Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Ultimate Vintage Movie Collectible

Worf

I'll Lock Up
Unnnh.... count me out. I'm from a LOOOOONG line of folks that believe in mojo and hoodoo. I'd be scared to keep it within 1000 miles of me.

Worf

LizzieMaine

Bartender
We ran it for our Halloween show several years ago, with a live score by an avant-garde group called "The Devil Music Ensemble." Music meshed perfectly with the film, which is basically "Dracula" crossed with "The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari." Very bizarre and haunting in that early twenties German sort of way. The vampire, renamed "Count Orlok," is in no way similar to Lugosi-style vampires -- he is not handsome, courtly, or refined. He's much closer to the traditional Rumanian view of vampires as filthy plague-carriers, as befits a creature who sleeps in a coffin full of rats.

A great picture everyone should see at least once -- but make sure you see a good print with a decent score. There's a lot of crappy bargain-basement DVDs floating around of this, and the visual quality makes a real difference.

Big J

Call Me a Cab
That's kind of scary!
I always fancied taking home the Maltese Falcon, or Ahab's leg myself.

I believe the Maltese Falcon - the one used in the movie - sold at auction in the last few years for $3 million or something crazy like that.

And now that I have Lizzie's excellent review of "Nosferatu," I'm curious if Worf has seen it as it seems right up his alley?

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
Has anyone seen the movie - Released in 1922, “Nosferatu” was an unauthorized adaptation of Bram Stoker’s novel “Dracula” - referenced?

I saw a version that has been restored to it’s original on TCM.

Also check out this one :
NOSFERATU: PHANTOM DER NACHT (NOSFERATU THE VAMPYRE) (1979)

W​erner Herzog’s ’79 remake of F.W. Murnau’s classic with Klaus Kinski.

But, there is an added element to watching a film in the theater
with others. I find it very satisfying & is a totally different feeling than if I was to
watch it at home.

Last edited:
Has anyone seen the movie - Released in 1922, “Nosferatu” was an unauthorized adaptation of Bram Stoker’s novel “Dracula” - referenced?
I've seen Nosferatu quite a few times; once in a proper theater with live musical accompaniment. I agree with LizzieMaine--if you're interested, do your best to obtain a good print. In 2005-2006 Kino International (Now Kino Lorber) did a frame-by-frame restoration using bits and pieces from a number of surviving copies, and had the original Hans Erdmann 1921 score performed by the Saarbrücken Radio Symphony Orchestra and re-recorded. This restoration is considered by many to be the most faithful to the version of the movie seen in theaters in 1922, and is arguably the best available...if you can find it, that is. Released on DVD and Blu-Ray in 2007 it can be difficult to find for a fair price these days but, as LizzieMaine also mentioned, the majority of the low-budget public domain versions available on DVD are unwatchable due to their extremely poor video and audio qualities.

In my opinion Nosferatu is a far better movie than Dracula (1933), and well worth seeing.

Big J

Call Me a Cab
Has anyone else seen the fictional account of the making of Nosferatu, with DaFoe as an actual vampire playing the part? Very funny, but very creepy.

Has anyone else seen the fictional account of the making of Nosferatu, with DaFoe as an actual vampire playing the part? Very funny, but very creepy.
Shadow of the Vampire (2000). Willem Dafoe as Max Schreck, and John Malkovich as F.W. Murnau. Atmospheric, with a surprising amount of humor. Worth seeing if you're a fan of Nosferatu; people unfamiliar with that movie might enjoy it, but not fully appreciate it.

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy