Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Third Reich leatherwear

P5640blouson

One of the Regulars
It is interesting and believable that much of the equipments of WWII are stashed at many places in Europe. As such I wouldn't doubt that these items are continuing to surface at big sums for the offering. What is also interesting is that design elements continue to be used in modern clothing and repros that either get some or none of the original details.

Are there any experts here who can speak to the markings found on the zippers and the overall garment? It is interesting to say the least.
Pic borrowed for education purpose only.
bm707-01.jpg

ron521

One of the Regulars
I would expect that abbreviation stands for "Deutsches Reichspatent", (German Patent), and not "Deutsche Reichspartei", (German Empire Party).

http://acronyms.thefreedictionary.com/DRP

I'd bet that many German garments manufactured before and after the war have a similar abbreviation.

I agree that it is an interesting garment, even handsome. Schott made a similar "long Perfecto" in 1993 or so.

johnnyjohnny

Practically Family
prim and ri ri proper

howdy...i just know from being such a luftwaffe jacket maniac that prim and ri ri were the zip and snap makers for the actual jackets made in germany and purchased by the luftwaffe pilots during ww2...i know the replicators (from so so to the superb like eastman) use these zips and snaps in the current day replications of those jackets

other than that, 'i know nuzzing'

crazydaisy

Practically Family
some amazing jackets and particularly coats of the type have appeared on ebay UK lately, i keep eying one or the other for my hubby, but a lot of other people do too, so they don't sell cheap :) .

flat6

New in Town
War Trophies

I have friend who is a big collector of anything WW2. It is amazing what he has found state side that was "liberated" by GIs then shipped home. I am sure this same practice was executed by the russian army to a even greater extent do to the failure of communism to produce consumer goods for their own people. To the victor go the spoils

Hawkmoon

New in Town
Hi all,

Ron, your suspicion is indeed correct. Current Ri-Ri zippers do not carry the D.R.P marks at all. Not sure when they stopped using such markings. I would imagine that they probably 'dropped' their use soon after the war or when the paptent period lapsed (typically, 25 years, or so I have been told by patent attorneys). I cannot remember if the Ri-Ri markings still do appear on the 'bridge' part of the zipper these days or not. Then there is the design of the zipper 'pull' itself....

Prym, much like Ri-Ri is still around these days, except that there snaps (or, at least, as far as I have been able to ascertain) are not marked in that fashion these days. Current production all seem to be marked "Original Prym [size number]."

Having said that, there are some (or, at least, one known) manufacturers of reproduction militaria who have managed to either manufacture or acquire a number of Prym snaps that are marked in the correct period 'type' of markings as shown in the picture above. Catch is.....that the size numbers (i.e. in this case '4') are marked with the incorrect font. I've seen this myself with the 'Prym 6' snaps.

As for the manufacturer? I don't know. I haven't had to research into that manufacturer....yet, so I can't really add anything in that regard.

What does all of this boil down to you ask? Well, in my opinion, this jacket is indeed 'period correct' (as far as I can tell right now - without inspecting it in person). What does that mean? Well, it means that it has the correct hardware as was used during the war and was manufactured by a German-speaking, if not, German-based company, somewhere in the world.

There must of been thousands of leather jackets that were made with these brands of zippers and snaps during the thirties and fourties. This doesn't mean that Adolf Galland himself owned this jacket, nor does it mean that it just came out of a sweat shop somwhere in Asia. What it means was that someone in europe during that period of time most probably saved up some money for a swish looking leather jacket and then bought one. It was probably hung in 'ole grandad's warddrobe and was left there till recently.

As a matter of fact, I was looking that this jacket on the same day that the original post was made. The only thing that made me turn away was the price.

The only other thing left to determine/decide is the jacket's intended purpose. It's not really the kind of style that would appear to have been favoured by any one part of the military service over the other (i.e. does not look like the kind of jacket that would have been worn around sea water or in the tight confines of an aircraft).

As I said before, This doesn't mean that Adolf Galland himself owned this jacket, nor does it mean that it just came out of a sweat shop somwhere in Asia. What it means was that someone in europe during that period of time most probably saved up some money for a swish looking leather jacket and then bought one. It was probably hung in 'ole grandad's warddrobe and was left there till recently.

It is simply 'period correct'.

Will

Hawkmoon

New in Town
Jackets

Hi all,

Ron, your suspicion is indeed correct. Current Ri-Ri zippers do not carry the D.R.P marks at all. Not sure when they stopped using such markings. I would imagine that they probably 'dropped' their use soon after the war or when the paptent period lapsed (typically, 25 years, or so I have been told by patent attorneys). I cannot remember if the Ri-Ri markings still do appear on the 'bridge' part of the zipper these days or not. Then there is the design of the zipper 'pull' itself....

Prym, much like Ri-Ri is still around these days, except that there snaps (or, at least, as far as I have been able to ascertain) are not marked in that fashion these days. Current production all seem to be marked "Original Prym [size number]."

Having said that, there are some (or, at least, one known) manufacturers of reproduction militaria who have managed to either manufacture or acquire a number of Prym snaps that are marked in the correct period 'type' of markings as shown in the picture above. Catch is.....that the size numbers (i.e. in this case '4') are marked with the incorrect font. I've seen this myself with the 'Prym 6' snaps.

As for the manufacturer? I don't know. I haven't had to research into that manufacturer....yet, so I can't really add anything in that regard.

What does all of this boil down to you ask? Well, in my opinion, this jacket is indeed 'period correct' (as far as I can tell right now - without inspecting it in person). What does that mean? Well, it means that it has the correct hardware as was used during the war and was manufactured by a German-speaking, if not, German-based company, somewhere in the world.

There must of been thousands of leather jackets that were made with these brands of zippers and snaps during the thirties and fourties. This doesn't mean that Adolf Galland himself owned this jacket, nor does it mean that it just came out of a sweat shop somwhere in Asia. What it means was that someone in europe during that period of time most probably saved up some money for a swish looking leather jacket and then bought one. It was probably hung in 'ole grandad's warddrobe and was left there till recently.

As a matter of fact, I was looking that this jacket on the same day that the original post was made. The only thing that made me turn away was the price.

The only other thing left to determine/decide is the jacket's intended purpose. It's not really the kind of style that would appear to have been favoured by any one part of the military service over the other (i.e. does not look like the kind of jacket that would have been worn around sea water or in the tight confines of an aircraft).

As I said before, This doesn't mean that Adolf Galland himself owned this jacket, nor does it mean that it just came out of a sweat shop somwhere in Asia. What it means was that someone in europe during that period of time most probably saved up some money for a swish looking leather jacket and then bought one. It was probably hung in 'ole grandad's warddrobe and was left there till recently.

It is simply 'period correct'.

Will

denjade

New in Town
Help with my jacket

Hi after reading this thread i can assume that you guys really know your stuff.
This has caused me to reply and ask for your help.
I have a leather jacket that i purchased off a friend about 15 years ago and merely bought it because it was quite striking and i just had to have it.
He told me, and i had seen photo's of his grandfather whom owned it but had since passed and left it to him. He was an officer/soldier (not quite sure)in Germany in WW2.
It is a long 3/4 length black Leather Jacket and has quite unique pockets on the sides that are very deep. the inside pocket is a very funny shape. It looks like it was made to hold a pistol as the shape is exactly the "L" shape of a pistol.
He told me he used to wear it and after the war he had it lined with a removable lining made of fox heads.
If i am posting this in the wrong Thread could you please direct me to the right one.
This really means alot to me and would like to have a more experienced opinion on it.
Thanks.
Den.

2276714270106103396S500x500Q85.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
2365380330106103396S500x500Q85.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jessmiller97