Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

They're messin' with my Snake! (Plissken, that is.)

jake_fink

Call Me a Cab
This is the worst news I've ever read. One of my favourite films ever, the one I was watching fifteen times while you guys were watching Raiders of the Lost Ark, is being remade.

That's the bad news. The pass-me-the-rope news is that Gerald Butler, the shouty mannequin from that poop-in-my-brain-pan Spartans movie, 300, is to play Snake Plissken.

NNNNOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Don't believe me. Well look here:

http://www.variety.com/article/VR1117961020.html?categoryid=13&cs=1

Hollywood has finally ruined every kind memory I have of anything it has ever produced.

Saw this at the Sat matinee when it came out and I sat through it twice and then went to see it again a week later. I caught it a few years back and thought it really held up well. I remember my friend having the board game!

Again, they went and remade Casablanca with David Soul (?!) so anything is fair game. But if they try to remake 'Stop or My Mom Will Shoot', then you can sign me up for that petition.

MrBern

I'll Lock Up
What???
I distinctly recall being in highschool & arguing w/ my buddies if we should see Escape before we see Raiders.
One of the great post apoc movies of the `80s.

Incidentally, Has the Warriors remake filmed yet?

And Feraud...there is a MadMaxRoadwarrior sequel in th works. The original director/writer got teh rights back. But its taken so long to orchestrate...MelGibson feels too old to film it....:(

jake_fink

Call Me a Cab
MrBern said:
What???
I distinctly recall being in highschool & arguing w/ my buddies if we should see Escape before we see Raiders.
One of the great post apoc movies of the `80s.

Incidentally, Has the Warriors remake filmed yet?

And Feraud...there is a MadMaxRoadwarrior sequel in th works. The original director/writer got teh rights back. But its taken so long to orchestrate...MelGibson feels too old to film it....:(

George Miller's next Max movie is said to likely be a relaunch with a new Max. That's good, because as aging blocks of wood go, even more than Harrison Ford, Mel Gibson has lost that 80s Mad Max magic.

I don't know about the Warriors film, but have you played the video game?

Dr Doran

My Mail is Forwarded Here
MudInYerEye said:
John Carpenter wrecked THE THING so I guess it's a karmic thing. Big deal.

He wrecked The Thing? Really? I guess I haven't seen the original. I loved his version when it came out. The effects were awesome for the time. That ending! "What do we do now?" "We wait." As for Escape from New York, I loved it, and my brother used to play the soundrack all the time and so I know all the songs by heart ("Rob a bank... take a truck ... you can get there by stealing a bum ... so rejoice ... pop a cork ... and you'll spend your vacation in New York!") but if you see it again, the low production values are apparent. It was Adrienne Barbeau's best role until "Carnivale." Who knows, maybe they'll make it better (I know, I know ... how often has that happened?) And I still think Kurt Russell was better in his Disney epics like The Computer Who Wore Tennis Shoes and The Strongest Man in the World and Now You See Him, Now You Don't.

MrBern

I'll Lock Up
I saw an interview where Tarantino credited Carpenter's The Thing as the influence for the paranoia of Reservoir Dogs.

The original TheThing is a classic. The remake isnt bad.
Catn say I thought much of the sequel Escape from LA...

MelGibson was on board for the Max sequel until he hit it really big w/ The Passion. Now he feels he would look too fat as Max. Its a shame but he wasnt bad in Patriot or We Were Soldiers. Tho he has definitely hit a wall & lost his 90s appeal as SexiestManAlive.

Viola

Call Me a Cab
I wouldn't mind if they recast Gibson one bit. It would allow me to sidestep choosing between seeing a sequel of a movie I really liked, and continuing my current plan of never giving ol' Mel another thin dime.

-Viola

Trampilot

Familiar Face
MudInYerEye said:
John Carpenter wrecked THE THING so I guess it's a karmic thing. Big deal.

A bit off topic - but I'd disagree. Whilst it is a million miles away from the original version, Carpenter's version is far closer to the original story "Who Goes There" by John W Campbell Jr. Both films are classics in their own right. Carpenter's is a model horror film production using sound, music, cinematography and of course the special effects to maximum effect. The original is just that - very original for the era but the need for the story to have a clear "monster" rather than using the degradation of trust and a virus in a small community is far more progressive and dare I say intelligent (within the realms of the film - not the audience!!).

Dr Doran

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Trampilot said:
A bit off topic - but I'd disagree. Whilst it is a million miles away from the original version, Carpenter's version is far closer to the original story "Who Goes There" by John W Campbell Jr. Both films are classics in their own right. Carpenter's is a model horror film production using sound, music, cinematography and of course the special effects to maximum effect. The original is just that - very original for the era but the need for the story to have a clear "monster" rather than using the degradation of trust and a virus in a small community is far more progressive and dare I say intelligent (within the realms of the film - not the audience!!).

I loved the Carpenter film. I suppose I will put the original on my queue on Greencine.

Well Jake, I guess it's your turn to mourn like I did for the Halloween remake... :( John Carpenter has officially sold out. It's unfortunate because he's one of my favorite directors.
List of Carpenter remakes:
Assault on Precinct 13 (2005)
The Fog (2005)
Halloween (2007)
The Thing (2009)
Escape From New York (2009)

I predict Big Trouble in Little China for 2011. [huh]

Trampilot

Familiar Face
It is a great shame that some of John Carpenter's classics are now being remade. However a question arises...

... When was the last time he made a really good, and I mean really good film?

In The Mouth Of Madness?

And then before that ... he's lost his way big time ... Perhaps this is his way of realizing his days as a director are numbered so he can only survive off his history.

Having said that I can strongly recommend "Cigarette Burns" from the Masters Of Horror series. Not only is this the best 60 mins he's directed for the last twenty years its very original.

Jovan

Suspended
I don't see how this will "ruin" memories you have. You still have the original movie to watch on DVD, and the fond memories of going to see it when it came out. Nobody is forcing you to see the thing.

All this "HOLLYWOOD SUCKS IS UNORIGINAL AND RUINS MY CHILDHOOD" business is getting a little tiresome, guys. Especially after seeing it in every other forum on the internet.

jake_fink

Call Me a Cab
Someone complained:
I don't see how this will "ruin" memories you have. You still have the original movie to watch on DVD, and the fond memories of going to see it when it came out. Nobody is forcing you to see the thing.

All this "HOLLYWOOD SUCKS IS UNORIGINAL AND RUINS MY CHILDHOOD" business is getting a little tiresome, guys. Especially after seeing it in every other forum on the internet.

Well then I better stop posting such items, as I wouldn't want to tire you.

:kick:

I really just hate this Butler guy and I think he'll be a crap Plissken. Otherwise, I'd be in.

HadleyH

I'll Lock Up
Jovan said:

But respecfully, I think today's HOLLYWOOD SUCKS ...honest I do.... What can I say [huh] :)

Leading Edge

One of the Regulars
Rumpled Fedora said:
Well Jake, I guess it's your turn to mourn like I did for the Halloween remake... :( John Carpenter has officially sold out. It's unfortunate because he's one of my favorite directors.
List of Carpenter remakes:
Assault on Precinct 13 (2005)
The Fog (2005)
Halloween (2007)
The Thing (2009)
Escape From New York (2009)

I predict Big Trouble in Little China for 2011. [huh]
:eek: N o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o! ! ! :eek:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member