Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Top 10 Comic Actors of All Time

anselmo1

One of the Regulars
1. Harpo Marx along with his brothers Groucho and Chico
2. Buster Keaton
3. Charlie Chaplin
4. Max Linder
5. Moe Howard, Larry Fine, and Curley Howard
6. Stan Laurel and Oliver Hardy
7. Bud Abbott & Lou Costello
8. Harold Lloyd
9. WC Fields
10. Roscoe "Fatty" Arbuckle

31264419_o.jpg

LadyStardust

Practically Family
Wow, I'm so glad you mentioned Max Linder! He is absolute genius, I love him! :eusa_clap

I actually am pretty picky in terms of what satisfies when it comes to comedy, so I don't think I could come up with a list of ten, but on the list I would definately have to include, Max Linder, Bob Hope, Harold Lloyd, Charlie Chaplin Buster Keaton, Charley Chase(now HE is a master!), and for high comedy Rex Harrison, David Niven, and Noel Coward win.

Mike in Seattle

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I take it this is more of a slapstick comedian list based on the content. If so - Bob Hope, Niven and others probably aren't appropriate. But I think a list of comedic actors would have to begin with Bob Hope, David Niven, Cary Grant and William Powell.

K.D. Lightner

Call Me a Cab
1. Charlie Chaplin
2. Buster Keaton
3. Laurel & Hardy
4. Peter Sellars
5. Marx Brothers
6. Bob Hope
7. Jerry Lewis (loved him when I was a kid)
8. Ernie Kovaks
9. WC Fields
10. Sid Caesar

I could also add Mr. Televison, Milton Berle. Did he make any movies? Also, Cary Grant, who had such great comedic timing, as Did David Niven, William Powell,as does Billy Crystal. Robin Williams is a good funny man today, though some folks don't like his manic style.

karol

HadleyH

I'll Lock Up
Harry Langdon!!!!!!!!!
"Tramp, Tramp, Tramp" and "The Strong Man", this last one not only Harry's best picture but also probably the best film its director (Frank Capra) ever made. :D

BeBopBaby

One Too Many
In no particular order:

1. Buster Keaton
2. The Marx Brothers
3. Harold Lloyd
4. Charlie Chaplin
5. Abbott & Costello
6. Laurel & Hardy
7. The Three Stooges

I know, pretty standard stuff, but there's a reason they're still watched today - they were geniuses of the genre!

But what about the ladies?! I don't see any women on the list, so I'll have to add:

8. Mabel Normand (especially with Fatty Arbuckle)
9. Jean Arthur (she was so good at slapstick & that voice!)
10. Carole Lombard (some of my favorite comedies from the 30s feature her talents)

Don't forget Bing Crosby & Bob Hope (The Road To... movies are still funny to this day), Danny Kaye (another master of genre), Cary Grant (who else could deliver slapstick with such style and panache?), Rosilyn Russell (her fast-talking delivery and timing were outstanding).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner