Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The wrist watch.

DanielPetmr

New in Town
Ok, what is the watch most here prefer? For the die hard purests of the 30's and 40's do you wear vintage time pieces? Or do you go with a battery powered modern look-alike?

I have seen a very strong 30's and 40's style revival in men's watches. However they are quite a bit larger in size then the originals. Today I guess men must feel that they have to strap on a school wall clock to their wrists to feel masculine.

I have a few nice wrist watches in my collection. I have to be careful to just have a few of these lovely guys seeing there is another whole world of collecting I could be consumed in!

I have one 1940 Bulova 15 jewel, a 1936 Bulova 14 Jewel and a 1933 Elgin 7 jewel. They keep very good time and if wound up right, could last almost two days long.

If you are one who wants to dress 100% vintage, a classic wrist or pocket watch is a must! Or, if you're just some one who loves good looking watches, they make great conversation pieces AC repair in Cedar Park.

I'll post some photos of my watches soon, in the mean time, lets see some or hear about some of them.

Cheers,

Root.
As watch preferences vary among enthusiasts, there isn't a one-size-fits-all answer. Some may prefer wearing vintage timepieces for their historical significance and unique character, while others may opt for modern watches that emulate the style of classic designs but offer the convenience of battery-powered movements and contemporary features.

The resurgence of 30's and 40's style in men's watches has indeed been notable, with many modern brands offering larger-sized timepieces that capture the essence of vintage designs. While some may view these larger sizes as a reflection of modern masculinity, others appreciate the bold aesthetic statement they make on the wrist.

Your collection of vintage Bulova and Elgin watches sounds impressive, each with its own story and charm. Indeed, classic wrist or pocket watches can add a touch of vintage elegance to any outfit and serve as captivating conversation pieces.

Feel free to share photos of your watches when you're ready! It's always fascinating to see the timepieces that enthusiasts cherish and collect.

milandro

A-List Customer
I am not sure that watches in the '30 and '40 were at all large (in general) , in fact , one of the thing that I don't like about vintage watches is that they look very small on my rather large wrist.

I have a '50 Omega , unusually large for the times, because it was the first watch which my father bought with his own money after the war and I treasure it. It has been worn well and has almost no visible wear.

Wearing vintage watches is probably part of wearing vintage clothes too. I am not into that either.

Very rarely have vintage watches stood the passing of time without bearing scars and I, personally, don't like that.

I think that, if one likes a vintage attire, there are plenty of modern watches to suit that look.

I don't like quartz movements but if one does they are more precise than most mechanical movements .

Who me?

New in Town
IMG_3909.jpeg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner