Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

These guys never cease to amaze me

nick123

I'll Lock Up
A question popped into my mind when I look at the composition of the knit which are Acrylic and Wool. Normally for a repro maker who went so far as to reproduce the Hookless zipped will try to use pure wool but do you people find it unacceptable in this case?

In my limited experience, I don't find pure wool to be significantly superior to any combination. It's always struck me as odd that wool seems to be so revered. Maybe I haven't worn my jackets enough to understand the long term benefits regarding wool's durability, but quite honestly, some of the combination knitted jackets I've owned have felt just as comfortable and natural or perhaps even better than pure wool.
If I look closely, I can see how the wool knits exude a higher quality look. But that could be my mind playing tricks on me.

Last edited:

Big J

Call Me a Cab
In my limited experience, I don't find pure wool to be significantly superior to any combination. It's always struck me as odd that wool seems to be so revered. Maybe I haven't worn my jackets enough to understand the long term benefits regarding wool's durability, but quite honestly, some of the combination knitted jackets I've owned have felt just as comfortable and natural or perhaps even better than pure wool.
If I look closely, I can see how the wool knits exude a higher quality look. But that could be my mind playing tricks on me.

I don't think wool last longer or anything. I like wool knits on my flight jackets because they stretch out and form proper period correct shapes.

nick123

I'll Lock Up
I don't think wool last longer or anything. I like wool knits on my flight jackets because they stretch out and form proper period correct shapes.

That's interesting. So wool knits will actually kind of mold to shape? I have noticed them stretch out, but the molding part sounds like a positive.

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
A question popped into my mind when I look at the composition of the knit which are Acrylic and Wool. Normally for a repro maker who went so far as to reproduce the Hookless zipped will try to use pure wool but do you people find it unacceptable in this case?

Although the Hookless zipper is also inaccurate, having been out of production for several years by the time the separable bottomed zipper was even invented.

Blackadder

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Although the Hookless zipper is also inaccurate, having been out of production for several years by the time the separable bottomed zipper was even invented.

Yes, thanks again for bringing that to those who haven't had a chance to read the zipper thread. And that's basically my question. I am looking at the jacket and thinking how hard the maker/designer tried to have all the parts periodic correct then to see these minor mistakes. What prompted me to think about this issue is McCoy's recently released a new L-2A with Nylon 66 and that seems to be a major selling point and yet the Nylon 66 though tougher is not really a superior clothing material as far as I know.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grateful Fred