Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Top Hat for Prom

ArrowCollarMan

A-List Customer
I have scoured e-bay and looked in vintage stores and come up with nothing. I have found one satin top hat form online but its very expensive and not quite as tall as I'd like (6-61/2 inches).
Any suggestions or ideas where I would find such an item that would fit my 7 3/8 size head?

dnjan

One Too Many
Frankly, I wouldn't bother. Prom is almost entirely an inside event, in the evening, in warm weather.
From an "proper" perspective, I understand that top hats are not appropriate:
1. inside
2. with evening wear
3. specifically with evening wear not covered by either an opera cape or a greatcoat

WideBrimm

A-List Customer
How about Abe Lincoln's Top Hat?

Your challenge reminds me of the exhibit I saw this past weekend in Denver. The "ABRAHAM LINCOLN: SELF-MADE IN AMERICA" BICENTENNIAL TOUR". One of his Top Hats was exhibited. Of course his hat size was 7-1/8. However, in perusing the museum store I see they've got some replicas for sale - in small or large. If you've got enough time one just might do the trick!

Some links:

http://www.villagehatshop.com/Abraham_Lincoln_s_Hat.html

http://www.abelincolnmuseum.org/

http://enssc.com/Products.aspx?product=138133

Bird's One View

One of the Regulars
A top hat, sadly, is not a very useful hat. I have one (collapsable satin) that I have never worn (I have tried it on). The satin ones only go with white tie; you really need a felt one for morning dress.

If you are wearing black tie to prom, a more practical hat is a homburg. Biltmore (my preference) and Dobbs make fur felt homburgs that sell for around $125-150. The homburg is the preferred hat with black tie and also looks very good with a dark lounge suit. In other words you can wear it with clothes that people still commonly wear on the street.

(By the way dnjan has a point: at an indoor prom your hat should be on the peg all night anyhow; might as well just wear a fedora -- or whatever you have handy -- in transit and ditch it for the event.)

On the other hand, if college is in your future, that's one of the few environments in which a fellow could wear a top hat with his everyday clothes. In fact a man I knew in college was known for wearing one. It was pale green.

Smuterella

One Too Many
dnjan said:
Frankly, I wouldn't bother. Prom is almost entirely an inside event, in the evening, in warm weather.
From an "proper" perspective, I understand that top hats are not appropriate:
1. inside
2. with evening wear
3. specifically with evening wear not covered by either an opera cape or a greatcoat

yeah, but, top hats worn improperly are sexy

Anthony Jordan

Practically Family
I feel your pain; for my wedding I was able to acquire a tall silk hat that just fitted for £14, but it needed a fair bit of work to make it just passable and has suffered in the meantime. Now I'm keeping an eye out for a replacement but just try finding one in a UK 7 1/4 going on 7 3/8...

metropd

One Too Many
I would say do it. Look on ebay UK, you will find many. I would say the minimum height should be 6 inches and the maximum 7 inches tall. Most will be around 6 1/4. The height of the top hat I am wearing is 6 1/4 inches tall. Make sure you ask the seller to measure the top hat from the bottom of the band straight up to the top in order for an accurate measurement.

nicholasintophat5-1.jpg

Edward

Bartender
As you've discovered, a quality top hat is indeed a pricey item. A few things to consider...

1] how often will you wear it? Might be difficult to justify the expense of a very classy hat if it is something you won't wear very often. On the other hand, given it's not something you'll likely wear very often, buying a quality one now will last a lifetime.

2] What are you wearing to prom? It's a matter of debate in these parts as to whether a top hat is appropriate with black tie or only with tails. Here's a thing, though.... only a top hat will do with tails, but if black tie is what you're going with, there are a range of hats that you can sport. A black fedora will look fine; the ideal, IMO, would be a black homburg. The homburg will be the cheapest option, on eBay... they go cheaper than fedoras, and definitely cheaper than top hats!

If you are looking for a top hat, Mr Metropd is something of an authority on the subject, I believe. eBay UK is indeed full of them. Prices tend to be high, but you can find some bargains. I have an 'as new' Christies topper I acquired on ebay UK for GBP55 (that's about USD 110).

ETA: Hats Direct have a nice looking top hat by Akubra - not sure from the online photo what the finish is, though (i.e. matt or a nice sheen). It is fur felt, though, not wool.

Lucky Strike

A-List Customer
Smuterella said:
yeah, but, top hats worn improperly are sexy

Well, yes, but only if very improperly.

Edward said:
It's a matter of debate in these parts as to whether a top hat is appropriate with black tie or only with tails.

Really? I thought that was a hard rule. (Tails only, including white tie, morning dress, etc.)

DerMann

Practically Family
I wore a topper to my promenade this year (just last Saturday, as a matter of fact).

img0821yd4.jpg

I can list the times when I had it on:

-When I left my car to knock on her door to pick her up (removed it once inside for photos)
-After I left her house to go to my car (took it off in the car)
-Walking into the restaurant (gave it to the hostess to check)
-Walking out of the restaurant to the valet
-Walking to the door of a girl's house to drop some things off before the promenade started (took it off inside, even for pictures. Both her and her father commented on this later).
-Walking out of her house to my car (once again, took it off in the car)
-Getting out of my car, walking to the lobby, and checking my hat at the entrance to the dance room.
-Walking out of the bag/hat check to get the car from the valet

I left it in the car for the after party.

I'm not going to say I disliked carrying it around - it definitely got me some looks - I mean the principle of my school stopped me, greeted me and shook my hand, and wished me a pleasant evening (he as wearing a black business suit D: ). It's also pretty handy for storing other outwear, such as my gloves and opera scarf.

I doubt if you can tell from the picture, but my top hat is actually a modern reproduction. I have a size 7 1/2 or so head, so vintage toppers are essentially out of the question (their value increases exponentially with size). It's not even real fur, to be perfectly honest. It looks, and feels very similar to it, it has a full lining and leather sweat band, and was made completely bespoke to my tastes. Best of all it was $80 - shipped. I really must agree with most of the people on this thread, one cannot wear a topper enough these days to warrant the high price (especially for a student). I think I stumbled upon a very viable alternative to the those natty looking wool felt ones and the true vintage pieces that run into the hundreds of dollars.

I'm not sure if the old boy still does them, but give him a try. His email is jananhats@fakeyahoo.com (minus the fake). He might have it ready by this weekend, if time is a necessity. I received mine six days after I sent the payment via PayPal.

Who's to tell Fred Astaire that top hats are only for white tie?

vlcsnap3486248ne7.png

Hope I've been of some help.

Oh, and as for top hats for use with morning dress, I would spend just $60 or $70 and get a grey wool felt topper (grey is a lot easier to imitate, as it has a matte surface).

DerMann

Practically Family
But of course.

topper.jpg

That one is fairly old. If you need them, I can get a picture of the inside and what not.

Once again, it is not meant to replace a vintage top hat, but merely a means of replicating one for a very low price. It's not absolutely stiff, but It's very easy to doff and what not by lifting the brim.

DerMann

Practically Family
http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b67/DerMann3/topper4.jpg

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b67/DerMann3/topper3.jpg
The grosgrain ribbon has kind of folded because I put a flower in there a few times (not to mention the "price tag")

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b67/DerMann3/topper2.jpg

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b67/DerMann3/topper1.jpg
For whatever reason, he decided to put my initials on the top of the inside with a biro. Make sure you tell him to leave it blank to be sure. I've been meaning to get some gold lettering or something to place over it, but it's not that big of a deal.

I've dropped it a few times, and there's a bit of sweat staining on the inside (very hot day), but it seems to keep its shape and texture pretty well. Only wear I see is the fabric is starting to puff out around the edges of the crown. You can kind of see it in the last one, but theres a reall good swirl in the fabric on the top of the hat, which I think mimics real felt quite well (aesthetically at least).

DerMann

Practically Family
No problem at all, glad I could be of service.

Also, forgot to mention, I asked for the pronounced flare. The man should be more than happy to narrow it, expand it, make the crown short or higher, just ask him.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn