I cleaned out the pantry of my dad's house and had to put an interestingly-shaped bottle of Kirsch in the refrigerator because mice were gnawing the label. The liquor store tag is still on it but not the price tag, from 1968-1971? Not pre-Castro but we didn't move into this house until the mid-60s.
When I clean out the buffet I will have more to report.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Funny you should mention

My former landlord gave me the key to a mysterious cabinet in the basement. It looked like something from a horror movie, covered in dust and cobwebs. What I found inside was a trove of old booze bottles that had probably been in there for 40 years or more. There was a bottle of rum made here in Brooklyn (gak!), many bottle of strange liqueurs from odd corners of the globe, some nasty looking Israeli wine, some Teachers Highland Creme Scotch, some spoiled bottles of port and sherry, several nice bottles of Hennessy cognac (which I enjoyed very much, thank you) and last but not least, a bottle of Bacardi rum, produced in Cuba. The rum will stay there until a truly worthwhile occasion presents itself.

reetpleat

Call Me a Cab
Friends of mine do estate sales. They often find old opened or unopened bottles. they can't legally sell them, so.......

Viola

Call Me a Cab
I love creme de menthe. I like Grasshoppers.

I pour it into green tea sometimes, which I imagine is an INCREDIBLY edgy and bold statement... if you are Miss Marple. lol

Story

I'll Lock Up
BegintheBeguine said:
A Starboard Light! (it really does glow green!)

I wonder if that's what they used in the movie REANIMATOR??

We used to fill IV drip bags with Lime M/D 20/20 for Halloween parties. :p

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
In 1989, I found a bottle of "Hospital Brandy" in a damp basement.
It was Brandy and there was a beautiful picture of a hospital on the remnants of the label. Drank it with Schweppes Ginger Ale. The Brandy must have been very old. It was fine. It still worked remarkably well. I have experienced "old" bottles of wine and other drinks, where the alcohol has totally gone and the remaining liquid is foul. Wine stored upright will spoil and, the alcohol evaporate- this has happened to a few bottles which were in my Mother in Law's liquor cabinet for about 4 years- 2 nice bottle of wine and some neighbours' home-made "wine".
All foul and all missing the alcohol. Watery, nasty tasting stuff.

B
T

rumblefish

One Too Many
In my fathers bar I found a circular bottle with two sides, canteen shaped and having two spouts. One side is Liquor D'Or and the other Creme de Menthe.

jkingrph

Practically Family
Josephine said:
I had an old bottle of Creme de Menthe that had turned from green to an electric blue. o_O The perfect Romulan Ale color, actually. :)

I have the remains of an old bottle, along with one of Creme de Caco that was purchased in a class 6 store in Izmir, Turkey back in or about 1973.

Ethan Bentley

One Too Many
BellyTank said:
In 1989, I found a bottle of "Hospital Brandy" in a damp basement.
It was Brandy and there was a beautiful picture of a hospital on the remnants of the label. Drank it with Schweppes Ginger Ale. The Brandy must have been very old. It was fine. It still worked remarkably well. I have experienced "old" bottles of wine and other drinks, where the alcohol has totally gone and the remaining liquid is foul. Wine stored upright will spoil and, the alcohol evaporate- this has happened to a few bottles which were in my Mother in Law's liquor cabinet for about 4 years- 2 nice bottle of wine and some neighbours' home-made "wine".
All foul and all missing the alcohol. Watery, nasty tasting stuff.

B
T

That's what I love about brandy and particularly cognac it just lasts so long without spoiling.

Brooksie

One Too Many
Several years ago while I was staying out at a Hotel named Edgefield (owned by the McMinnimin Brother's - which will not mean anything to most of you) it is a very unique and wonderful place out side of Portland. I had a suite with a balcony and on the balcony was half of a bottle of decent white wine. Which was a strange and pleasant surprise.

Brooksie

J.J. Gittes

A-List Customer
My employers found some moonshine that was all dusty with cobwebs in the back of their Tiki Bar when they were cleaning. They didn't dare to drink it. lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails