Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Tim Burton doing Dark Shadows in 2012...

MisterCairo

I'll Lock Up
Burton should be able to pull this off.

And I agree -- if they use anything OTHER than Cobert's music, it'll be a travesty. That music MADE "Dark Shadows" what it was. Without that music, even if they have the same characters and plots, it's not DS.

Isn't he contractually obligated to use Danny Elfman as his music guy, along with Johnny Deppe as lead? Unless of course he's doing a remake of a musical, a la Sweeney Todd.....

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
Of course, its success spawned the brilliant Batman: The Animated Series, which remains my all-time favorite adaptation of the character! Gotta give it some credit for that.

Its success was also responsible for the spate of early-90s comics adaptations - Dick Tracy, The Rocketeer, The Shadow, The Phantom, TV's The Flash and Lois and Clark - which were all fun, if not all good...

I'll wait and see before getting all down on it. Sure, things like this have a high failure rate, but I am hoping it will have some redeeming value. At this point, I'd wager a 50-50 chance it's good. Either way, I'll end up there watching it, so I'm staying positive!

Pompidou

One Too Many
I imagine if Burton is directing it, Elfman will do the music. It'll probably be the original theme remixed into a quirky march - like every Burton-Elfman collaboration.

Edward

Bartender
And I loved it in 1989... but it hasn't aged so well. It looks sloppy and overdone in a post-Batman Begins/The Dark Knight world.

Saw it again recently. It is definitely more of a comic-book movie than the more recent product, though there were elements I liked a lot even still. Nicholson still stole the show... When I saw The Dark Knight I got what they were doing with the Joker, but I wish they'd let him be a little more stylised with the make-up. He was a great Joker, just not my Joker (c/f watching Daniel Craig do Bond).

Of course, its success spawned the brilliant Batman: The Animated Series, which remains my all-time favorite adaptation of the character! Gotta give it some credit for that.

Oh yes, it was perfect. I adored how "diesel punk" it was... such a shame it ended, and to be replaced by that monstrosity where they're all drawn with the proportions of an orang-utan.

Its success was also responsible for the spate of early-90s comics adaptations - Dick Tracy, The Rocketeer, The Shadow, The Phantom, TV's The Flash and Lois and Clark - which were all fun, if not all good...

Never saw The Flash, it sounded fun. HATED Lois and Clark, though, especially what they did with Lois.

Dont forget Helena Bonham Carter

Haas't she only been in Planet of the Apes and Sweeney Todd (for both of which she had to audition)?

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
She was also in Big Fish, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, and Alice In Wonderland. And she voiced the title character in The Corpse Bride.

And Edward, I vastly prefer Mark Hamill's Joker in B:TAS to both Jack Nicholson and Heath Ledger! (Or Cesar Romero, while we're at it.)

ADDENDUM: You beat me to it, Rue!

Edward

Bartender
Oh yeah, I'd forgotten she was in those. D'oh. I knew they were together, didn't know he'd been married before.

Edward

Bartender
She was also in Big Fish, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, and Alice In Wonderland. And she voiced the title character in The Corpse Bride.

And Edward, I vastly prefer Mark Hamill's Joker in B:TAS to both Jack Nicholson and Heath Ledger! (Or Cesar Romero, while we're at it.)

ADDENDUM: You beat me to it, Rue!

Caeser Romero I couldn't stand, but then I hated Adam West too....

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
Let's just say it was a VERY different treatment of Batman altogether! I have a certain amount of affection for the campy old Bat-series - I was 11 and 12 when it first aired - but it turned Batman into a joke for years. (At least until the outstanding back-to-the-dark-avenger-of-the-night comics by Denny O'Neil and Neil Adams starting in 1970.)

rue

Oh yeah, I'd forgotten she was in those. D'oh. I knew they were together, didn't know he'd been married before.

Tim Burton and Lisa Marie, "Planet of the Apes"

Burton and Marie were a couple from 1992-2001 and he cast her in all the films he made during that period: “Ed Wood,” “Mars Attacks!,” “Sleepy Hollow” and “Apes.” But it was during the filming of “Apes” that Burton began a relationship with another of the film’s actresses, Helena Bonham Carter. Burton and Carter were a public couple by the time of the “Apes” release, and have subsequently collaborated on six films. Marie, for whatever reason, hasn’t taken an acting role since.

Info here: http://brevard.metromix.com/movies/...ty-couples-post-breakup/2549846/photo/2554393

Last edited:

RBH

Bartender
dark-shadows_ew-first-look-550x363.jpg

http://www.slashfilm.com/official-t...um=email&utm_campaign=Feed:+slashfilm+(/Film)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy