Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

To New Members!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

RBH

Bartender
First of all I want to welcome you to the Lounge!

There was a time when I would welcome everyone [well almost] with a personal post. The Lounge has grown and I just cant do that anymore.
So I would like to post a little guide for your use.

This thread is for questions. Lefty, a long time member started it and it has served us well. Please post your questions there. Let me assure you that us old timers check this thread often.

https://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/ask-a-question-get-an-answer.41576/

Here is a thread that lets you in on some of the 'TOP' threads on The Fedora Lounge. Please check it and check it often because I add links all the time.

https://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/links-to-hat-threads.112725/

Keep in mind. Both of these are already stickies .

Once again thanks to you new guys for joining, and a thanks to you that help us out with answers to questions and also for pointing things out to us.
And one more thing to you new guys, if you start a new thread to ask a question please dont be mad if we merge it. But if the question is one that we think can 'stand' on its on we shall leave it as it is.

Last edited:

Saint-Just

One of the Regulars
Hi RBH

Thanks for letting us "newbies" know. As a regular user of boards I must say that I find a 200+ pages thread a scary thing, and although I am sure a lot of my future questions have already been asked, I am not sure I'll be able to go through the whole thread :D

On the other hand I fully understand that you guys are way past the "abc" type of questions we come up with.

Hi RBH

Thanks for letting us "newbies" know. As a regular user of boards I must say that I find a 200+ pages thread a scary thing, and although I am sure a lot of my future questions have already been asked, I am not sure I'll be able to go through the whole thread :D

The long threads are daunting, but there are countless shorter threads too. Use your Google search page, adding "fedora lounge" to the text of your query. Easier and, I think, better than the internal search function on the Lounge.

welcome!
Alan

Last edited:

rlk

I'll Lock Up
Its not necessary to search through the "ask a question... " 200+ thread for an answer to your question--it is a place to post the question rather than add a new thread ,creating clutter and making searches less efficient. If a search doesn't give the info sought- post and someone will probably have an answer or a tip on where to find further details.

Reactions: RBH

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
Exactly. Ask a Question isn't a thread to read all the way through. Just ask your question and await an answer.

Tommy

One of the Regulars
The problem I have with this site's search function is when you put in a term, it will bring up threads with the terms in it, but in many instances, those threads are hundreds or sometimes a thousand posts long, too long to sift through to find what it is you're looking for. Is there a way for the search function to display only the posts in the thread with the term in it?

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
You're better off using Google and making it site specific:

stetson nutria quality site:thefedoralounge.com

If you want to use the Lounge search function, you end up running two searches. First, you'll search for something like Stetson Nutria which, unless you're running a thread-title-only search, will probably get you many threads and then not link you to the specific posts within them. Then, select the threads you think might have the best chance of showing what you're seeking and use the Search Thread function on the right side of the screen, just above the first post on the page. It's clumsy, but it kind of works.

Tommy

One of the Regulars
I see what you are saying, I do my best to find an answer before posting a question. I just know sometimes questions are posted by people, others will say it's been answered before, but in some cases the newbies to a question haven't had the luck of finding that info through the search function.

I was just wondering if I was missing something with the capabilities of this site's search function, but I guess I'm not. No big deal anyway, just wondering.

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
If you can't find what you're looking for, there's always the Ask a Question Thread. No matter how simple it seems, or how often it may have been asked, if you ask it there, someone will either directly answer your question or try to link you to a thread that does.

El Sid

New in Town
I discovered this site because every time I would Google for information about fedoras--which was often--I'd be brought here. This place is like the mythical backroom or secret hall where all the knowledge is kept and gladly shared with anyone who can find his way and dares to enter. I, myself, am deep into taper-talk now, perusing all posts about taper. My research thus far indicates the subject is most important to Indy fans, but in general, taper is out. As a 7 5/8 long oval, I got used to taper by yanking too small felts and straws over my eggnoggin and toughing it out through the headache until the hat fit; the inevitable taper of the fathead. I avoided a lot of headaches when I discovered hatjacks here, but also their limits if you're against taper. Does anyone, especially fellow mellonsheads, care to voice an opinion on maybe just a little taper?

Last edited:

GamaH

A-List Customer
The long threads are daunting, but there are countless shorter threads too. Use your Google search page, adding "fedora lounge" to the text of your query. Easier and, I think, better than the internal search function on the Lounge.

welcome!
Alan

Actually you can focus it even further. Type "site:thefedoralounge.com [query]" into google. You'll get everything relevant from the fedora lounge, and ONLY the fedora lounge.

So an example will be: "site:thefedoralounge.com panama hats"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails