Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Thom Browne-Say It Ain't So!

MrBern

I'll Lock Up
3883064689_bde8f9e8d3.jpg

what a short jacket, gee is Don wearing a thom browne?

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
^^

Don't know, but the suit jacket he wore last episode (when meeting with Hilton) was terribly cut.

Orgetorix

Call Me a Cab
I don't know why folks make such a big deal about Browne. His stuff is outlandish, sure--but he's a fashion designer. That's what they do. I don't recall seeing anyone on the FL in a tizzy about Prada, who a couple of years ago sent their models down the runway wearing taxidermy. (I think it was Prada. Not sure.)

Creeping Past

One Too Many
Yes, Orgetorix. I'm firmly in the nod approvingly or tut and move on camp when it comes to fashion designers... otherwise you honour them with having made you think.

There are many worse offences against men's clothing than this chap's garments, and the worst offences are perpetrated by 90%+ of producers and retailers: the low (and getting lower) jacket armhole, the shoe with the z-grade plastic sole, the rustling fibres of 'sportswear', etc. Clothes with no warmth (actual or emotional) and no style.

MrBern

I'll Lock Up
Orgetorix said:
I don't know why folks make such a big deal about Browne. His stuff is outlandish, sure--but he's a fashion designer. That's what they do. I don't recall seeing anyone on the FL in a tizzy about Prada, who a couple of years ago sent their models down the runway wearing taxidermy. (I think it was Prada. Not sure.)

Not only that, the his BlackFleece line for BrooksBrothers is often very classic 60s Madison Ave:

http://www.brooksbrothers.com/IWCatSectionView.process?IWAction=Load&Merchant_Id=1&Section_Id=717

Click this BlackFleece shot & compare it to the previously posted shot of DonDraper.
45AK_MID-GREY

nulty

One of the Regulars
not that I give 2 shakes what a guy chooses to wear..it's his time to waste but you gotta wonder if those models asked if they could please wear those bags on their heads...

Gene

Practically Family
Being a former full-fledged follower of the early 60's Mod style, I have to say the only thing I hate are the legs that are too short. I always thought the top of your trousers should hit the very top of the tongue of your shoe.

I can't say I hate tight trousers, very cool men wore them. Namely, The Kinks:

kinks-roof.jpg

and The Who:

TheWHo.jpg

I still love classic Mod style. Sue me!

Gene

MrBern

I'll Lock Up
Slimmer than ThomBrowne????

Interview with JanieBryant

http://www.gq.com/style/blogs/the-gq-eye/2009/10/method-to-the-madness.html

Actually the lapel doesnt look like the ones Draper has been wearing lately
madmen1_h.jpg

Tell us about this new suit that's hitting the racks here.
The Mad Men suit is a two-button suit with side vents, in a slimmer fit than you usually get at Brooks Brothers. It also has diagonal pockets, a style favored by Don Draper—I do those a lot for the suits I design for him. It's very modern, but I must say that the rise of the trouser is shorter. It's not like a circa-1960, eleven-inch zipper.

MrBern

I'll Lock Up
I like this quote
I just got a flash of a recent scene where Don comes in from the backyard with a crisp white T-shirt tucked into a pair of high-rise pants.
I think for the younger generation, you're so used to wearing your trousers so much lower. The days of the high-rise trouser might be gone for men—but I love it! I love it. When I do fittings for the guys, they're always so surprised by how long all the zippers are. I always tell them, "You have to wear your trousers above your belly button," and they always feel very uncomfortable. And I'm saying, "But your legs look so long!"

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
I would choose Ford over Browne any day of the week, and twice on Sunday..........

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy