Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Thom Browne-Say It Ain't So!

MrBern

I'll Lock Up
brooks bros

BTW, isnt Brooks Bros now offering The 1818 Fitzgerald as a sort of conservative alternative to BlackFleece?

Fitzgerald Brushed Bird's-Eye 1818 Suit
Inspired by our archives, the 1818 Fitzgerald suit is distinguished by narrow lapels, higher armholes and trimmer fitting plain-front trousers. It is truly a statement of elegance and refinement. Tailored from pure wool in the USA by Loro Piana®. 2 button. Center vent. Dry clean only. Made in the USA..

http://www.brooksbrothers.com/IWCatProductPage.process?Merchant_Id=1&Section_Id=575&Product_Id=1378515&Parent_Id=418

296K_BROWN

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
I've just come back from Milan. Happily, the extreme Brownesque fashions on its runways have not made their mark on the average Milanese male. On the streets, I saw an overwhelming abundance of good taste, as typified by the Italian gentleman below.

coche127.jpg

Absinthe_1900 said:
Wrong Oz character, he should be singing the Strawman's song.

Then we could also quote the Strawman and change one word for our situation then?
Original:
“Some people without brains do an awful lot of talking. Of course, I'm not bright about doing things.”

Apropos:
“Some people without brains do an awful lot of designing. Of course, I'm not bright about doing things.”

;) :p

NewVintage

New in Town
Sefton said:
That Brooks Bros suit looks like the one that Capt. Kirk is wearing in your avatar MrBern. The real reason that the Enterprise went back in time...to get some killer suits.
heehee, that made me laugh. i'm reminded of the bad future-suits some of the pompous side-charactars wore in the show. no wonder they wanted 60's suits. :eusa_doh:

arnedarvin.jpg

292px-Nilz_Baris.jpg

btw, hi all

Mr. 'H'

Call Me a Cab
Marc Chevalier said:
An interesting side note: Tom Ford (that "other" Tom) is making suits that are rather '30s at the top ... and rather '70s at the bottom. He's essentially nailed the lapels, shoulders, chest, sleeves, jacket waist and hem ... but the trousers are low rise and tight at the thighs.

Marc Chevalier said:
... but the trousers are low rise and tight at the thighs.

A real peeve of mine - I can hardly pull some trousers and jeans up over my thighs....

MrBern

I'll Lock Up
from Fashion Week in NYC

FYI,
Thom Browne noted as best received at FashWeek?
Gee, I thought this thread had him packing it in????

http://themoment.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/09/21/scorecard-mens-edition-thom-browne-wins/

“Shorn of the ceremony and shown simply in his TriBeCa shop, Browne’s clothes felt refreshed, confident and as upbeat as the soundtrack of Beatles songs.”
- (Men.Style.com)

in his collection, there were fine pieces, especially a new loose, round-shouldered jacket, in contrast to his signature shrunken tailoring.”
- (International Herald Tribune)

MrBern

I'll Lock Up
Well th runway show is just as kooky as it ever was.
Nothing anyone here would wear

http://www.nytimes.com/packages/html/style/fashionweek/runway.html#/spring_2010_thom_browne/slide_show

besides:
“Perhaps it’s a credit to Browne that after the past several years of smashing taboos — first with the exposed ankles and the shrunken suits, then the more extreme proportions, the femininity, the straitlaced perversity and the fascist conformity — these tropes failed to shock or amuse this time around.”

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
I'd wear the Pee-Wee outfits long before I got into this nonsense. Fat Albert characters seem to be his new inspiration.
W_donald.jpg

MrBern

I'll Lock Up
"cute"

FYI

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/09/14/fashion/14MEN.html

His show on Sunday offered a strange new silhouette for men, with loose, swinging trousers cropped high at the calf and rounded balmacaan shoulders on jackets and coats. The collection, as usual, was so full of intentionally bizarre get-ups — scuba skorts and a halter-top jumpsuit, for example — that it would have been easy to overlook a throwaway tattered gray suit that bore holes and crude stitches, as if it had been worn by a hobo; or, get this, a pair of sweat pants. They were cute, too.

Was it a send-off or send-up? Mr. Browne, who has been banged around in the press for selling $4,000 suits in a recession, was probably just being sly.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo