Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Toyota Retro Commercials

Thunderbolt

One of the Regulars
cptjeff said:
Anyone seen that new toyota avalon commercial? The one with the boeing Stratoliner and the 50's dressed stewardess?

If so, anyone have an idea if that's a take off on some famous jet age commercial or something along those lines? I figure if anyone would know, the crowd here would.

Reminds me of the Popular Science news reels they used to show on AMC 15 years ago. This could be "The Car of Tomarrow" or something like that.

Thunderbolt

One of the Regulars
Cool comercial, but not fitting for a toyota in my opinion. American cars yes, but toyota in a 40's/50's setting? Replay the commercials again and mentaly replace toyota with Lincoln or Buick...

J. M. Stovall

Call Me a Cab
The engine also seems to have all these windows on the side of it in the commercial. You can see them here in this photo. It's part coach part engine.

scotrace said:
Is that based on any real train? Lionel should get one in the pipeline...

toyota.jpg

Rabben

New in Town
Only way to make something new look real classy is to put it in a golden era environment. Sure works, though :p

Atomic Age

Practically Family
Thunderbolt said:
Cool comercial, but not fitting for a toyota in my opinion. American cars yes, but toyota in a 40's/50's setting? Replay the commercials again and mentaly replace toyota with Lincoln or Buick...

I think that is the whole point. Toyota is trying to give its self the image of an "American" car. Almost as thought they had always been. I don't know if the American public has such a short memory that they will buy into that or not.

Doug

Feraud

Bartender
Thunderbolt said:
Agreed. The vehicles in those environments do not fit together at all.
In fact the retro scenes make the cars look worse than they already do.

Yeps

Call Me a Cab
Thunderbolt said:

I don't think the problem is that it is a Japanese car, I think the problem is that it is a very modern looking car. If they had just come out with a car that had a bit of a retro feel to it, or the design was inspired by an old style fast train, then it would work. I don't think most modern American cars would look right either.

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
Atomic Age said:
I think that is the whole point. Toyota is trying to give its self the image of an "American" car. Almost as thought they had always been. I don't know if the American public has such a short memory that they will buy into that or not.

Doug

Some so-called "foreign" cars are made in the U.S., some "domestic" cars are made in Mexico.

kowalskt63

Familiar Face
Since this is the Fedora lounge...

did anyone notice the lack of hats on the fella's? I think I only saw a few. So much for capturing the essence of "the olden days"...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo