Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Vintage Camera Club Thread

rjb1

Practically Family
One more thing while I'm thinking about it - before you try to shoot any film in it you MUST re-cut the leader according to the pattern shown in the camera base. If you don't, modern film will jam every time.
(You may already know that, but I thought it would be good to add it, just in case...)

Lamplight

One of the Regulars
By the way, while this isn't mine it was recently for sale at my local photo lab for about $800, if I remember correctly. And I thought that was a halfway decent deal! (It came with the lens)

DSCF3879.jpg

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
By the way, while this isn't mine it was recently for sale at my local photo lab for about $800, if I remember correctly. And I thought that was a halfway decent deal! (It came with the lens)

DSCF3879.jpg

Is that IIIg ?

The one I have may be postwar IIIF with 50 mm Summicron f/2, collapsible lens ,
something like this :

Screenshot2012-10-29at91141PM.png

Lamplight

One of the Regulars
Unfortunately I don't know anything about that camera, except that it was awesome. I'm not terribly familiar with older Leicas (even though I like them).

DamianM

Vendor
Lucky, yes, but I go to the flea markets just about every Sunday & I go early…by noon, the "good finds" are gone.

With swap meets same thing, go as early as possible.

99 % is junk…but there's always that "something that you can't live without", that makes it worthwhile ! :D

BTW...camera + doodads was $35.:p ...

wow that is a steal!

Swap meets are always a gamble but Ive also gotten out with amazing things paying next to nothing.

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
wow that is a steal!

Swap meets are always a gamble but Ive also gotten out with amazing things paying next to nothing.

Swaps can be a gamble unless you know what to look for….example ,

At a auto swap meet there was a Schwinn bicycle bell ringer from the '50s, the vendor wanted $100.
Too much for me so I passed on it . Later at a flea market this same item was selling for $5. To this
vendor, it was just an old bell from a kid's bike. Same thing on a 1939 Superman Action Comics issue #2
The front cover was missing, but everything else was intact & in great condition. Paid $10. The main thing
is knowing an original from a reproduction & what to look for. Do it long enough you will know what to
look for on things you like ! Also for me, part of the fun is "in the search"…

Good Luck to You ;)

DamianM

Vendor
Swaps can be a gamble unless you know what to look for….example ,

At a auto swap meet there was a Schwinn bicycle bell ringer from the '50s, the vendor wanted $100.
Too much for me so I passed on it . Later at a flea market this same item was selling for $5. To this
vendor, it was just an old bell from a kid's bike. Same thing on a 1939 Superman Action Comics issue #2
The front cover was missing, but everything else was intact & in great condition. Paid $10. The main thing
is knowing an original from a reproduction & what to look for. Do it long enough you will know what to
look for on things you like ! Also for me, part of the fun is "in the search"…

Good Luck to You ;)

gone away with 5 dollar 50s suits, 3 dollar pairs of hollywood high slacks, and 25 cent 40s handpainted neckties. Yeah I love swap meets.

Warbaby

One Too Many
My vintage camera haul from this weekend's garage sales:

Streamline plastic Brownie 127 - $2.00
Brownie127.JPG

Agfa Optima - $2.00
AgfaOptimaCR.jpg

East German Beirette from the late 50s-early 60s - $5.00
The cool thing about this cute little 35mm RF is the sliding film winder on the back.

Beirette1.JPG

Beirette2.JPG

I wasn't particularly interested in this Practica, but the lady threw it in with the Beirette.
Practica.JPG

Picard1138

One of the Regulars
I'm going to bump this thread. I've been shooting medium format (120) for a few years now, mostly using 1960s and 50s cameras (CiroFlex TLR and Hasselblad 500c/m), but have recently acquired the taste for the old box cameras. I now have an Agfa 44 which is loaded and ready to shoot, and a Brownie No.2 is on its way off the 'Bay. I also have a beautiful Kodak No.2 Bulls Eye from 1897, a guilty pleasure present to myself, however unfortunately not shootable because 101 film is impossible to get.

I would like to pick the membership's brain on best films to use for the box cameras. I accidentally loaded the Agfa 44 with 400 speed color film, so we'll see how that turns out (it was expired anyway). I assume 100 speed B&W would work well in these? I think I read the shutter speed is essentially set on 1/60 on most of them.

I'm also looking to get a nice medium format folding camera; I've been eyeing up older Ikontas, without rangefinder. Does anyone have any suggestions?

And even larger bellows, I may start delving into 4x5 shooting, as the Speed Graphic is just a beautiful machine that I would love to use.

-Max

Go, Max!! I have a folding Graflex 2-1/4 x 3-1/4 which I have used for weddings and loads of portraits. Ektar lens. You are absolutely CORRECT ... a beautiful machine!

Picard1138

One of the Regulars
I think I'm gravitating toward an early 1940s Speed Graphic, as I like the idea of still being able to use the focal plane shutter if I don't want to use the lens shutter. I'm already planning for a second one, and for that I would get a 1950s era Crown Graphic, because of the later upgrades and ease of mobility.

Bank account beware!

-Max

1930artdeco

Practically Family
I believe you are correct on the shutter speed for the box camera. They take great b&w pics and probably the color ones will turn out something like a 40's color shot as well. I need to get my lab up and running this year and blow the dust off my 4x5's.

Mike

rjb1

Practically Family
You can't have too many graflexes. I have been collecting them (and using them) since I graduated from college and that was a long time ago.
You need to look into the changes in the back configuration before buying if you plan to actually use it in the most convenient way. Anything pre-late '40's will not have the Graflok back which makes finding and using a roll film back much easier.
If you only plan to shoot 4x5 sheet film then it doesn't make as much difference.

The '50's era Crown would be the better choice for a pure "user" graflex. By coincidence, one of those was my first graflex - a medium format Crown with a super-sharp Schneider Xenotar 80mm f2.8 on it. After one look at the negatives from that I was hooked forever.

To get back to the original question, I would try to match the film to the lighting. To be specific, I recently tested a "Billy Clack" for a friend and shot Tri X (400) on a cloudy overcast day and it worked out well. I think if I was shooting a brighter day I would use Plus X at 125. ("Billy Clack" is a great name for a camera.)
Do you develop your own B&W? If not, you might want to try it. Being in control of the whole process from front to back will let you assess what is working and what is not most directly.
For that 1897 Kodak, have you thought about cutting a piece of sheet film to fit the image opening and taping it in place (all in the darkroom, of course). The you take it out and shoot it. You only get one shot, but it's unusual enough that it makes it worth the effort to get one good image out of an old camera. If you set it carefully and compose and focus carefully, you can get something worth having. Just showing someone a print made from a camera that's 117 years old would be an achievement.

Picard1138

One of the Regulars
RJB,

That sounds like a great idea. I may just do that, or maybe see if I can spool up 120 with some adaptors.

As for the Graflex; I mentioned it to a friend and he said that he had a later Speed Graphic to give me, so that will turn out well no matter what. *Update: Turns out it's a much later Pacemaker Speed Graphic with rangefinder on top, and Graflok back with an angled reflex viewer currently attached. I should get everything next week at some point after New Years, and I will post photos here.

I also just purchased a nice 1940s Anniversary Speed on ebay, with full set up, flash and about 10 film holders. We'll see how that turns out next week as well.

More to come!

As for developing my own film, I used to develop my own B&W 35mm. I would like to get into 4x5 developing.

-Max

Last edited:

Picard1138

One of the Regulars
The Kodaks came in the mail the other day, and I took some cell phone photos after cleanup. I fully intend to use the Brownie, I'm trying to figure out a way to use the 1897 Bull's Eye:

1897 No. 2 Bull's Eye (101 sized film):

IMG_20131228_222120_420.jpg IMG_20131228_222359_684.jpg IMG_20131228_222428_889.jpg IMG_20131228_222815_782.jpg IMG_20131228_222854_685.jpg IMG_20131228_223140_719.jpg

1916 Brownie No. 2 (120 format):
IMG_20131228_223704_356.jpg IMG_20131228_223723_649.jpg IMG_20131228_223820_147.jpg IMG_20131228_223849_656.jpg

One of my camera shelves at home:
IMG_20131228_230216_505.jpg

-Max

rjb1

Practically Family
Yes, I have one that's a Leica I on the outside and a Zorki I on the inside. It has had two different problems: Pinhole leaks in the curtains and a bad bearing at the lower end of the film takeup reel/shaft. The latter was easily fixed with a small steel bushing (I'm a mechanical engineer) and the first is an ongoing problem. I only paid $25 for it, so it's something to fool around with. I like the black finish and the no-rangefinder look, but I use my real Leicas when I want to really take pictures.
I had another "tractor-factory Leica" but it was so frustrating I gave it away. It would work fine with no film in it but would only take about 3 or 4 pictures per roll on a random basis. It was so annoying that I gave it away to a guy who uses it as part of his WWII German reenactor display.

Picard1138

One of the Regulars
Yes, I have one that's a Leica I on the outside and a Zorki I on the inside. It has had two different problems: Pinhole leaks in the curtains and a bad bearing at the lower end of the film takeup reel/shaft. The latter was easily fixed with a small steel bushing (I'm a mechanical engineer) and the first is an ongoing problem. I only paid $25 for it, so it's something to fool around with. I like the black finish and the no-rangefinder look, but I use my real Leicas when I want to really take pictures.
I had another "tractor-factory Leica" but it was so frustrating I gave it away. It would work fine with no film in it but would only take about 3 or 4 pictures per roll on a random basis. It was so annoying that I gave it away to a guy who uses it as part of his WWII German reenactor display.

Pinholes can be fixed with a brush-on paint compound. It's available here, I haven't used it yet personally but I've heard glowing reviews: http://www.equinoxphotographic.com/bellows.htm

Best of luck.

-Max

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner