Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Vintage Shirt Company trilby

Feraud

Bartender
Jovan said:
All I know is that hand stitched lining is superior and obviously the felt should be 100% natural.

Neither of which is noted on the site. Or did I miss something?
There is no mention of the dimensions of the hat.

deanglen

My Mail is Forwarded Here
This interests me:
HA110.jpg

dean

Tango Yankee

Call Me a Cab
You'd be buying a pig in a poke, as the saying goes...

The site gives almost no information, so unless someone can pop up with personal experience with this company you'll be rolling the dice.

Are you looking for a trilby or stingy brim in particular? (Saw your thread about the Bond hat.) I see lots of stingy brims on eBay. What size are you? Are you having problems finding what you want due to having a large hat size?

Is it the particular color you're looking for?

Is there a certain price range you're staying within? At about $58 plus whatever shipping from the UK will be you're in the range of some Jaxon hats on sale. A little more and you can get a Bailey. Check some of the vendors here, such as The Fedora Store, Aaron Hats, or The Village Hat Shop. Our vendors are good people, so check them out before going with an unknown.

Or, if it looks like it's just what you want, go ahead and buy it-then post a report on it when you get it! :D

Just my not-so-knowledgeable opinions and questions.

Cheers,
Tom

Tango Yankee

Call Me a Cab
Jovan said:
Well, I'm seeing if I should ask anything else about it.

If you're going to ask questions of the vendor:

What is it made of? (The type of felt is not given on the site. Wool, fur?)
What are the dimensions? Brim width, crown height, ribbon width...
Looks like a raw edge; is it?
Doubt at that price the lining is sewn in, probably glued--but you can ask.
What type of sweatband? Leather, fabric, vinyl?

What would shipping to the US cost?

That should get you started.

Cheers,
Tom

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Jovan said:
I've been having trouble finding what I want on the 'Bay.

What features exactly "do you" want in a hat Jovan?

Members here will find it rather hard to offer advice and guidance, unless you 'firstly' help them by stating the things you like about a hat and want from a hat.

~So, that might be a worthwhile start to helping 'you' eventually make an informed decision ;)

Jovan

Suspended
Sorry, yeah, you can tell I'm new at this. I basically want a black trilby like Bond's in the thread aforementioned by Tango. That's about all I can say. Anything you need to know regarding my preferences of fit, etc.?

I'll make sure I measure my head right and get back to this thread with it.

Feraud

Bartender
I would begin with sites that provide basic hat information like fur content and hat dimensions. From there you can narrow down your selection and get feedback from members if necessary.

Tango Yankee

Call Me a Cab

Jovan

Suspended
Thanks! Those are nice hats. I only wish there was a sort of intermediate between the Detroit and Christys' -- I like the slight taper, tallish crown, and small ribbon of the Bond hat, but cannot afford the price at all. I wish the website would show more pictures of the former two. Maybe I'll ask for some.

Tango Yankee

Call Me a Cab
Wool felt is a viable option

Your choices widen a bit in your price range if you consider wool felt. I know, many here wouldn't think of doing so, but a decent wool hat would be a good starter hat.

http://www.thefedorastore.com/Orson-Jet-Nap-Finish-Bogart-Fedora-Hat-p/1465.htm

http://www.thefedorastore.com/Bop-Litefelt-Teardrop-Fedora-Hat-p/7003.htm

http://www.thefedorastore.com/Tango-Jet-Nap-Center-Dent-Fedora-Hat-p/1430.htm

http://www.thefedorastore.com/Bailey-Lanolux-Barr-Center-Dent-Fedora-p/37160.htm

Lots of choices out there. Or, start a "hat savings" and save up for a custom or bespoke hat made to fit your requiements.

Good luck!

Tom

Edward

Bartender
Yes, if you'[re open to wool felt, that will make a big difference in price. FWIW, IME in the UK GBP30 (USD 60) will buy you a very nice woll felt hat which will hold up well if properly treated, quite likely to be unlined (if that matters to you, some folks it doesn't). If you want fur felt it seems you're up to GBP50ish.

Quite honestly, though, if you're in the US and looking to buy new, I'd buy there - everything pretty much seesm to me to be cheaper over there.

Tango Yankee

Call Me a Cab
Edward said:
Quite honestly, though, if you're in the US and looking to buy new, I'd buy there - everything pretty much seesm to me to be cheaper over there.

Most things are, especially with the current exchange rate. When I was living there it seemed as though everything was priced the same, just with the GBP mark instead of the $. I often wondered how my neighbors could afford to live in their own country!

One major exception, though, is mobiles. After having a mobile (cell phone) in the UK, what you go through having one here in the US annoys me no end.

Cheers,
Tom

Edward

Bartender
Tango Yankee said:
Most things are, especially with the current exchange rate. When I was living there it seemed as though everything was priced the same, just with the GBP mark instead of the $. I often wondered how my neighbors could afford to live in their own country!

Yip. I feel the pinch most when it comes to clothes and guitars (I'd adore to have a nice thirties style archtop, and moving into the 50s a Gretsch 6120), and it's exactly what you say. Sometimes worse - Gibson have put out a few lower end guitars in the past few years that go for USD499 over there - and closer to GBP700 over here. Criminal. At least Dick Turpin had the decency to wear a mask....

One major exception, though, is mobiles. After having a mobile (cell phone) in the UK, what you go through having one here in the US annoys me no end.

Yeah, so I believe. Actually, I heard that in the US you end up paying for incoming calls too?

Tango Yankee

Call Me a Cab
Edward said:
Yeah, so I believe. Actually, I heard that in the US you end up paying for incoming calls too?

We're moving far :eek:fftopic: but...

Yes, incoming calls get paid for one way or another. It stems from the uniquely US history of local calls being free. Originally the cell phone companies figured SOMEONE had to pay for a call to a cell phone, and trying to make the caller pay for what was to them a local call wouldn't fly so those braving the new technology got to pay for it. That's my theory, anyway.

With my BT Cellnet phone I very rarely had an issue with no signal, from a ski hut in the Swiss Alps to somewhere in Scottland where there was nothing manmade in sight except for rock fences. I was able to use it here in the US. It was cheaper, too. The only reason I didn't keep it after moving back here was because I couldn't see having my friends and family having to call an international number to call me.

Texting is another issue. There, if you had a mobile you could send/receive text messages. Here, it's an extra service that, naturally, you pay extra for.

I'd better stop. I can easily go on and on this way!

Back to the subject... In summary, finding a "Bond" trilby at a low price will likely require constant vigilance on eBay or expanding the search to include wool felt. lol

Cheers,
Tom

PS The job I just interviewed for may include trips to London once or twice a year. :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24