Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

To Stretch, or Not to Stretch

Macheath

One of the Regulars
----that is the question

I'm faced with a bit of a dilemma with a hat I recently received. My hat size is somewhere between 7 1/2 and 7 5/8, and I recently purchased a used Stetson Ashland that is size 7 1/2.

At the moment it is very snug, but since I'm due for a haircut anyway, I'm guessing that as it is, the fit will be close to perfect (though still a bit tight) once the hair pad is gone. Problem is, my hair doesn't stay short for very long, so I spend more time as a walking fuzzball and I need a hat that's slightly larger.

Now, for about the price of a hat stretcher (which obviously, I do not yet own), I could take my hat to a local hat shop and have a new, larger sweatband put in. I know that stretched sweatbands tend to recoil back to their original size over time, and a new sweatband would save me the trouble of having to restretch.

On the other hand, because of my prohibitively large head, I'll probably need a stretcher in the future anyway when I decide to buy a vintage 7 1/2.

Given that both routes cost about the same, in terms of money and inconvenience, I can't decide which one to take, and I was wondering if those with more experience with hats could tell me if there are any hassles that I may be overlooking, and if one option is actually preferable to the other. [huh]

Any input would be much appreciated! :)

EDIT:

I was looking under the sweat just now and discovered that the sweat is actually leatherette, making this a moot point. I feel a bit silly asking now :eusa_doh:

I thought it felt kind of plasticky, but the looks fooled me.

Now, I'm just torn between leather and cloth. I know cloth will likely make it fit better, but I like leather and...d'oh! [huh] :p

I do appreciate your input GD. Now I know to hold off on getting a Hat Jack and wait for a vintage stretcher to turn up. Thanks for your help!

Our heads are close to same size. I am a 7 1/2 XLong Oval & regular 7 5/8 fits me front to back. I buy vintage 7 1/2, 7 1/2 LO, 7 1/2 XLO, 7 5/8, 7 5/8 LO. When I buy Akubra, its 61 LO. Stretchers are in constant use for my collection. I wear hats & sweat will cause the sweatbands to contract & get tighter. Being XLong Oval I need a 2 way stretcher to get that oblong shape so even the right circumference hats fit. I have 1 7 3/8 XLong Oval that was my first real cowboy hat that I can wear still. Investing in a good stretcher or finding a vintage stretcher is better than a Hat Jack because they apply pressure than just at the sweatband. HTH

J.T.Marcus

Call Me a Cab
Leaving your hat in the car, on a warm day, will also cause it to get tighter.

If you're close to a good fit, but just a tad snug, regular wearing will usually take care of the fit. :)

carter

I'll Lock Up
The 1st thing I'd do is look beneath the sweatband and be sure that there is no extra padding there. I've found everything imaginable (sizing strips/newspaper/plastic bag/etc) under the sweatbands of vintage hats.

panama jack

One of the Regulars
Carter,
I really like your new avatar. I have a hat that looks very cimilar to yours. It's a Stetson Mallory that I bought a few months ago. However, I like the shape of the brim on yours better. Mine has more of a curl on the sides and back. I may need to make an adjustment after seeing yours.

pj

Wil Tam

Practically Family
leatherette?

I didn't know that Stetson would use anything but leather or cotton/rayon grosgrain on their sweats... that's news to me.

got any pics of the hat & sweat?

You should get it swapped out for a leather one then.

----------------
Now playing: J Mascis - Every Mother's Son
via FoxyTunes

J.T.Marcus

Call Me a Cab
carter said:
The 1st thing I'd do is look beneath the sweatband and be sure that there is no extra padding there. I've found everything imaginable (sizing strips/newspaper/plastic bag/etc) under the sweatbands of vintage hats.

I even found several dollar bills used as padding, in one hat! :D :D :D :D

Daoud

One of the Regulars
carter said:

I found a wick for an oil lantern in one hat.......

carldelo

One Too Many
I have two Ashlands, one a little over a year old, the other I bought in January. Both have sweats which are leather, but have a plastic feel. I'm sure the sweat on yours is the same thin, treated leather.

The older one is brown with a brown sweat, it was a little big to begin with. I padded it and it has conformed nicely to my head. The newer hat is gray with a black sweat, also a little large. The black sweatband seems less compliant - in particular, the padding caused the sweat to have big ripples in it. They don't hurt or leave marks on my forehead, but the sweat isn't conforming as readily. If your sweat is brown, I might let it ride for a while and see how it adapts to your head. If it's black or doesn't seem to be adapting, maybe a replacement is in order. The felt on my year-old hat has softened considerably and is nearly as conformable as my Sovereign lid. It's a good hat, I think it's worth getting it to fit well. Good luck

Macheath

One of the Regulars
Wil Tam said:
I didn't know that Stetson would use anything but leather or cotton/rayon grosgrain on their sweats... that's news to me.

got any pics of the hat & sweat?

You should get it swapped out for a leather one then.

That's what I thought as well, but this really doesn't look like leather to me. It is, like CarlD described, thin, plasticky, and stiffer than I would expect leather to be.

The underside has a rough gray surface that feels like fine grit sandpaper, and looks more like a composite material than animal hide fibers. Most importantly, it doesn't have any kind of nap, which I thought was always present on leather. It's brown, and the color looks more painted on than dyed.

I'm certainly no expert, but this looks like no leather I've ever encountered before. If it is indeed real leather, it seems to be of a sort that can't be coaxed into stretching all that easily.

I'm away from the hat at the moment, but I'll try to post some pics tomorrow.

carter

I'll Lock Up
panama jack said:
Carter,
I really like your new avatar. I have a hat that looks very cimilar to yours. It's a Stetson Mallory that I bought a few months ago. However, I like the shape of the brim on yours better. Mine has more of a curl on the sides and back. I may need to make an adjustment after seeing yours.pj
Thanks, pj. Which avatar was it? If it's the one currently posted, the hat is a VS Forrestor custom from Art Fawcett.

Daoud & jec, You know, behind the sweatband isn't a bad place to carry a wick for an oil lantern. It'll stay dry andreadily available. That's a good idea for an outdoorsman who uses his lantern regularly. I need to remember this.

JT, That's a good place for some emergency cash as well.

I enjoy reading about the utility some wearers find in their hats. ;) :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ALittleBitOfCompany