Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

This or That

Mont Blanc 'cause I've never owned one and it sounds cool (got a Cross pen and pencil set as a gift back when they were the thing to give college grads).

Related inside-baseball tailoring This of That: pen carried in inside jacket pocket (of suit jacket) or in the little pen pocket some suit jackets have separate from the normal inside pocket or, like my dad did, in the outside lower pocket (he liked being able to just throw it in there)?

Jetsons.

Still have fond memories of the World's Fair in Flushing (1964-65, NOT '39, alas!)

Great Lakes Exposition or Texas Centennial Exposition?
After reading about both, I stand by my decision. Seems like most of what was built for the Great Lakes Exhibition no longer exists, and most of what was built for the Texas show in Dallas does still stand. I dated a girl for 8 years from Dallas and spent a lot of time down there. Great city. That said, I never saw, or don't remember seeing that area. Also, that was almost 30 years ago. [emoji44]

An excerpt from the internet:

The Fair Park Texas Centennial Buildings were designated a National Historic Landmark in 1986.

In October 2010, the National Building Museum in Washington, D.C., opened an exhibition titled Designing Tomorrow: America’s World’s Fairs of the 1930s. This exhibition, which was available for view until September 2011, prominently featured the Texas Centennial Exposition.

vitanola

I'll Lock Up
After reading about both, I stand by my decision. Seems like most of what was built for the Great Lakes Exhibition no longer exists, and most of what was built for the Texas show in Dallas does still stand. I dated a girl for 8 years from Dallas and spent a lot of time down there. Great city. That said, I never saw, or don't remember seeing that area.

An excerpt from the internet:

The Fair Park Texas Centennial Buildings were designated a National Historic Landmark in 1986.

In October 2010, the National Building Museum in Washington, D.C., opened an exhibition titled Designing Tomorrow: America’s World’s Fairs of the 1930s. This exhibition, which was available for view until September 2011, prominently featured the Texas Centennial Exposition.

That exhibit also prominently featured the Great Lakes Exhibition. The two fairs had about the same reach, 6.7 million visitors for Dallas and 7 million for Cleveland, but, as you note, the Cleveland fair was entirely demolished in 1937-8 and the grounds put to other uses.

Shaw.

Miller is a bit syrupy for my taste, though his stuff is iconic.

Harlan and Stanley

Or

Collins and Harlan?

Last edited:
That exhibit also prominently featured the Great Lakes Exhibition. The two fairs had about the same reach, 6.7 million visitors for Dallas and 7 million for Cleveland, but, as you note, the Cleveland fair emwas entirely demolished in 1937-8 and the grounds put to other uses.
Which is a shame. That was a lot of time, money, and effort put forth just to be demolished less than two years later.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou