Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Titanic reborn.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
It will be far from an exact replica. First of all, it will have different propulsion, which means that at best only on stack will be functional. And I'm sure every cabin will have its own bathroom. And I'll also bet that that idea of keeping the classes separate won't last too long. But if they keep the public spaces close to identical, I think it should be a success, aesthetically, anyway. We'll see if it's a financial success.
I'm waiting for them to recreate the Normandie, or, preferably the Ile de France.

Comparison with the original Titanic

The ship is being designed to be as similar in internal and external appearance to the Titanic as possible. However, modern safety regulations and economic considerations will dictate several major changes to the design, including:

-- Greater beam for enhanced stability
-- Welded, not riveted, hull
-- Reduced draught
-- Bulbous bow for higher fuel efficiency, although moderately sized compared to modern ships
-- Stabilisers to reduce roll
-- Diesel engines driving azimuth thrusters to replace the original coal-fired steam engines
-- An additional 'safety deck' between C and D decks for modern lifeboats and marine evacuation systems, with the boat deck housing replicas of the original lifeboats. Space for the deck has been made by lowering decks D and below by 2.8 meters, and for the taller centre section of the safety deck, which houses the lifeboats, by raising the superstructure by 1.3 meters. In spite of the reduced draft, space has been made for the lowered decks by removing the orlop deck, which mainly housed the boilers.
-- New 'escape staircases' in addition to the original staircases, housed in the redundant boiler exhaust uptakes.
-- Viewing decks in the redundant first two funnels.
-- No sheer or camber, unlike the original. Pronounced sheer was a cosmetic feature of ocean liners, intended to add a graceful appearance to the ship, but made construction more difficult and therefore costly. Renderings released in February 2013 show an upwards rake added to C Deck at the bow and stern to give a superficial appearance of sheer, although an inauthentic wedge-shaped gap has had to be added between C and D decks in these areas to produce this effect.
-- A higher bridge, as the superstructure has been raised by 1.3 meters by the centre section of the safety deck, and also by the removal of the sheer. This negates the requirement on the original Titanic for lookouts.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Titanic_II

Stanley Doble

Call Me a Cab
I'm glad I'm not the guy who has to sell the tickets. Be interesting to see how they handle it without mentioning what happened to the first one.

Sprinkles

One of the Regulars
I think it is important to note that this eccentric has a history of ridiculous claims that fell through and a penchant for these imaginary projects.

CONELRAD

One of the Regulars
And of course, it will be made in China. As the article puts it: "just as the Titanic was seen as a symbol of the power of British imperialism and the height of early twentieth-century modernism, perhaps being manufactured just outside Nanjing is an equally apt metaphor for how times have changed in just over 100 years."

TM

A-List Customer
Well at least he's spending his money rather then letting sit in some Swiss bank account!

According to the Guardian article, the best suites are selling out - at $1,000,000 each for the initial voyage. And I thought $30,000 for the best suites on Queen Mary 2 were expensive!

Tony

MisterCairo

I'll Lock Up
Well at least he's spending his money rather then letting sit in some Swiss bank account!

According to the Guardian article, the best suites are selling out - at $1,000,000 each for the initial voyage. And I thought $30,000 for the best suites on Queen Mary 2 were expensive!

Tony

The QM2 is a Cunard ship which sold its maiden voyage tickets at standard, advertised prices. They weren't auctioned off to the highest bidder!

I don't know if this project will see the light of day or not, but it would be interesting to see it go forward.

Last edited:

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Hi

While I believe that you make your own luck, I ain't riding on the damn thing. Naming a new boat the Titanic is like naming a kitten "Roadkill".

Later

Ummmm ... a retro cruise ship, is it? Sorta like the late-model Ford Mustangs that take their design cues from the early Ford Mustangs?

Or is this fellow proceeding on the assumption that there's a market these days for a scheduled ocean liner? As I understand it, the QM2 is the sole remaining trans-Atlantic liner, and its schedule is for part of the year only.

It must've been these aeroplanes they got these days, that'll get you across the Atlantic in just a few hours, that knocked out the liner. In light of that, it would appear that a crossing via ship would be more for recreation than transportation.

Maybe sufficient numbers of people wish for such a vacation. Don't count me among them, though.

Last edited:
It must've been these aeroplanes they got these days, that'll get you across the Atlantic in just a few hours, that knocked out the liner. In light of that, it would appear that a crossing via ship would be more for recreation than transportation.

But the way airline passengers are treated like something between cargo and cattle makes 3rd Class on the Titanic look luxurious in comparison. :p

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
Yeah. Why not travel leisurely and in style in the manner of The Golden Age? I think it's intriguing, and certainly not meant to be a form of rapid transit, but more like a luxury cruise line. If and when it is finally launched, I'm sure they will offer vacation cruises like the other cruise lines.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR