Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Too big or too small?

sola fide

One of the Regulars
Hello all.
There is a straw material hat I must have. I wear a 7 1/8. Only available sizes are 7 & 7 1/4. I've bought a few 7's and stretched them, they fit well as long as I keep my hair very short. If I must, should I get slightly bigger or slightly smaller?
Thanks
Mike

viclip

Practically Family
I'd go larger. Especially if leather, sweat bands tend to shrink with exposure to heat & moisture. Meanwhile you can always add filler material between the sweat band & the body of the hat, such as strips of foam, cloth, paper etc.

Besides which there's nothing more miserable than a hat which feels like a boa constrictor wrapped around one's noggin.

sola fide

One of the Regulars
I'd go larger. Especially if leather, sweat bands tend to shrink with exposure to heat & moisture. Meanwhile you can always add filler material between the sweat band & the body of the hat, such as strips of foam, cloth, paper etc.

Besides which there's nothing more miserable than a hat which feels like a boa constrictor wrapped around one's noggin.
Good common sense answer, thank you

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy