Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Things I'll miss when retired

earl

A-List Customer
Now just 3 years from it and aside from the hit I'll take to the paycheck, oddly perhaps I've concluded the only thing I'll miss is the opportunity to wear the suits, sport jackets, ties, topcoats of the sort I've worn for many a decade. Though working in a professional setting, most of my colleagues dress like I do only on the weekends. So, not required to dress the way I do. Had always heard the old line about "now that I'm retired, I will no longer have to wear a coat and tie" and I find myself thinking in the other direction.

Benproof

A-List Customer
Go for it!

I've always wanted to wear dungarees but maybe when I'm retired it will the right time.

I'd like to be continent when I do.

dnjan

One Too Many
Now just 3 years from it and aside from the hit I'll take to the paycheck, oddly perhaps I've concluded the only thing I'll miss is the opportunity to wear the suits, sport jackets, ties, topcoats of the sort I've worn for many a decade. Though working in a professional setting, most of my colleagues dress like I do only on the weekends. So, not required to dress the way I do. Had always heard the old line about "now that I'm retired, I will no longer have to wear a coat and tie" and I find myself thinking in the other direction.
Wear them anyway. I do.
Only real problem I've had is some of the "nice old ladies" that take the shuttle from their retirement home to the grocery store can be almost aggressively chatty when I am in the checkout line with them. ;)

earl

A-List Customer
Wear them anyway. I do.
Only real problem I've had is some of the "nice old ladies" that take the shuttle from their retirement home to the grocery store can be almost aggressively chatty when I am in the checkout line with them. ;)
Tis a thought. My father in-law wore a suit everyday til he died and he never had actually worked in a professional position prior to retiring. Don't see many folks in the local shops wearing such duds at any time around here. Got me to thinking that in this small town where I live the only guy I can recall ever seeing trolling the aisles of the Walmart where I shop in a sport coat has been me whenever I've stopped on the way home from work, though. :p

GHT

I'll Lock Up
Don't see many folks in the local shops wearing such duds at any time around here. Got me to thinking that in this small town where I live the only guy I can recall ever seeing trolling the aisles of the Walmart where I shop in a sport coat has been me.
It's not exclusive to small town Kansas, dressing down is the norm across the globe. You want to wear what you like? Then wear it, and wear it with confidence. My supermarket and it's staff and patrons, had never seen spectator shoes, fedora hats, aloha shirts before I retired, they do now.
What I missed about working was work. Silly though that sounds, but I found that working freelance just on the odd day or two, gives me the purpose that I missed. My pension gives me enough to live comfortably, thankfully I have no mortgage or any other debt and I have savings in the bank, so I'm not at the beck and call of the alarm clock. Therefore, cherry picking the work that I want to do, makes it or the more enjoyable.
For those who really enjoy work, I think retirement would be better if it was phased in, like reducing your hours, bit by bit. I did find it really tough,on the other hand, I do hope HoosierDaddy comes on to comment, because he relishes retirement and can give you the benefit of his experience.

Last edited:
I'm not retired, but I started working for myself from home 4 years ago and found that it is not so much that I miss wearing suits and ties, but that, literally, on most days (away from when I have a meeting to go to), I have no reason to get dressed other than for myself. I've defaulted into a "uniform" of jeans, chinos or cords, an oxford cloth button down shirt and (when cold enough) sweater or sweatshirt - pretty boring. I know others who do what I do still put on a suit and tie everyday, but that just wouldn't work for me.

The other thing I miss is the social interaction - talking about last night's game or TV show with my office friends, forming friendships with co-workers, etc. - but, then, I don't have any of the office politics, backstabbing and other unpleasant stuff like that - it's all tradeoffs.

Last edited:

earl

A-List Customer
I'm not retired, but I started working for myself from home 4 years ago and found that it is not so much that I miss wearing suits and ties, but that, literally, on most days (away from when I have a meeting to go to), I have no reason to get dressed other than for myself. I've defaulted into a "uniform" of jeans, chinos or cords, an oxford cloth button down shirt and (when cold enough) sweater or sweatshirt - pretty boring. I know others who do what do still put on a suit and tie everyday, but that just wouldn't work for me.

The other thing I miss is the social interaction - talking about last night's game or TV show with my office friends, forming friendships with co-workers, etc. - but, then, I don't have any of the office politics, backstabbing and other unpleasant stuff like that - it's all tradeoffs.
I will miss some social interaction, though can't really say co-workers are friends per se. Do anticipate some boredom and will need to get more active in enjoyable pass times. May miss the intellectual challenge of my work but the stress level will be so much lower.:) I'll like answering only to myself-well that and my wife.:)

I will miss some social interaction, though can't really say co-workers are friends per se. Do anticipate some boredom and will need to get more active in enjoyable pass times. May miss the intellectual challenge of my work but the stress level will be so much lower.:) I'll like answering only to myself-well that and my wife.:)

From observing, very closely, my mother and my girlfriend's parents retire, my unsolicited advice is that you are thinking the right way in that you need to find activities and interests to keep you both busy and intellectually challenged and engaged. My girlfriend's parents do a much better job of this than my mom and they seem to have a much better outlook and day to day. I wish you the best of luck.

APP Adrian

A-List Customer
I'm not retired, but I started working for myself from home 4 years ago and found that it is not so much that I miss wearing suits and ties, but that, literally, on most days (away from when I have a meeting to go to), I have no reason to get dressed other than for myself. I've defaulted into a "uniform" of jeans, chinos or cords, an oxford cloth button down shirt and (when cold enough) sweater or sweatshirt - pretty boring. I know others who do what do still put on a suit and tie everyday, but that just wouldn't work for me.

I'm only 20 and I'm already living like a retired person =/.

I feel so old.

ChiTownScion

Call Me a Cab
There is no word I find more horrifying than "retirement." I'd rather die.

Personally, I love it. Key for me is staying active. Lodge activities, reading, and keeping current with professional developments. This month, for example, I'm judging a national trial competition among law students. Plenty of time for leisure, of course... although as my wife is still working I don't travel as much as I'd like.

And I'll admit, financially I have an almost unheard- of advantage: a decent public pension that is protected by state constitution that includes an annual 3% cost of living raise. As far as take home income, I'm doing better now than when I was working. The only "outrage" that I harbor over any of this is that which I enjoy isn't available to everyone. It should be. I don't take it for granted, certainly, but I'll be damned if I'll feel guilty for enjoying what I spent a lifetime to earn.. no matter how fortunate I was in being able to earn it.

All that said, I do respect co-workers who vow that they'll never- ever- retire. To them it's a death sentence. I respect their view.. and I realize that as long as they're working, they're also supporting the annuity that we retirees draw on. One friend in particular: ten years my senior, 40- plus years on the job, and they'll carry him out feet first to get rid of him. I only wish that he'd learn to take a decent vacation or two, enjoy life, and learn to appreciate that we are a lot more in this life than our job descriptions.

Last edited:

Atticus Finch

Call Me a Cab
I retired two and a half months ago. I no longer wear suits, ties, jewlery, a watch or polished shoes. What clothes I put on in the morning, I wear all day. I no longer have to change clothes to mow the grass, change the oil in a vehicle, go out in the boat, repair the hot water heater or whatever else is on my low-stress schedule. Jeans and an old rugby shirt covers it all. I no longer have a $150.00+ per month laundry bill. Everything I wear fits nicely in my washing machine. I no longer care if Brooks Brothers or Joesph Bank is having a sale. I only care a little bit if Target has a sale on Levis or if Dicks Sporting Goods is selling cheap tennis shoes.

ChiTownScion

Call Me a Cab
I retired two and a half months ago. I no longer wear suits, ties, jewlery, a watch or polished shoes. What clothes I put on in the morning, I wear all day. I no longer have to change clothes to mow the grass, change the oil in a vehicle, go out in the boat, repair the hot water heater or whatever else is on my low-stress schedule. Jeans and an old rugby shirt covers it all. I no longer have a $150.00+ per month laundry bill. Everything I wear fits nicely in my washing machine. I no longer care if Brooks Brothers or Joesph Bank is having a sale. I only care a little bit if Target has a sale on Levis or if Dicks Sporting Goods is selling cheap tennis shoes.

Became much more into clothes as I grew older. Harder to get my wife to agree to a new suit these days- but I still like dressing up. Mainly for lodge, but other occasions as well. But you're right about staying dressed in grubs when nothing's on the agenda. Part of it might be inertia, but being casual is its own pleasure.

KILO NOVEMBER

One Too Many
I was "retired" for 16 months over 2013 and 2014. That is to say, I couldn't find a job. At the time, I was in my late 50's. If anyone is skeptical of "age discrimination", take my data point as counter evidence.

I was never bored during that time, never depressed, never discouraged. I did miss paychecks, though. Once retired, the money only goes out, not a happy prospect.

Dan Allen

A-List Customer
Sadly I miss the 15 minute breaks and hour off for lunch....I seem to be working more since retiring. ( maybe that is really a good thing ).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21