Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Tim Burton and the Addams Family

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
Looks like Tim Burton will be making a 3D stop-motion animation version of The Addams Family, based on Charles Addams' original drawings from the New Yorker.
Article in Total Film

This sounds promising, as he's got the right sensibility for it, though I would have rather seen a 2D hand-drawn animated film. I bought "The Complete New Yorker" on DVD last year, and it's great fun reading the Addams Family cartoons.

Brad

VoodooDolly

New in Town
I am tickled pink by this news. I love everything Addams Family, with the exception being the Addams Family Reunion movie. Blech. :p I think that Tim Burton has a great way of making even the most macabe characters very relatable. This could be a great way to make the drawings and animations more visible to younger people who maybe were not even aware the Addams Family existed before the movies came out.

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
I just shared this info with my wife. I'm quite sure I will be hearing an audible squeel of joy from across town in the next few moments. I'm pleased with this direction, should be really fun.

Cheers!

Dan

pretty faythe

One Too Many
Any sort of animation, ok. When I first saw the title of the thread I thought, it wasn't that long ago that they made the movie, can't be remaking the movie again, gah. Lol ok, it was 91 but still, that's only 19 years ago lol

The Good

Call Me a Cab
This definitely has the potential to be something good. I never watched too much of it, but I was able to catch some episodes of The Addams Family years back.

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
It will be interesting if he directs as opposed to produce, like hes done with the other stop motion projects.

But I do gotta say, the original Charles Addams illustrations trump Burton on macabre tenfold.

Addamsrecordchangertrimmed.jpg

LD

Actually, if any director was going to bring Charles Addams' illustrations to life, I think Tim Burton has the right sensibilities and mindset for it...providing he doesn't make it too "Burtonesque", that is. If he can manage to rein in his own tendencies and stay true to Addams' original artwork and ideas, it should be a fun film.

However...according to this article it may or may not happen: "When contacted by MTV, reps for the filmmaker said, 'There is no truth to the story. Tim has not lined up any of his upcoming projects.'" Time will tell.

Professor

A-List Customer
pretty faythe said:
Any sort of animation, ok. When I first saw the title of the thread I thought, it wasn't that long ago that they made the movie, can't be remaking the movie again, gah. Lol ok, it was 91 but still, that's only 19 years ago lol
Ain't that the truth, I keep thinking of things that happened twenty years ago as something recent and new. Didn't care much for those movies anyhow, so this might be nice to see...hopefully.

Professor

A-List Customer
Zombie_61 said:
Actually, if any director was going to bring Charles Addams' illustrations to life, I think Tim Burton has the right sensibilities and mindset for it...providing he doesn't make it too "Burtonesque", that is. If he can manage to rein in his own tendencies and stay true to Addams' original artwork and ideas, it should be a fun film.
It could either turn out really good or really bad, largely depending on Burton's self-restraint.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner