Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Windsor Collar

Derek WC

Banned
Is it just me, or does anybody else think that the Windsor collar is hideous?
21_0.jpg

I have however, found more extreme versions.

fluteplayer07

One Too Many
A collar isn't a collar without points. (Unless we're talking those vintage style rounded club/golf collars, but there's exceptions to everything.)

Otherwise, its just a strip of fabric around the back of your neck.

Derek WC

Banned
That, Tomasso, is even more so than I was referring to.

It really is a shame that only one out of ten dress shirts have even a slightly pointed collar.

norton

One of the Regulars
A moderate spread, like the one in the initial post, is my favorite. I normally wear either that or a button down.

Michael Carter

One of the Regulars
A proper spread collar I think looks better with a suit coat than any other collar. I have several UK shirts where the collar fills the area of the upper part of the coat right to the points. The collar and jacket lapels form a diamond shape.

Gieves & Hawkes and Turnbull & Asser are two of the UK's finer shirt makers that will tailor a collar for you if you wish. If not, their off the rack shirts have a conservative cut-away collar that looks nothing like the above mess. It looks much like the first photo in the OP, but the points are slightly longer.
Thomas Pink and Charles Tyrwhitt are two other fine shirtmakers. Not quite as pricey as the first two.

I'm wearing a conservative cut-away collar in my avitar. The shirt is T&A

billyspew

One Too Many
A proper spread collar I think looks better with a suit coat than any other collar. I have several UK shirts where the collar fills the area of the upper part of the coat right to the points. The collar and jacket lapels form a diamond shape.

Gieves & Hawkes and Turnbull & Asser are two of the UK's finer shirt makers that will tailor a collar for you if you wish. If not, their off the rack shirts have a conservative cut-away collar that looks nothing like the above mess. It looks much like the first photo in the OP, but the points are slightly longer.
Thomas Pink and Charles Tyrwhitt are two other fine shirtmakers. Not quite as pricey as the first two.

I'm wearing a conservative cut-away collar in my avitar. The shirt is T&A

I agree with the above comments. I wear a Windsor cutaway about 50% of the time. As well as more moderate point collars I also have club collars and tab collars. One collar would never wear though is a button down.

CharlieB

A-List Customer
A moderate spread like the one Michael Carter is sporting is passable, but some of these images look like the colalr was an after thought. I prefer mine tighter when wearing a tie - I often use a collar bar to keep it snug.

Blackadder

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I actually have shirts that look exactly like the one in the picture. Some of you say it's hideous but I like spread collar especially with a slim 3-piece. However I do concede that spread collar like that do not go with double breast.

Blackadder

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Love Turnbull & Asser, once I bought three of them same pattern different colour. Their signature three buttons cuff looks great but probably not on me as I am quite short. I also like Charvet from France. Another brand I find very good and cheaper than Asser and Charvet is Harry & Son from Italy. Used to love Ralph Lauren's purple label but the quality is not what it used to be.
I find Thomas Pink too contemporary.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot