Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

They lost his trousers....

Barry

Practically Family
Roy L. Pearson Jr.'s Lawsuit

From the dcist...

"Pearson alleges Custom Cleaners in Northeast lost his trousers back in 2005. He filed a lawsuit seeking damages and claiming the city's consumer protection laws were violated. The cleaners said they gave the him the proper pants, but offered the judge a $12,000 settlement anyway. He refused and pressed on with the case, which Chris Manning, attorney for Custom Cleaners, calls, "possibly the most amazing example of frivolous and ridiculous litigation."

The Judge wants $67 million....

jake_fink

Call Me a Cab
Oops.

Imagine the brouhaha if they'd given him the wrong trousers!

trousers203_203x152.jpg

Barry

Practically Family
The Trial... From Fox News

From Fox News:

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,281473,00.html

"Pearson, who represented himself, proceeded to call some eight witnesses that included his 38-year-old son and some members of the community who had had bad experiences with Custom Dry Cleaners, including an 89-year-old woman in a wheelchair who drifted at times into her service in the Kennedy-Johnson administration.

This witness, Dr. Grace Hewell, was certainly entertaining when she noted that she was "chased" out of the store by Mr. Chung, which she then slid into comparing to "surviving the Nazis" while she was stationed in Germany in World War II."

"When Pearson testified as himself — a narrative that lasted for more than an hour — he broke down and cried and asked for a recess. The breakdown occurred right after he described being told that the Chungs "did not have his pants" that he so desperately needed to start his new job as a judge in 2005."

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
Crying Plaintiff Loses his Pants Suit

From today's Wall Street Journal:

In a case spotlighted as a symbol of litigiousness in America, a court ruled in favor of a dry-cleaning shop that was sued for $54 million over a pair of missing pants.

Roy Pearson, an administrative law judge in Washington, D.C., sued the owners of Custom Cleaners in 2005, alleging that the local store had lost a pair of suit pants he had brought in for alterations.​

From the WSJ blog:

The D.C. judge who sued his dry cleaners for $65 million in damages broke down in tears yesterday while testifying about the emotional pain of losing his suit pants.

A trial began pitting Roy Pearson, an administrative law judge, against Custom Dry Cleaners and the store’s owners, Jin and Soo Chung. The courtroom was packed with members of the Korean Dry Cleaners Association and reporters from at least five countries, according to the WaPo’s Marc Fisher, whose column in April first turned us on to this case. (For prior Law Blog coverage, click here, here and here.)

“Never before in recorded history have a group of defendants engaged in such misleading and unfair business practices,” Pearson said in his opening. “You will search the D.C. archives in vain for a case of more egregious or willful conduct,” he said later.

Quick backstory: Pearson brought five suits in for alterations because he needed the pants let out. One of the suits came back without pants. Pearson sued under the city’s consumer protection law. He got to his $65 million damages claim, which he lowered last week to $54 million, through a formula that penalized the cleaners $18,000 for each day a “Satisfaction Guaranteed” sign hung from the store.

Pearson said he had no choice but to take on “the awesome responsibility” of suing the Chungs on behalf of every D.C. resident, reported the WaPo. Pearson kept referring to himself as “we.” Said Judge Judith Bartnoff: “Mr. Pearson, you are not a ‘we.’ You are an ‘I.’”

One of Pearson’s witnesses said the Chungs weren’t so warm and fuzzy. A woman who had complained about her cleaning said Mr. Chung chased her out of the store. “At 89, I’m not ready to be chased,” she said. “But I was in World War II as a WAC, so I think I can take care of myself. Having lived in Germany and knowing the people who were victims of the Nazis, I thought he was going to beat me up. I thought of what Hitler had done to thousands of Jews.”

The cleaner’s lawyer, Christopher Manning, described Pearson as embittered, having emerged from recent divorce with financial problems and having held a grudge against the cleaners from a prior run-in. When did Pearson cry? Here, as described by the WaPo:

. . . but as he came to the part about when Soo Chung finally told him she had found the missing pants, the tale of the $10.50 alteration that went awry proved to be too much.

“These are not my pants,” Pearson recalled telling Chung when she handed him a pair of gray pants with cuffs. “I have in my adult life, with one exception, never worn pants with cuffs.”

“And she said, ‘These are your pants.’ ”

Pearson paused. He struggled to breathe deeply. He could not continue. Pearson blurted a request for a break, stood up, turned around and walked out of the courtroom, tears dripping from his full and reddened eyes.

The trial is expected to end today. Pearson, who is representing himself, has asked for attorney‚Äôs fees at a rate between $390 and $425 an hour.​

K.D. Lightner

Call Me a Cab
Glad the judge threw it out, this has to be one of the worst cases of stupid lawsuits in our over-litiginous society, right up there with the $4 million won by the lady who spilled McDonald's over-hot coffee.

karol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PerryShaw