Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

To yoke or not to yoke: an Aero question!

holdencain

One of the Regulars
Greetings,

Continuing to read posts and look at photos.....

Can someone explain to me the deal with the "yoke"??

It appears to me from looking @ Mark Moye's picture trail that many styles I am considering....highwayman, 30's or 50's halfbelt, cossack...do not primarily come with a yoked back? but then I see posts here of the same jackets w/ different yoked backs??

Is this an option that many add to their order? What are the functional pros/cons to a yoked back (ie is there a reason besides liking the *look*..., is it more/less roomy)?

Are there different types of yokes?

And does this at all relate to a "biswing back"?

Thanks,
H

DanielCoffey

Familiar Face
My Long Half Belt which I have just received from Aero UK is not yoked but does have the bi-swing back - this allows the arms to move forwards or upwards a little more easily. I can certainly feel the bi-swing doing its stuff when reaching for something above my shoulder height.

EDIT : I should also add that I specified my jacket with the default storm cuffs but find them a little restrictive on the wrists. With hindsight, I would probably specify the sleeves without storm cuffs but with the extra leather facing inside the cuffs to save vs lining wear.

The options I chose deviating from the standard LHB were... gabardine lining, olive stitching, corduroy pocket lining, 3" lower rear panel facing and left and right inside pockets with vertical openings and pop studs.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy