Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Thurston Italian Vicenza Horsehide Full Grain Veg.-Tanned Horsehide for Aero Jackets

Any with zip sleeves? It's a feature on my Bootlegger that I'm glad that I added. The sleeves are slimmer with the zips and kind of adds a slightly more MC flavor to what I consider a much less hardcore jacket than the normal MC example.
HD
My bootlegger is modeled very much like yours HD. Zip sleeves and I added zips to the hand warmers that close toward the hem. CXL Cordovan Steer. I've always admired the fit of your jacket. Ordered 10/8....still anxiously waiting....

RMF308

One of the Regulars
My bootlegger is modeled very much like yours HD. Zip sleeves and I added zips to the hand warmers that close toward the hem. CXL Cordovan Steer. I've always admired the fit of your jacket. Ordered 10/8....still anxiously waiting....

I have a Premier Bootlogger with zip sleeves as well. I think it gives the style a much more motorcycle jacket vibe and it makes the sleeves very sleek and narrow. Mine is Brown FQHH (extra dark requested) with brass zippers, and weathered green lightweight wool. Carrie posted some pics of the jacket a few weeks ago at:

Post #2794
http://www.thefedoralounge.com/thre...bros-official-affiliate-thread.70770/page-140

I have a Premier Bootlogger with zip sleeves as well. I think it gives the style a much more motorcycle jacket vibe and it makes the sleeves very sleek and narrow. Mine is Brown FQHH (extra dark requested) with brass zippers, and weathered green lightweight wool. Carrie posted some pics of the jacket a few weeks ago at:

Post #2794
http://www.thefedoralounge.com/thre...bros-official-affiliate-thread.70770/page-140
RMF. That is an absolute beauty. I'm dying to see my jacket posted in the TB thread. Not many mods but I think (hope) I've finally found my Aero!

RMF308

One of the Regulars
Thanks very much! I'm quite happy with it. The Premier slim fit version fits my body perfectly although I'm pretty narrow at 5-11, 165pds, and a 39 chest. Carrie suggested a size 40 with a little extra length in the arms. Other than the zip sleeves, the only other options on this one is an inside button pocket, and an additional inch added to each side cinch straps.

Last edited:

Carrie @ Thurston Bros.

Sponsoring Affiliate
Thanks very much! I'm quite happy with it. The Premier slim fit version fits my body perfectly although I'm pretty narrow at 5-11, 165pds, and a 39 chest. Carries suggested a size 40 with a little extra length in the arms. Other than the zip sleeves, the only other options on this one is an inside button pocket, and an additional inch added to each side cinch straps.

Enjoy the jacket...the Premier Bootlegger is a favorite of ours! Think about a Vicenza Premier Bootlegger for your next jacket :)

Vicenza Bootlegger.jpg

ChiTownScion

Call Me a Cab
The A-2s coming through have been stunning...the Vicenza is just about the perfect A-2 leather!

Some might say that it's almost too perfect.

We're having this discussion in another thread, authenticity vs. pure fashion aesthetics. The Vicenza leather is definitely NOT what a jacket thrown by a quartermaster sergeant to an aviation candidate in 1942 would have boasted. There was a war on, after all.

But in saying that, I think that it's a testament to the timeless design of the A-2 jacket itself that in whatever camp you see yourself (fashionista or wannabe flyboy), the jacket will look terrific. That we have so many choices in leathers, knits, zippers, and other detail designs..... that makes it the best of all worlds. That's my opinion, and I'm sticking to it.

My gripe with defending modern top-shelf A-2's (and any WWII Mil repop) has always been that these new models may be accurate, but they're also about 10x nicer than anything someone got on a base. Nothing wrong with that as long as the "it's the most accurate" crowd can concede this point. I'll take a modern A-2 with it's awesome hide and knits over what was likely "good enough" in 1943 - assuming I'm paying the modern price and waiting the modern wait.

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
I've just sold on an original Cable A-2, and the thing that struck me was rough it was: the collar shape was 'there, or there about'; the zip tapes had been stretched to fit the jacket, the hanger was off by about an inch, and the finish overall was, er, not really - the refurb that Aero did for me actually did it a service it probably didn't deserve! I guess the ones we see are the best surviving examples and the rest were probably treated as being 'disposable'.

Last edited:

ChiTownScion

Call Me a Cab
You have to stop to consider that the folks who were making these jackets back in the day were doing separate piecework in an assembly line manner. I'm under the impression that Aero currently takes years to train a skilled jacket maker. In contrast, quality took a second seat to "cranking 'em out, " as many as they could, for the war effort- and material shortages were common. As Brother Sloan suggests, a jacket that was off was likely tossed as soon as the war was over: it had served its purpose and other civilian clothing options existed once the guns fell silent.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Antonio925