Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

To all Indy hat wearers! ...

Yohanes

One of the Regulars
All of you Indy-style hat wearers, from Akubra Fed, Adventurebilt, JPD, Dorfman, Stetson, etc....

When Indy 4 is released in theatres, if you want to watch the movie there, will you wear your Indy hat to the cinemas? :D :D :D

indycop

I'll Lock Up
Yohanes said:
All of you Indy-style hat wearers, from Akubra Fed, Adventurebilt, JPD, Dorfman, Stetson, etc....

When Indy 4 is released in theatres, if you want to watch the movie there, will you wear your Indy hat to the cinemas? :D :D :D
Hadn't thought about it, I would like to but I tend to get messy with the popcorn and such.:eusa_doh: Butter grease on my pb would not be good!!!:eek: No comment necessary from Deelovely!!;)

fatwoul

Practically Family
I have this thing about hype. The more hype around a film, the less chance I'll go to see it. If I do go to see IJ4, I will specifically not wear my Federation or Camptown. I won't even wear my AB, assuming it has arrived. I will probably wear my Whippet.

This is because I get hats based on the shapes I like, not because I am looking to emulate a character from a movie.

Nothing against those who do, of course. I just consider the wearing of my hats as a stylistic choice, and not a costume.

Out of interest, has anybody considered not wearing their ABs to the screening, in case they get pinched? I mean, anybody who knows what an AB looks like will also know how much they are worth, particularly after the impending price-hike, which could see them hitting $500 ish, plus a year wait. Some opportunistic ne'er-do-well might see these hats as an item with a good resale potential. So those of you considering wearing them should, I think, do so cautiously.

deelovely

Practically Family
indycop said:
Hadn't thought about it, I would like to but I tend to get messy with the popcorn and such.:eusa_doh: Butter grease on my pb would not be good!!!:eek: No comment necessary from Deelovely!!;)
lol lol lol No comment!!;) :D

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
Not that I am a male hat wearer as was asked in the question....BUT

wearing a hat to a crowded movie theatre seems a bit odd to me....you all sit there with them on your laps the whole movie? otherwise people will have issues seeing....and the floor is too icky to stick a nice hat down on it.....sold out shows have no seats to use instead..

cooncatbob

Practically Family
I'll probably go see it the 2nd week after the crowds have thinned a bit. I'll leave the hat at home as I need my lap for my large popcorn and drink and keeping it on my head would be rude to those sitting behind me.
Bob.

indycop

I'll Lock Up
fatwoul said:
Out of interest, has anybody considered not wearing their ABs to the screening, in case they get pinched? I mean, anybody who knows what an AB looks like will also know how much they are worth, particularly after the impending price-hike, which could see them hitting $500 ish, plus a year wait. Some opportunistic ne'er-do-well might see these hats as an item with a good resale potential. So those of you considering wearing them should, I think, do so cautiously.
Haha, let em try and take my hat!!:whistling :fedora:

indycop

I'll Lock Up
cooncatbob said:
I'll leave the hat at home as I need my lap for my large popcorn and drink
Exactly!! Ah, those of us poor souls who bear the responsibility of holding the popcorn!lol

Who is holding the popcorn in my family can cause a war amongst the young ones.:eusa_doh:

deanglen

My Mail is Forwarded Here
fatwoul said:
This is because I get hats based on the shapes I like, not because I am looking to emulate a character from a movie.

Your new avatar is great, FW! As for what hat I think I'd wear if I went, my guess is one of my field caps. I have this thing about "Hey, Indy" comments, and actually any comment in general that even smells like a jibe; I hate them.

dean

Barb

One of the Regulars
Folks in my office are already

planning to take the afternoon off on the day after it opens to get see it mid afternoon. three of the guys wear their Indy hats everywhere except indoors, so I would doubt we will see any obstacles here.

I do agree that that hats would obscure the view for others.

cooncatbob said:
I'll probably go see it the 2nd week after the crowds have thinned a bit. I'll leave the hat at home as I need my lap for my large popcorn and drink and keeping it on my head would be rude to those sitting behind me.
Bob.

carter

I'll Lock Up
deanglen said:
Your new avatar is great, FW! As for what hat I think I'd wear if I went, my guess is one of my field caps. I have this thing about "Hey, Indy" comments, and actually any comment in general that even smells like a jibe; I hate them.
dean

I have this image in my head of some rube yelling "Hey, Indy" at an long line of people waiting to purchase tickets and wearing their hats.

Could be the one time when the jibe wouldn't be such a nuisance.

I'd probably wear the Stetson IJ and not care what got on it. After all, it's wool. The more abuse the better. :D

woodsie

Banned
Huh?

I'm new in town, and don't wish to create a blogosphere riot, but isn't going to an Indiana jones flic in a like minded lid a little like going to a Patriots football game with your face painted red, white and blue? [huh] And you veterans here will have to educate me as to the wonder of all things Indiana Jones. I don't get it. If it were Godfather IV, or Goodfellas Redux, I'd queue up.

Havana

One of the Regulars
Indiana Jones is the blessing and the curse of the hat wearers' world. After the cowboy hat, the Indiana Jones hat is the most recognizable hat in American culture. Interest in the Indy hat has kept some hat companies in business, inspired a new generation of custom hat makers to take up the craft, and served as a gateway drug for so many of us daily hat wearers. The dark side of the Indy hat phenomenon is that no matter what hat you wear, no matter what style or color, you will inevitably hear, "Hey, Indy!" or "I love your Indiana Jones hat." I got this just this weekend while wearing a gray Akubra Snowy River. It never makes sense. Don't waste a second trying to figure out what they're thinking. These often horribly erroneous comments are just a price that all hat wearers must pay and it has not deminished since the last Indy film came out in 1989. It's iconic so anyone daring to wear a hat should just get used to it. I think it's a small price to pay for the benefits that Indiana Jones has brought to the hat wearing community. Indiana Jones has inspired a whole younger generation to wear real hats. Who can find fault with that?

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
Me too - I will very likely wear my Wested Raiders jacket, but bringing a hat into a movie theater just doesn't make sense for several reasons. Besides, the jacket is a slightly more subtle way to honor the experience... though amidst the Memorial Day Weekend audience's ubiquitous T-shirts, it will probably still stand out very clearly!

AlanC

My Mail is Forwarded Here
My wife and I usually go to matinees where there are sometimes no other people. I usually just stick my hat in the 'V' formed by the back of the two seats in front of us. That said, I probably won't wear the AB I now have on order (assuming it gets here in time...) to see Indy IV, but I will be there to see it.

carter

I'll Lock Up
woodsie said:
I'm new in town, and don't wish to create a blogosphere riot, but isn't going to an Indiana jones flic in a like minded lid a little like going to a Patriots football game with your face painted red, white and blue? [huh] And you veterans here will have to educate me as to the wonder of all things Indiana Jones. I don't get it. If it were Godfather IV, or Goodfellas Redux, I'd queue up.

Woodsie, Welcome aboard. For more info regarding the Indian Jones mystique, look at this website:

http://www.admiralsarms.com/indy/ag/index.html

woodsie

Banned
Tanks

Thanks Carter,
Scanned the link, but I'm a guy who hated Seinfeld, and shall not be skipping out of work in mid afternoon to watch a too hip college professor with a severe mid life crisis discover lost treasures[huh] . Taste is in the mouth of the beholder, one would think. I love the FL though:eusa_clap . Much enjoyed the natural violence, reality, and human touch of Deadwood on HBO. Some neat lids there, also.
Have a good one.

Doh!

One Too Many
I'll try my darndest to see this opening day. And will wear a brown fedora if the weather permits (or requires).

Keeping a hat in my lap during a movie is no big deal. I'd rather, of course, keep it on the chair next to me but doubt if there'll be any empty seats at Indy 4 for quite awhile.

WideBrimm

A-List Customer
IMHO best not to wear a nice fedora to a crowded movie theater. Better to wear a --- dare I say --- Ball Cap :eek: or just wait a few weeks until the crowds thin out.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot