Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Titanic Centennial

sheeplady

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
The one thing I remember from Archaeology (well, not the only thing) is every time you dig a site, you basically loose all the information in the site that you don't or are unable to collect. One of the most important things is the relationship of the articles. Every time you disturb a site, you loose the ability to go back in 10 years with the latest and greatest technology and learn from the site, because you destroyed that site and all the information you could have collected (had you the technique) is gone.

Now of course, there is a gray area where a site is being destroyed by weather or time. But even then, we're pretty mad when robbers come and take 'priceless' artifacts from our national historical sites- they do absolutely no science in their pillage.

Warden

One Too Many
Another Titanic news story

Titanic hero Harold Lowe: Blue plaque to be unveiled at Deganwy home

click here for news story

_59565093_vlcsnap-2012-04-09-17h25m27s157.png

LizzieMaine

Bartender
A 1936 BBC Regional Service interview with Titanic Second Officer Charles Lightoller, discussing the events of the sinking. Lightoller was only 62 years old at the time, and the sinking was only 24 years past, so his memories are still relatively fresh. Excerpts of this interview have been floating around for a while (so to speak) but this is the first time I've ever heard the complete broadcast. Relatively little BBC material from the mid-thirties survives.

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
I think I've heard that interview before, Liz. There are other interviews floating around, from other officers who survived the sinking as well. They're all very interesting.

sheeplady

I'll Lock Up
Bartender

I know the feeling. I had a Nazi death's head tie pin. It was certainly worn by a member of the ss. It might have been a fairly rare item but rather than keep it, or sell it on ebay, I felt compelled to destroy it one day, and I have no regrets having done so.

I had never seen one of those before. That is the kind of stuff that freaks me out, and I wouldn't be able to sell it either. Profiting off of evil and all that. Maybe (maybe) I could give it to a museum, but the object would completely bother me for weeks. I'd be completely freaked out that somebody at the museum would know who I was and think I had a family member in the SS or I was some kind of Nazi-loving collector.

I once found in a box of junk a metal given by the Nazi regime to women who had birthed I believe it was more than 6 or 8 kids. That freaked me out more than enough to have touched it. It also freaked me out to think how it ended up in the U.S. But I'm more cautious and weird about that kind of stuff than most.

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
In a tragic, sad, 1500 people died sort of way, I suppose it was....

I saw a link about the sinking today, but it just focussed on a pair of shoes found belonging to a two year old boy who's never been identified. Probably wouldn't make gripping viewing...

I apologise.

I meant the animation was cool. A full explanation at last, after so long, about how the ship acted back in 1912. Not the event itself.

silverladybug

New in Town
I've been reading up about the Titanic as a small way to remember what happened. It's hard to describe that feeling you get while watching the documentaries, (that animation was cool, but really unsettling) or reading about it, the questions that run through your head, like what would you have done if you were a passenger, how you would have felt. I think it's such a tragic moment, but so much was learned from what happened. It's a shame we had to figure it out the hard way, but it's a good thing that we did. But reading about how people risked their lives to save others and stuck to duties instead of saving themselves, rings another bell of sadness. I think it would a good deal more difficult to find someone like Major Archibald Butt, or even some accounts of John Jacob Astor, who refused to get in a lifeboat until all of the women and children were safe, in today's world. I may be cynical, but the integrity of these men, not to mention the women crew members who helped gather the passengers, seems so much higher than ours. But I think the image of the Titanic and all it stood for, all that it was will never be forgotten, and as for the tweets about not knowing the Titanic was real, we need to educate these people.

sheeplady

I'll Lock Up
Bartender

Please, please, someone tell me that is making fun of the movie. Still, revolting.

I was once in an improv group in college,. Right after 9/11 one of the students wrote a script that involved terrorists from different religions flying planes into buildings. For the freshman orientation where 4,500 students (a good portion from the NYC area) would be attending. It was absolutely disgusting. I actually ripped it up and threw it in the writer's face after he stated that I needed to develop a sense of humor.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo