Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

TLC for geriatric hat?

budward

One of the Regulars
Howdy all. I've got an old, dirty, stinky, mis-shapen Stetson Imperial. How does one resuscitate such a victim? Contact Art? Although I've seen on this forum something to the effect that he's out for the summer (if I remember right).

Budney

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
Sadly, nothing can help it now. Best to send it on to jamespowers. He knows how to find the Island Where Hats Go To Die, or so he told me. ;)

Many of the guys send their hats to Graham at Optimo in Chicago for rejuvenation. (773) 238-2999 is the number on their website.

Brad

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
The Rack

I think James puts the poor little devils on The Rack until they squeak out their secrets - or the governor's ghosts... Then the felt scraps become varnish buffers.

Hahahahahahhah! Yeah right. I do take Stetson Imperials as donations though. :p
You can do a few things to the hat yourself though. To get the smell out of it, give it air. Set it out int he open air in a sheltered place for the day. The hat will let off some of that smell.
Dirty can be handled by a professional but you can also get ahold of some Scout Felt Hat Cleaner and carefully go over it to tide you over until it can get to a professional.
I am not sure how misshapen it is but some steam and patience usually makes a world of difference. The felt has a memory at times. If it was not an open crown hat then it was likely shaped at one time. The steam will help you get it back to what it looked like before and hold it.

Regards to all,

J

P.S. I will have to try to get the governor's ghost out. He had an interesting life. ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ALittleBitOfCompany