Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Top Hat Crown Height?

filfoster

One Too Many
I posed this question in the current top hat thread but I fear it is buried so I'll start one: Does anyone have information about the heights of top hats during different time periods? Very early photos, 1840s-50's, show very tall toppers, perhaps as tall as 8" or so. Twentieth Century top hats seem to be less than 6". Anyone have more specific info? I see some information on
www.historyinthemaking.org but it's very general. Any top-hatted doyennes in the Lounge?

"Come on, throw me a bone, here." - Dr. Evil

filfoster

One Too Many
Thanks

scotrace said:
Thread title changed so it reflects what you want to know and might get you some information. :)

Thanks.
I know someone in the Lounge must know more than I do about toppers. I am interested in the possible time period top hats with a crown height of 5 1/2" to 6 1/2" might have been favored.
I have several vintage ones, 5 1/2" to 5 3/4", but all are undated. I have one that is a 'new-made', 7" tall, covered with hatter's silk plush. I have a 5 1/2" conical top hat that is most unattractive, and the ubiquitous collapsible opera top hat.
I need some information to better pair these with frock coats or tails of different eras.

zetwal

I'll Lock Up
It was up and down. See The Top Hat, Debbie Henderson. Concerning typical preferences (and skimming the pages) she says -

1790s - 1830s = 6 to 7 inches
1840s - 50s = brims broaden and crowns taper
1850s = 8 inches straighter sides
1860s = lower again
1870s = back up
1880s - 1890s = lower again
until being replaced by bowlers and fedoras 1900s

She seems to give these fluctuations in relation to formal wear. And she says that low crowned toppers (3 to 5 inches) were popular with the working class throughout the 1800s.

Check out the book. I may have made mistakes here. And, in any case, you may read it differently.

filfoster

One Too Many
zetwal said:
It was up and down. See The Top Hat, Debbie Henderson. Concerning typical preferences (and skimming the pages) she says -

1790s - 1830s = 6 to 7 inches
1840s - 50s = brims broaden and crowns taper
1850s = 8 inches straighter sides
1860s = lower again
1870s = back up
1880s - 1890s = lower again
until being replaced by bowlers and fedoras 1900s

She seems to give these fluctuations in relation to formal wear. And she says that low crowned toppers (3 to 5 inches) were popular with the working class throughout the 1800s.

Check out the book. I may have made mistakes here. And, in any case, you may read it differently.

Zetwal: Thanks! I just scored a copy on Amazon.com the full title is:
Top Hat: An Illustrated History of Its Styling and Manufacture for anyone else who wants one. This should do it. Again, the Loungers pull through!

zetwal

I'll Lock Up
Her books are really great. Get one called Hat Talk too if you can. You'll love 'em both!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ThomW