Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

This or That: Eastman or Rainbow Country

D

Deleted member 16736

Thanks for the link. At those prices, I'll wear a cloth jacket. I've grown tired of obsessing over $1300 jackets. I need to find more affordable clothing.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
Hmm, I can afford one but won't pay that amount. As I've said before I've had as much pleasure from my Schott and G&B's as I've had from the big names.

thor

Call Me a Cab
From the 1937 Sears Catalog

From "The People History": How Much things cost in 1937: Average Cost of new house $4,100.00. Average wages per year $1,780.00. Cost of a gallon of Gas 10 cents. Average Cost for house rent $26.00 per month. A loaf of Bread 9 cents. A LB of Hamburger Meat 12 cents. Average Price for new car $760.00. Toothpaste 35 cents.
Below are some Prices for UK guides in Pounds Sterling
Average House Price 540.

Looking at comparative costs of other everyday expenses, it's interesting to see where product values increased or decreased over time. It's "apples to oranges" as they say, but if toothpaste was still 3.5 times more expensive then gasoline, we'd be paying about $12 for a tube of Colgate here in the States.
Using the 1937 gasoline scale of economics, that $8.98 leather jacket would cost $315 today.

Some product costs have jumped exponentially since then, others have drastically declined. I'm no economics expert (far from it!) but I find this sliding scale of cost/expense interesting and am curious about the leather jacket part of it.

Last edited:

dudewuttheheck

I'll Lock Up
From "The People History": How Much things cost in 1937: Average Cost of new house $4,100.00. Average wages per year $1,780.00. Cost of a gallon of Gas 10 cents. Average Cost for house rent $26.00 per month. A loaf of Bread 9 cents. A LB of Hamburger Meat 12 cents. Average Price for new car $760.00. Toothpaste 35 cents.
Average House Price 540.

Looking at comparative costs of other everyday expenses, it's interesting to see where product values increased or decreased over time. It's "apples to oranges" as they say, but if toothpaste was still 3.5 times more expensive then gasoline, we'd be paying about $12 for a tube of Colgate here in the States.
Using the 1937 gasoline scale of economics, that $8.98 leather jacket would cost $315 today.

Some product costs have jumped exponentially since then, others have drastically declined. I'm no economics expert (far from it!) but I find this sliding scale of cost/expense interesting and am curious about the leather jacket part of it.

Very interesting how prices have changed in different ways. One of my favorite examples is how muscle cars like the Plymouth Roadrunner cost in their time the modern equivalent of roughly $15,000. That makes me so upset as a college student. I'd have to pay double that to get a modern equivalent!

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
Average House Price 540.

Of course, back in the 1930s, these were mass produced and sold by Sears. If something like this were produced today, it would be disparaged by most of the people on here as a "mall jacket".

Grayland

Call Me a Cab
Of course, back in the 1930s, these were mass produced and sold by Sears. If something like this were produced today, it would be disparaged by most of the people on here as a "mall jacket".

I'd hate to think that! What a nice looking jacket, although the straps seem very low in relation to where I expect the straps to be located. $8.98!! Wow.

tmitchell59

I'll Lock Up

I love that Herc. Rather have that one . Thanks for all the great resource information. I have gone through all your blog pages, took me several hours. Nothing like it anywhere I can find. Great stuff.

T.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maxraff