Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Tough jeans

Edward

Bartender
I had a pair of jeans lined with kevlar once, those things were designed to help save your skin should you take a two wheeled spill down the tarmac...felt a bit warm for casual wear. :)

Yeah.... I'd think they're a bit more breathable than the leather on the move on a bike, but wearing around in the Summer, that'd be tough.

Folks here tend to immediately steer you to high end makers, but sounds like you might have a budget. Don't know if you are familiar with Dickies but they make a lot of work-oriented clothes. I have a pair of their cotton duck carpenter pants that seem indestructible. Carhartt is another option. Shop where working-type guys really shop. That also guarantees economy money-wise.

Carhartt are great, though unfortunately over here they seem to be regarded as more of a brand than they are in the US, so they tend to be pricey - GBP85 and upwards, last I looked. That said, a few years ago I managed to get an as new and unworn pair on eBay for £20, so there are bargains to be had.

Tarwater

Familiar Face
...Shop where working-type guys really shop. That also guarantees economy money-wise.

Agreed. When I want something built to last I tend to think legit workwear first and avoid Chinese goods as well. The Shaefer item I posted is ranch wear -- made to be tough, abrasion resistant, reinforced where it matters. $70 isn't that much to spend for something substantial... Not when you can spend a few hundred these days to just look like a worker.

Like I said I have the jacket and it is crazy rugged. The only thing more stout than the fabric is maybe the construction. I do think I'm going to grab some Gustins in the near future though.

ProteinNerd

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Yeah it's odd seeing Carhartt t shirts here in Greece, never see them in the States. That's all I see from them here, t shirts, probably knock offs...

Carhartt now have a "fashion" brand/department that is separate to their workwear. You can't even get the workwear items in the store here in Sydney, its branded Carhartt - WIP (Work in Progress) here. Mostly made in China and much lower durability than their workwear, just regular fashion store quality.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
Carhartt now have a "fashion" brand/department that is separate to their workwear. You can't even get the workwear items in the store here in Sydney, its branded Carhartt - WIP (Work in Progress) here. Mostly made in China and much lower durability than their workwear, just regular fashion store quality.

In fairness Carhartt has never had much of a profile here in Australia and has mainly been worn by hipsters. We have our own famous brands of substandard work wear worn by plumbers and builders across this wide brown land. ;)

Ernest P Shackleton

One Too Many
This is a situation where a group of people from various countries begin trading. I'd be glad to get in on something like that.

I'd also recommend Carhart duck canvas dungarees etc. I live near a farm supply store that used to sell private label jeans for less than $20 that were pretty darn tough, but I haven't been there for a few years. If they still have them, something like that would be ideal for such a need.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR