Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Wizard of Oz is being remade

JC

New in Town
I am definetely not looking forward to this. While not a die-hard fan of the original (let's be honest, it just gives me the willies!) I think any attempt to remake this will fall flat on us all.

Charlie74

Familiar Face
I heard it was not a remake but a prequel, before Dorothy. Let's hope so because this is another film that a remake of should never be made

bradford

Familiar Face
I heard it was not a remake but a prequel, before Dorothy. Let's hope so because this is another film that a remake of should never be made

That might be the movie version of the musical Wicked. That has apparently been in the works for a while.

I'm surprised they would want Zemeckis. His last three films have not done well at the box office - The Christmas Carol, Beowulf and The Polar Express.

I say if they're going to remake it, bring in Michael Bay! Panoramic views of the Emerald City and Flying Monkeys buzzing overhead.

Pompidou

One Too Many
Considering the famous Judy Garland Wizard of Oz was itself one of a few remakes, it doesn't seem like a big deal that the movie is being remade again. The worst case scenario is the movie sucks, and in that case, it'll be in good company with hundreds of other movies from across the decades many of which are original stories. If it's particularly good, it'll be in good company with other good remakes like Maltese Falcon, King Kong, The Wizard of Oz w/ Judy Garland, Dracula (lightning struck three times), Robin Hood and others. I'll watch it. I've got in a habit of not condemning a movie before I see it because I'm often wrong.

Harp

I'll Lock Up

Sometimes I wish I could just click my heels together and wish the remakes away. "

Ruby slippers? :)
:eek:fftopic: La rose est l'oeil des fleurs, le foudre de beaute.
Sappho, de la chanson de la Rose

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
You know Major D., I wish that there had been a 3 Stooges re-make of it. Moe as the Scarecrow, Larry as the Tin Woodsman, and Shemp as the Cowardly Lion. Christine McIntyre could have been Dorothy...Oh, and Vernon Dent as the Wizard.

Wow! That's sheer genius! :eusa_clap And it certainly should have been done. But who plays the wicked witch? Curly??? :p

Charlie74

Familiar Face
I would love to see a movie version of "Wicked". For those not familiar with the story, Dorothy is just a mention. Hollywood continues to make musicals that no one goes to see. No one seems to get it that folks who pay big bucks to see plays, do not go to the moives and that the movie audiences have no interest at all in musicals

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
I find it utterly hilarious when folks get their undies in a wad over something as silly as the idea of a remake of a film. Hollywood has been remaking it's self from the time of its inception. There are so many stories that have been remade, and the Wizard of Oz is not the first or shall it be the last. Many stories that are thought of as original any more are just cobbled together from pieces of other stories to tell a new one. I finally got around to watching Eragon and I see so many elements of The Lord of the Rings in it, but it was entertaining nonetheless.
Sweeney Todd has been remade five times since 1936, and even Alfred Hitchcock remade one of his own movies, The Man Who Knew Too Much. Philladelphia Story & High Society, A Christmas Carol, one that seems to be remade every decade in one form or another (60 at last count). Brewster's Millions, over the past 90 years has been remade at least five times. How many versions of The shop Around the Corners have there been done? At least three that I know of, and there is something to enjoy in all of them. So even our beloved classics are remakes. Go figure. How Many time can Sherlock Holmes be remade?(with 75 actors playing the part in more than 211 films)
Yeah, Hollywood doesn't do anything original anymore, I agree with you on that one for sure. But honestly, have they really ever done anything truly original? All they've done is rehash stories from books, plays and other movies since the beginning. It is always one persons idea or interpretation of a story and thinking that they can possibly tell it better than the last chuckle head did. I mean, how many times has the Titanic tragedy been put to film? It just doesn't make sense to not try at all, otherwise the industry would grind to a halt. There really isn't anything new out there. I know I can't think up a new original story without it sounding like something that I've read or watched before. And if anyone can, why aren't they submitting those stories, huh? I for one look forward to a remake of the classic story. Heck, there are several films out there that are considered classics that I would love to see remade. I'm liking the idea of a remade Thin Man, it may prove interesting. I wouldn even mind seeing a remake of Battleground or even The Guns of Navarone as well as Bell, Book and Candle. Just to mix things up.
So, I'm just curious as to why folks have to get all worked up about remakes? Basically the target audience hasn't seen the half dozen other remakes, why not this one? It makes no sense to me. Can someone adequately explain to me the aversion to remakes when Hollywood has been churning them out for over 90 years?

So many of our films have been remade several times over: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_film_remakes I see no reason to remake this one.

Cheers!

Dan

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo